PDA

View Full Version : need help my baby's down

whiteleroy
10-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Hi all. I'm new here so please no bashing me for being a moron. Here's the short version. Due to my own stupidity I was forced to split the main case. Now during reassembly of my 1985 atc250sx I have two concerns. (beside the fact that this is my first tranny job!!) The output shaft housing is intact and I never took it apart. However shaft takes what seems to me as an enormous amount of force to move and jumps(as if it where binding. I have no reason to think it was bad because it was working before the mishap. I will add here that the root of all of this was blown out swing arm bearings that were so loose that it made the drive shaft rub the drive shaft housing when turning left. It is so hard to turn that I can not possibly shift through all of the gears by hand because I can't turn it to see that everything meshes. Is this normal??? At all?

Dirtcrasher
10-30-2008, 04:32 PM
If you split a 250SX engine and installed it all back together correctly - your alright!!

That is one motor with ALLOT of moving parts.

If you put it on blocks and place it in neutral while rolling the rear tire by hand, can you feel anything?? You may have to disconnect the driveshaft and narrow it down to engine/output or rear differential....

Putting it in neutral may nut help much if any of the gears are in backwards or thrust washers out of place etc etc.

Anyhow, it should shift and run smooth as glass.

whiteleroy
10-30-2008, 08:50 PM
the engine is on a workbench and I have not put it back together. Mainly because I want to know that the output shaft/housing are ok before I use my gasket kit and go through all the work. If I remove the housing but keep it in tact. In other words the part that the drive shaft slides into and the shaft that goes through the engine. Should it be turning freely or is lots of resistance normal? If it helps this engine has set apart for over a year because my single dad working butt hasn't been able to get around to it. I have cleaned my shed and made this priority one. It's gonna snow soon. Thanks.