PDA

View Full Version : ???? for those of you who do your own paint.....

saturnthegiant
10-18-2008, 07:33 AM
For a newb, what type of paint setup would a guy need to do a little of his own paint jobs? I scanned over a few paint guns....which is better, siphon or gravity type? Do you need a diferent gun for paint and primer or can you just change nozzles? and last but not least, what' the minimum type compressor you can use? I just want the basic setup to play with and practice around with, maybe paint a tank or two......but my ultimate goal is to do a paint job on a '73 VW Beetle i hope to someday restore. Any points in the right direction would be appreciated!

jims72
10-18-2008, 07:35 AM
gravity is the way to go

seadoo650
10-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Deffinately a gravity gun. a 1.3 mm tip should cover you on primer and paint. If you have a Mac Tools distributor you can get ahold of, we have a real good price on our hvlp gravity gun right now. I believe $149.99 for any size tip. I highly recommend an hvlp gun. Works good with minimal amount of air consumption.

Here's a link.
http://www.mactools.com/portal/site/mactools/menuitem.c5a0dc20e1a10b7c778aad100170c3a0

Page 15 top left.

WIkid500
10-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Hey Seadoo I have that Mac HVLP gun with the 1.3 tip, it is slick. I painted my frame of the 200x base coat and clear coat with it, and it turned out very nice. The gun is very easy to use and sprays very nice.

seadoo650
10-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Hey Seadoo I have that Mac HVLP gun with the 1.3 tip, it is slick. I painted my frame of the 200x base coat and clear coat with it, and it turned out very nice. The gun is very easy to use and sprays very nice.

I have heard that from alot of painters that have pruchased that gun. They were very suprized at how well it sprayed and how easy it was to use. Some painters have compared it to sata.

ProCarbine2k1
10-18-2008, 01:30 PM
I would go with an HVLP. I have a few guns that I use, but for small stuff I love my Sharpe 1.0mm jam gun. Painters use them for door jams and more confined areas which I thought would be perfect for fenders, tanks, and helmets (which is what I mostly paint), and it was.
If you are looking at larger guns I think a 1.5mm would cover anything you wanted to run through it. I bought an older Binks (cant remember the model) at an auction for 10 bucks. Cant beat that!

saturnthegiant
10-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Ok, fellas thanks for the replies