PDA

View Full Version : 200ES Big Red Not Starting

DILLIGAF
10-20-2008, 02:08 PM
I got an 84 200ES that won't start. I put a new battery in it and it started fine. I ran it to my neighbors house and visited with him and when I went to go back to my house it wouldn't start. I let it sit for about an hour and a half and it still wouldn't start. It would try to fire off after about 5 minutes of sitting but thats it. I took the air breather off and while it was trying to start it would barely suck my hand up to the opening of the carburator. I took the carb off and cleaned it but I haven't been able to get it back in just yet. When I took the carb off it was full of gas. I had to wait a good 30 to 45 seconds letting the gas poor out of the intake hose. I am thinking that the carb needed to be cleaned so thats what I did. I am just making sure to see if anyone else had this problem. It seems that while it was off, gas was continuing to flow into the carb. Should I get a carb kit?

leokendall
10-21-2008, 07:39 AM
if gas was flowing out of the carb your flats prob was stuck. thus in turn flooding out the engine. did u pull the plug and c what colour it was?
Try a new plug?
when u had your hand on the carb did you have the trottle WOT? i knows on my big red i do not feel any or much pulling force, not even a hight psi rating unless i have the trottle open. lol no trottle psi around 100, trottle open around 150-160 psi.
also your choke may be on,
pluu the plug first to c if you have spark. That would be the first step i woud do.
check around the forums there a manual for the 200es floating around an easy get and a must. at the end of the manual there is a trouble shooting guide.

DILLIGAF
10-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the reply. I will check to see what shape the plug is in and what kind of spark I am getting. When I had my hand against the air intake, I didn't give it any throttle. I just remember my ATC 110 would try and suck my hand through it.

leokendall
10-21-2008, 10:41 AM
place your hand over the intake port. the side the carb goes on. if there is no pressure there. chances you have a buckled or burned valve.

DILLIGAF
10-21-2008, 10:42 AM
OK, I'll try that too. Thanks.