PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild/Salvage/Obtaining A Title

JohnRaven.exe
10-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Alright, so not trike related, but I have a Big Red, so back off! ;)

I have an 1986 Yamaha XT350 that was abandoned on my parents property about 4 years ago... So, naturally, I took possession of it :D Anyways, I finally got it running this week and I would like to get it licensed so I can take it to the street!

The problem is, I have no title for it...

Anyone else ever been in this situation? I've looked on Minnesota's DMV website and it is a total flop... Looks like it hasn't been redesigned in 10 years.

Help?

Erics350x
10-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Im not sure about your state but, its probably not worth the time, effort, and cash that it will take to get it titled.

hondawasaki
10-16-2008, 11:45 PM
I licensed a 56 GMC truck here with no title, took about 2 weeks,a nd cost me 35.00. The DMV did a 50 state title search to see if it had been stolen, then I had to prove ownership with pics of the vin plate, and pics showing the condition of the vehicle. then I had to get it inspected, two weeks later Plates!! good luck.

Autophysn
10-16-2008, 11:55 PM
California is the same, going thru that with my trailer, built a bike trailer out of a boat trailer, no title, need them to inspect for safety and issue a vin#, then plates. But I am sure it will be more than $35

Department of Motor Vehicles are the sweetest people ever:rolleyes:

FastEddy
10-17-2008, 02:23 AM
I'd go to the PD, tell them you're thinking of buying it from craigslist and you want to make sure it's not stolen. Bring the VIN. Assuming it's not, or off the books, have your parents sell it to you for $1, then go to the DMV and act stupid.

This isn't far from a normal craigslist deal. I'm working on my paperwork now. I'm going tomorrow AM.

Autophysn
10-17-2008, 03:06 AM
Be ready to hand the Governator your entire life savings, LOL
They take ATM Debit cards now:w00t:

JohnRaven.exe
10-17-2008, 11:31 AM
I'd go to the PD, tell them you're thinking of buying it from craigslist and you want to make sure it's not stolen. Bring the VIN. Assuming it's not, or off the books, have your parents sell it to you for $1, then go to the DMV and act stupid.

This isn't far from a normal craigslist deal. I'm working on my paperwork now. I'm going tomorrow AM.

But what if it does turn up stolen!? :eek: That would totally suck if they took my bike! I've put sooo much money into it! :(

As for having my parents sell me the bike... Would I just create a bill of sale and what not?

BOB MARLIN
10-17-2008, 12:39 PM
All I know is california rules. Things differ from state to state. Here in CA.
It depends on how long its been since it was licensed. If it has been less than 5
years it will still be on record. Meaning you will be into penalties if was not on
non operation status -No big deal, ask dmv for a "gift statement". This can only
be "gifted" between family members this will keep you from paying sales tax but
you will still be responsible for penalties. If it has been more than 5 years it
MAY NOT be on record any more,but not always. If not on record you will need to
have it "verified" by a licensed verifyer or possibly dmv,here in california it
woud be the highway patroll. Either way, because it owned by a family member
it should'nt be all that hard.

nd4speed
10-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Your parents can apply for title based on it being abandoned on their property, then transfer it to you as family which is usually free.

You can apply for a builders title, like West Coast Choppers, ect. What that entails in MN, I would not know.

firehart
10-19-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm going through that right now with my 185s. I bought it several months ago for $50.00. It was in a guys field with three rotten tires and had not ran in who knows how long. I went to DMV last week. Normally a bill of sale would have been enough because most were not titled back then. But this one had a titled issued in 1996. Now I need to try to find the people and get them to sign it over. If I can't find them through all the channels and I document everything I've tried, they may give me a condition title good for five years.