PDA

View Full Version : No spark - 200x

200x_newbie
10-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Ok, so after my bike was sitting for almost 2 years I did all of the maintenence (new spark plug, oil change, drained and cleaned fuel tank, carb rebuild...). I finally got everything back together and ready to go, but soon found out that I had absolutely no spark. Where should I start to try and figure this out? What are the most common problems in this situation?

I was told by a neighbor that I should probably start with a new wire and coil, so if anyone has them for sale, please let me know.

firehart
10-20-2008, 08:10 PM
You could also try a new cdi module.

honda_atc200es
10-20-2008, 08:10 PM
take off the plug cap, and cut the wire back about a 1/4 inch, put the cap back on. thats one of the easiest fixes

AngusJustice
10-20-2008, 08:11 PM
check and make sure your kill switch wires are ok and its not in the off poss then try a new plug easy to see the spark at night then take the plug off the coil wire make sure you got a good connection there and make sure the wire harness is grounded to the frame well after that your into ignition or cdi box pulse generator etc you could also try some electrical connection spray Good Luck!

200x newby
10-20-2008, 10:05 PM
check all conections and grounds. ive also heard of warming up the cdi in the oven to get the moister out and spraying it with wd40 to draw out the rest of the moister.

rdlsz24
10-20-2008, 10:17 PM
I had a CT70 that I parted out but before I parted it I wanted to make sure it ran. It also had no spark. It ended up being the ground where the coil mounted against the frame was rusty so it was a bad ground. As soon as I wire wheeled it back to shiny I had spark again.

Rob

Howdy
10-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Low of spark: 90%+ of the time I find the exciter coil has gone bad ( 83-85 200x's ). Do a search for "Exciter Coil" here on the forums for more info.
Howdy