PDA

View Full Version : Picked up an ATC250R today

Groundworx
10-28-2008, 07:12 PM
I picked up a 1985 ATC250R. It is pretty clean. Needs a grab bar and someone used red spray paint to touch up the frame. Doesn't look bad though. Runs awesome too. Has a cool head and FMF. It must have a stroker crank or something. There is a spacer plate between the base of the cylinder and the bottom end. I gave 1300 for it. All plastics are good (maier). I have been wanting another R for quite a while. Just came across this one, made an offer and he took it. Most of these around here are going for no less than $2k. What do you guys think? Sorry, the pics are from a phone so they are not the best quality. I will get my good camera out in a couple of days and shoot some good pics. These pics really do not do the trike justice.

cybrman
10-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Sweet looking bike.
If everything is as good under the covers I'd say you got a fair deal.
After all the work I've done with a pile of $500 machines, I'd definitely buy it for $1300.00. Though I do prefer to bring the heaps back it is a lot of work, but rewarding.

SYKO
10-28-2008, 08:17 PM
the spacer plate could be for a stroker or just the 89 long rod crankshaft... goo deal though!

Groundworx
10-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys. I plan on taking it down to the frame and doing a nice restore job on it. Right now, I don't have the time to. Its funny how that works. I either have the time and no money, or have the money and no time. Those are future plans anyway. I plan on showing it off at the dunes along with my 07 450R. I have wanted a water cooled R for a long time. I have had a few 83-84s and quite a few TRI-Zs. It seems everytime I try to work a deal on one, it gets sold out from under me or something else falls through.

Does the 89 long rod crank do anything for power?

SYKO
10-28-2008, 08:36 PM
dunno I havnt finished my motor all the way yet... told it helps quite a bit if your still running the 85-88 cylinder and piston.

Groundworx
10-28-2008, 08:45 PM
I was told the top end was done in this one last summer. The guy I got it from didn't know much about it. These are just things that are visible to me.

Autophysn
10-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Sweet deal bro, I like it!
How is the suspension and such? Did the guy throw in paddles?
Got mine for $1600 and it was in an all orginal condition, but the front forks are weak and the back shock seems weak. other than that, it's practically stock. Was sitting for 10yrs.
Anyway, it looks good dude, congrats!

Groundworx
10-28-2008, 10:08 PM
The suspension was something I checked. I have ended up with numerous trikes with blown rear shocks. I hate that. The front is fine. The rear isn't bouncy, but I think it might be a little weak. I am sure that the rear shock wasn't designed for a 250lb rider though. Thanks, I am real happy with it. I can't wait to take it out for a good ride...

tecat-z
10-28-2008, 11:47 PM
87-89 trx models used long rod cranks. 85-86 atc/trx had short rod. Typically strokers use the long rod crank. Less rod angle, less side load. Oh....... nice bike btw.

Tecate 50
10-29-2008, 01:58 AM
Another diamond in the ruff......good luck on the resto! Trike looks solid.

Autophysn
10-29-2008, 02:17 AM
The suspension was something I checked. I have ended up with numerous trikes with blown rear shocks. I hate that. The front is fine. The rear isn't bouncy, but I think it might be a little weak. I am sure that the rear shock wasn't designed for a 250lb rider though. Thanks, I am real happy with it. I can't wait to take it out for a good ride...

I feel you bro, I weigh 320lbs, the bike has enough power for me, but I do need to tighten the tension setting on the spring:lol:

Groundworx
10-29-2008, 07:53 AM
Another diamond in the ruff......good luck on the resto! Trike looks solid.

It seems to be solid. The resto is still a while away. I will probably start on it next summer. I should have a little more time then.

TravEX
10-29-2008, 08:02 AM
Great find! I miss my R!

UlsterATCFan
10-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Good straight looking trike mate

Groundworx
10-29-2008, 11:43 PM
Well, I got to go out and mess with it more today. The rear sprocket must be smaller than stock. It will pull the front wheel up on its own, but not like it should. It takes off like crazy in 3rd. I had my son run my 07 450R (pipe and K&N are the mods). He jumped out in front of me until I hit 3rd. Then I gradually started pulling back up. I believe if I had enough room to get in 4th and 5th, I probably could have got back in front. There are a few little things that need some attention.

The rear shock resivoir was zip tied to the rear brake line. That was a problem waiting to happen. I pulled it over and tied it to the frame for now. The air box is missing and an open foam filter is being run. It has been kept clean. I am probably going to get a different fuel tank for it. This one has some fading. Small tear in the side of the seat. There is some overspray from a spray can touch up job that needs to be cleaned. It really runs out good though. I am very pleased with it. I hope to grab a 350X soon as well.

ceaserthethird
10-30-2008, 02:20 AM
Awesome Score, It's a Great Start !

rdlsz24
10-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Very nice. I see you have a whole shed full of toys!

Rob

Groundworx
11-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Very nice. I see you have a whole shed full of toys!

Rob

Yeah, I have a few. I sell them on the side for some extra $$. I have a 07 450R and now this 85 250R for my personal rides. I will probably let my 07 go pretty soon. People come to look at a bike and ask about it. When I tell them it is mine, they immediately have to have that one. I am going to Little Sahara tomorrow and that is why I bought the 450R. It will be up for sale Thurs.

Autophysn
11-04-2008, 10:02 PM
if you get a chance, count the teeth on your sprocket set up for me please.
I am looking to change mine, but want short burst of power like you explain, especially in third. I dune ride, and am not sure what set to start with.
I would appreciate it bro, thanks!

Groundworx
12-09-2008, 12:43 AM
if you get a chance, count the teeth on your sprocket set up for me please.
I am looking to change mine, but want short burst of power like you explain, especially in third. I dune ride, and am not sure what set to start with.
I would appreciate it bro, thanks!

Sorry, I forgot to do that. I will try to remember to do that tomorrow.

I picked up another 85 R a couple of days ago. It is missing the chain. Once that gets here and I get it on, I will ride it and see what the story on it is. If it turns out good, I am going to order some plastics. Here are some pics of the one I picked up a couple of days ago.

Groundworx
12-09-2008, 12:45 AM
Here are some better pics of the one I started this thread about. I did some cleaning and what not. Then I rode it so it is a little dusty in the pics..

Groundworx
01-27-2009, 10:53 PM
I put this trike up on craigslist for sale last week. I got an interesting call on it. The guy that called told me he thought it was his old trike. He got to describing it and he described it right down to the grips. He told me he actually built the trike. It does have a stroker crank. He told me he has all the reciepts for the motor. There is about $2k in the motor. He couldn't remember everything that was done without looking at the reciepts, but he said it does have the stroker kit, ported and polished, cool head. I haven't got to take it out. I have only ridden it around my house and nieghborhood. I know in a straight line, it will take out my 450Rs. Anyway, in light of all the new info, it is no longer for sale...

honda250sx
01-27-2009, 11:10 PM
lol ya know it just never works out like that. Most HISTORY you never get when you buy something. Then stuff like this happens and totally changes the situation. Good Karma for you my friend.

Groundworx
01-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Yeah, the guy I got it from knew nothing about it. I told the guy that called me that I would sell it to him if he wanted it. I don't think he was really interested in it, just wanted to talk. I have already put a little bit of money into and done some cleaning up. So it looks a little different and better...