PDA

View Full Version : question about gaskets

Hoosier_Daddy
10-21-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm having a hard time finding gaskets and was wondering, if i could use gasket material to cut out new gaskets and if that would be ok? I'm not talking about head gaskets. I mean just the gaskets like water pump cover gaskets and side cover gaskets and stuff like that. If I do use the gasket material should i use a gasket sealer with it too?

fabiodriven
10-21-2008, 10:13 PM
That "cut your own gasket" stuff would pbrobly work. You could use your own discretion about using sealer. Nothing looks more hanous than a ton of silicone blobbing out everywhere.

nd4speed
10-21-2008, 10:13 PM
I have used a sheet of bulk gasket to cut out for water pump and intake. I still usually coat it thin with silicon, Permatex high temp, high tack or copper spray ect. Just did a water pump cover 2 weeks ago. I sprayed the cover with copper spray and pressed the cover to the bulk gasket and then used an exacto knife and drill.

nd4speed
10-21-2008, 10:16 PM
I don't even remember where I got the bulk gasket sheet. It has lasted forever. I still have to cut another water pump for KX500.

If your sealer oozes out all over just cut it off with a knife. I personally could care less as long as it is sealed. It usually ends up covered in dirt anyway.

Hoosier_Daddy
10-21-2008, 11:29 PM
OK, guys thanks. I just want to make sure it will work. I won't over-use the sealer but if any seeps out i would clean it up so it wouldn't be noticable.

I think I got the gasket material at Menard's or home depot but I can get it at the local auto parts also.

Actually, maybe i got it at Advance Auot. I can't remember. haha

nd4speed
10-21-2008, 11:33 PM
I probably bought mine at AutoZone.

For intake I put the reed cage on my scanner and made a paper template and traced it. The odd ball 1987 Larger intake gasket on LT250R and LT500R are not included in gasket sets.

Brockey
10-21-2008, 11:43 PM
Be careful if its gas related. Silicone if exposed to it will flake off and clog your fuel system. See this on sending units cause problems lots in cars. So just use enough. Also there are different thicknesses of gasket paper. I usually cut all the shapes with it on one part. Take a piece of brake line roughly the size of the bolt holes and sharpen the brake line to use as a punch to make the bolt holes. Any excess paper once its put together can be trimmed off easily. I normally just buy the heavy gasket paper and the spray copper gasket maker.

Hoosier_Daddy
10-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Be careful if its gas related. Silicone if exposed to it will flake off and clog your fuel system. See this on sending units cause problems lots in cars. So just use enough. Also there are different thicknesses of gasket paper. I usually cut all the shapes with it on one part. Take a piece of brake line roughly the size of the bolt holes and sharpen the brake line to use as a punch to make the bolt holes. Any excess paper once its put together can be trimmed off easily. I normally just buy the heavy gasket paper and the spray copper gasket maker.No, I won't put any silicone on it. I won't be making any gaskets for the intake right now. Just for the water pump cover, the side covers, stator cover etc.

nd4speed
10-21-2008, 11:49 PM
I do not use silicone on intake. Silicone for water pump. But high temp gasket maker for auto valve covers and stuff is gas resistant.

The paper gasket I bought was on the thick side. And I like copper spray gasket a lot now too.

super90
10-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Yes gasket paper does work. I bought a 3' roll at napa auto for around 5 bucks and made a right side case gasket for my friends 200x, works excelent. It is the rubber fiber type though, there may be different kinds too. To trace it I put a thin layer of oil on the case and stuck the paper over it so it made a perfect outline of the edges.

nd4speed
10-22-2008, 12:03 AM
I was thinking grease would work and wondered about oil.

Brockey
10-22-2008, 12:22 AM
As super90 said, oil works good. I didnt have my surfaces perfect clean when I made my gaskets so the oil lines were there also.

Tuff
05-21-2011, 11:58 AM
I have had a kellogs corn flakes cereal box brand gasket on the clutch cover of my 185s for 3 years with no leaks. I sprayed it on both sides with this........
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80065-Gasket-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B000HBICK2

call me a redneck, but it works and don't leak :lol:

atc007
05-21-2011, 12:12 PM
I take it you cut out for the oil passages?? That's dedication!

mrmello
05-21-2011, 12:25 PM
One of the best thing to use when gaskets are not there is this stuff.

http://www.permatex.com/products/motorcycle/motorcycle_gasketing/motorcycle_gasket_makers/motorcycle_Permatex_the_Right_Stuff_Gasket_Maker.h tm

We used it in the heavy truck industry for sealing axles, transmissions, diffs, basically anything.

ctbale
05-21-2011, 12:30 PM
yea, be carefull about what atc007 said, bad for tranny to cover up a main or counter shaft oil hole! I routinly make gaskets, mostly I forget to order them, so I use USPS Priority mail flat rate envelopes! HA! getting some of my tax money back. Exacto knife, round hole punches, and a scrap piece of pergo lamanate flooring. hardest one I ever did was last week, a LH case cover for a 71 atc90 eng. I use an acid brush to apply a light coat of grease on the alum mating surface, so the next guy (me) wont have to scrap it off!

ctbale
05-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Oh yea, if you have a 90 with a subtranny, you cant use the liquid gasket, it needs the .008" to .010" paper in there, if not, the chain sprocket wont turn after you tighten the screws ... dont ask me how I know this please.