PDA

View Full Version : 200x hop-ups

2hundredx
10-15-2008, 04:54 PM
what can i do to spice up my '85 200x? im thinkin of buyin a pipe for it. ive heard that dg produces decent power and is in my price range, im also thinking about borin it to freshin it up. how is the kit that is on ebay (the one you send your cylinder in and they send you a bored one back)? what else could i do to it? all suggestions appreciated.

hondahaulic
10-15-2008, 05:32 PM
an aftermarket cam will go great with a pipe. you can get an aftermarket 200x cam, or a stock cam from an xr200 dirtbike will also be an improvement over the stock 200x.

The Goat
10-15-2008, 05:54 PM
that kit is overpriced. You prolly don't need to bore it if you aren't smoking. I'd say cam, valves, then if you want you can have it bored.

But as fast as that 200x gets... A 350x and up will eat you alive. Take it from me, a 200x is a cash cow.

2hundredx
10-15-2008, 05:56 PM
does any one know of somewhere to get an aftermarket cam for the 200x?

Atc GuY
10-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Web-cam?

http://www.webcamshafts.com/pages/atv/honda/honda_atc_200_x_(79-85)_sohc_2v.html

Atc GuY
10-15-2008, 06:54 PM
If that even helps. The website is confusing me saying they're out of stock.

fabiodriven
10-15-2008, 06:58 PM
It may be a waste of time trying to hop that baby up. Those motors are notorious for oiling issues and wearing the surface the cam rides on in the head. They chew up heads no problem with stock cams, nevermind an aftermarket cam that will undoubtedly exert even more bearing-chewing force on the head. You'd be better off saving your $ for a 350X.

seadoo650
10-15-2008, 07:44 PM
But as fast as that 200x gets... A 350x and up will eat you alive. Take it from me, a 200x is a cash cow.

Don't count on it. You just gotta know how to set the 200x up. It'll tear up a 350X in a heart beat on stock bore. Gotta do your homework. Cam+valves+pipe+exhaust+larger crank+larger carb+10.5/1 piston=monster. And still way less than the cost of a nice 350X.

2hundredx
10-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Don't count on it. You just gotta know how to set the 200x up. It'll tear up a 350X in a heart beat on stock bore. Gotta do your homework. Cam+valves+pipe+exhaust+larger crank+larger carb+10.5/1 piston=monster. And still way less than the cost of a nice 350X.

yeah thats wat i was thinkin. i know it wont beat a 350x but i know that i can get it runnin pretty good for a 200. ive decided i want to keep my 200x because i like the lightness and they way it handles. any more suggestions? thanks guys

fabiodriven
10-15-2008, 11:19 PM

Sounds like a ticking timebomb to me. I'll believe it when I see it.

WIkid500
10-15-2008, 11:56 PM

We will see when Mine's done. I will ride it for what it's built for(A beating) and see how she goes.

For the one who was asking about the engine mods. Mine will be a Pow-rol 219 stroker with their 10:1 comp piston, web cam camshaft, Pow-rol cam chain, ported head, bigger valves, hardened rockers, port matched intake, and an XR carb. The head pipe will be made out of 1 1/4" steel. That will be about it for engine. Air box will have D&D air box vents in it, just so I can leave the lid on it... and a Uni foam filter with an outer wears pre screen. You could get by with taking the lid off and running it but I'm not half a$$ing this project. The muffler I'm still up in the air with yet. We will see on that one.

I'm excited with getting the engine going on this beast.

seadoo650
10-16-2008, 12:29 AM
You can ride it if you like. Two plus years of continuous use. Ain't too many 350's can beat it. Do a search for RacerX if you want but by know you'll probably hear from some who have seen it. Garageboy34 even beat a water cooled 250R this yearr at TF on it. You guys with doubts on the little 200x's need to get to honing up your engine building skills.

2quicktecate
10-16-2008, 12:32 AM
i just bought a 200x with some mods done to it and it really rips. i know it has a web cam, oversized weisco 10.5:1, and dg pipe. maybe some other mods that i don't know about yet. i believe it is worth hopping up a 200x

The Goat
10-16-2008, 12:38 AM
I'm sorry, but with just a rough tune on my carb, and some electrical issues, I see no way a 200x is getting near my 350. I've mainly delved into the top in, but seriously... Unless you're running 14:1 on and old dual spark head, plus the mods you listed... I just can't see you being that close.

2quicktecate
10-16-2008, 12:45 AM
my 200x is my trail putter, but some someone wants to race i pull out the tecate! my 450 eater

Autophysn
10-16-2008, 01:33 AM
I wanted to do the same thing with a 350x, just to keep up with my brother and friends on their banshees.

I know we are talking apples and oranges, but I came to the conclusion these guys where right. Saved my money and bought a 250r.

I have yet to ride with them, but have no doubt I will be roosting them!

They may have a point, if you are a 4 stroke kind of guy and love trikes. You really can't go wrong with a 350x.

Beautiful 200x by the way, I would save it for putting around with the kids or trailing.

If that's out of the question, I must agree, My old 200x responded very well to the DG pipe.

seadoo650
10-16-2008, 07:00 AM
I'm sorry, but with just a rough tune on my carb, and some electrical issues, I see no way a 200x is getting near my 350. I've mainly delved into the top in, but seriously... Unless you're running 14:1 on and old dual spark head, plus the mods you listed... I just can't see you being that close.

Bring it on out to TF next year. I'll warn ya though. It'll be faster then.

SCRAMCHARGER318
10-16-2008, 09:49 AM
poweroll makes a kit for the 185/200 engines that makes it have the same horsepower and MORE torque than a stock 250r, if it'll be faster than a 250r then it will definetly eat up a stock 350x.

1986 200X -just bought it
1986 250sx -reckless abandon
1974 dodge dart -swamp rat
1992 dodge ramcharger 4x4 318 magnum MPI
1995 dodge 1 ton cargo van 360 magnum

WIkid500
10-16-2008, 10:03 AM
poweroll makes a kit for the 185/200 engines that makes it have the same horsepower and MORE torque than a stock 250r, if it'll be faster than a 250r then it will definetly eat up a stock 350x.

Where did you hear it makes the same power as the 250r?

If it does that will be sweet this spring when mine's done. The only thing I need to beat up on is a buddy with a 400ex, other than that beating the other stuff is just a bonus. lol

SCRAMCHARGER318
10-16-2008, 10:57 AM
those words are straight out of a powroll catalog i have from about 6 years ago,
when i get home tonight i'll dig that book out and see what the part# is, i was gonna do the kit to my 185s but decided to go with a 250sx instead for the reverse and rear suspension. trouble is they dont make much for performance parts for a 250sx motor anymore, so i'm gonna do the trx300 conversion, matter of fact i just picked up my engine yesterday, put a high comp wiesco piston, megacycle cam and valve springs, then well see what kinda animal it is, i still don't think it will be as fast as a 250r but i know i'll have more TORQUE.

1986 honda 200x -just bought it
1986 honda 250sx -reckless abandon
1974 dodge dart -swamp rat
1992 dodge ramcharger 4x4 318 magnum MPI
1995 dodge 1995 dodge van 360 magnum MPI

WIkid500
10-16-2008, 11:50 AM
That would be cool. Take a pic or scan of the magazine if you can.

How does the Mega cycle cam look? I like the needle bearing set up they have for the 200x.

WIkid500
10-16-2008, 01:48 PM
megacycle is a bunch of good guys...I hve their stuff in the 350.

I wouldn't be reading too much into powroll... They say a crank case vent system from them provides a 10% boost in hp. A stroker kit doubles the torque and their 40cc big bore kit adds 40% more hp.

I feel like telling a grandiose lie too, umm team red rider and james9r9r were the two smartest people ever on this board.

Now I'm not saying you couldn't build a 200x with 30+ hp, I'm simply saying that powroll doesn't make the parts. A stock x pushes 11-12 hp at the wheels. 350x pushes 22, air r is 23, I'm not sure on the liquid, I'm just saying to the guy who started the thread... Getting double the hp rating of your engine won't be easy or cheap, just to keep up.

I love my little 200x, but I realize a stock big bore utility can eat it alive.

Goat, What I'm really looking for is a stroker crank, rod and a piston for the 200x Everyone says that pow-rol has a good setup that will last. I don't give a real rip what they say it makes for power, If your stroking a crank your going to make more power, mainly torque. Is there any other company that has a similar set up for the 200x IE stroker crank, rod and piston? It needs to be reliable for trail riding. I will go with a mega cycle cam or a web cam, Not buying into pow-rol there.

WIkid500
10-16-2008, 02:16 PM
I would just find out if you can use a wiseco or prox piston. 60 by is for one is alot different than 200 for a powroll that they likely don't make themselves.

Call megacycle, they will hook you up.

with the stroker crank you need to cut the bottom of the piston for clearance between the skirt and the crank. I could just do it here at school on the mill If we have the right dia. cutter.

Does Mega cycle do a stroker crank?

SCRAMCHARGER318
10-16-2008, 02:37 PM
http://www.powroll.com/P_HONDA_XR200.htm that's all powroll makes for the 200x, as far as reliability my father has been running a powroll piston, crank, rod, cam, and valve springs in his atc 90 since the mid 70's very high quality, right now his 90 is putting 15 horse to the ground, and it is faster than a 110,125m, any 185 or 200es/m/s/x and the 250es. it even beat's my sx through the first four gears,
it's one bad mutha for a 90. there products are good if they weren't powroll would have been out of business along time ago.

willrideanythin
10-16-2008, 02:42 PM

Your kind of a downer arent you. Every thread I see you its no positive remarks, Always crapping on something. Just tell him what can be had, Its his build.

WIkid500
10-16-2008, 03:04 PM
http://www.powroll.com/P_HONDA_XR200.htm that's all powroll makes for the 200x, as far as reliability my father has been running a powroll piston, crank, rod, cam, and valve springs in his atc 90 since the mid 70's very high quality, right now his 90 is putting 15 horse to the ground, and it is faster than a 110,125m, any 185 or 200es/m/s/x and the 250es. it even beat's my sx through the first four gears,
it's one bad mutha for a 90. there products are good if they weren't powroll would have been out of business along time ago.

That's good to hear about the 90, and pow-rol. I am going to go with their stroker crank and piston for ease of compatibility and reliability. The rest I can do on my own. I figure If I press the crank bearings off before I send them the crank, put new bearings in the box and have them install them when they put the crank back together there should be no problem. For 400 dollars for a piston, rod, and crank work I don't think that's too bad.

fabiodriven
10-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Your kind of a downer arent you. Every thread I see you its no positive remarks, Always crapping on something. Just tell him what can be had, Its his build.

Just being realistic, buddy. I'm not the only guy on this thread with doubts. To be honest, I've just been reading the newer posts and catching up on some info and some of the stuff these guys are talking about does sound promising and has me re-thinking the whole idea. It's just a matter of putting a huge amount of money into something that's only going to be equal to or a little faster than the next step up, 250R or 350X. I can totally see doing this if you wanted to say you have a sick fast 200X or if you just really love that particular trike. It just seems cost-prohibitive, again unless the 200X is really your thing.

I did tell him what I know from experience with my own 200X- they chew up heads. That's actually a well known fact. I told him he may have to address oiling issues too. But if these guys are talking about stroker cranks and what not, obviously oiling issues are miniscule compared to stroking and stuff. I had no idea people did that much to 200X's. That's the point of the forum, to learn-

SCRAMCHARGER318
10-16-2008, 04:37 PM
That's good to hear about the 90, and pow-rol. I am going to go with their stroker crank and piston for ease of compatibility and reliability. The rest I can do on my own. I figure If I press the crank bearings off before I send them the crank, put new bearings in the box and have them install them when they put the crank back together there should be no problem. For 400 dollars for a piston, rod, and crank work I don't think that's too bad.

i am not sure but i believe my father told me a long time ago that the stroker crank that powroll makes for the 90 is actually a stock 110 crank (I think)
you may be able to save a little money if you bought a used one off ebay and having new bearings put on it, not absolutely sure but it's worth looking into.

fabiodriven - I to have also heard about the 185/200 engines eating up cams and heads, it never happend to my 185 but i have heard it from at least 2 diffrent people over the years.

2hundredx
10-16-2008, 04:41 PM
thanks again guys for all the info. me and my budget know that i wont get this thing close to the 350x or 250r. i was just wonderin wat i could do to get a little more out of it. i think ill pipe it with the dg rcm exhaust, xr cam it, xr carb it, and maybe put a set of new valves in. what do you think?

fabiodriven
10-16-2008, 04:58 PM
thanks again guys for all the info. me and my budget know that i wont get this thing close to the 350x or 250r. i was just wonderin wat i could do to get a little more out of it. i think ill pipe it with the dg rcm exhaust, xr cam it, xr carb it, and maybe put a set of new valves in. what do you think?

Look into the oiling system first- I'm not sure what you have to do to it to make it live, but you should find out. Like I said, these bikes eat heads with a stock cam, nevermind aftermarket.

sandpuppi101
10-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Well let me start out by saying that I used to have the beliefe that a 200X ,was just a clutched 200S with full suspension.I've had probably close to 20 200X trike's and my first ever race machine was an '85 ATC 200X.Back in the 80's you did'nt have the motor option's that you see nowday's on them.White Bros. was the big hitter when it came to setting your thumper up.You could build your machine in differant phase's.I believe they offered up too a phase 4 kit which included a pipe,cam,roost boost,hi-comp piston,and a stroker crank,valve's and spring's,and an oil cooler.But even for back in the mid 80's you were looking at 5-9 hundo for these kit's,if I'm not mistaken.In fact if you look in the old Dirt Wheel's or 3 wheel action magazine's in the back you'll see all type's of option's for em'.
Now why would you build a 200X and spend all that money when you can just buy a stock 350X? I guess it's a matter of a person's own opinion,but I would be all for building a 200X built to the gill's.It's kinda like why did I build my 600X,my answer is ,Why Not.. I'd love to have a rocket of a 200X and maybe someday I'll do it.
As far as what Seadoo is claiming on his 200X,I am here to tell ya all that he is being 110% correct on how fast that machine actually is.I am one of the guy's that got beat by him and his wife Mr's Seadoo on my 350X,and Mr's Seadoo remind's me of that every now and then .And my 350x was'nt completely stock at the time either, that machine is a rocket for sure.I would actually look up Seadoo's thread on how that machine is built and build your motor to the spec's on that 200X if you want a fast machine.
I have built some very nice machine's for people ,whom spent lot's of money on them,and I usually alway's get the answer that they had that particular model when they were younger and alway's regreted getting rid of it,but now that they are settled into there live's they want to have that part of there life back ,and alot of time's ,money is'nt an issue,they just want a smile on there face ,just like they had when they were young.

Dirtcrasher
10-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Both the 350X and 200X run there cams directly on aluminum. If the oil pump is fresh and the oil clean, I don't see any problem with oil delivery. It's the older machines that get hopped up without any attention to the oil pump etc that seem to fail. The 350X is easily just as notorious for failure issues....

The 86/87 200X run the cam in bearings which is great! less drag and less wear! I believe the 86/87 200X is light years above the 85 in terms of ergonomics, handling and numerous improvements. The problem is in the availability of performance parts for the 2nd generation X.....

I think that no matter what you do to the engine it's the overall combonation/package that has to be tuned for the best results. And that truly can be a time consuming task!

I put a brand new Mikuni 30MM on my 86 motor with 12:1, Supertrapp, lightened the flywheel, head porting (by Mickey Dunlap), Webcam, performance springs and retainers and put in a brand new oil pump, Barnett clutch kit, fatter 87 kickershaft and replaced all the cam chain tensioners and chain.

I could not get it jetted at TF08 due to a lack of jets availability and since I got home I ran into more problems. Sudco was useless in providing me jets, although they call it a "Mikuni", Sudco calls it a knock off and wouldn't even sell me a rebuild or gasket kit. Let alone the proper pilot jet... So, I got sick of dealing with that new 30MM carb.

Since then I bought a RARE Whitebrothers flatslide carb from Garageboy (THANK YOU MARK!!) and just haven't got around to purchasing some jets and a rebuild kit. It is machined to run the stock front flange which allows me to use the airbox with no mods. Thats the biggest thing, we can FIND carbs that can be made to work on the 200X but then you can't run your airbox. And in the area I ride, I need my airbox. There aren't any dunes in Massachusetts :D When I do get it dialed in, I plan on seeing what I can actually get out of this motor running race gas. Even dialed in though, a stroker crank is the way to go and can really get some power out of these 200CC powerplants. It also allows you to run a different connecting rod (you can't get every OEM part from Honda) as you can decide where to rebore the big end bearing.

I think that 30 day build and trip to TF08 just really sukked the life out of me for awhile and took months to get back on track from.

That 85 200X SEADOO is talking about is FAST!! and a total sleeper :naughty:. I'd never think it was anything special by just looking at it. But it goes to show you that someone spent sometime getting it all dialed in and it WORKS!!

2hundredx
10-16-2008, 08:15 PM
hey thanks guys. and SEADOO do you have any videos or pics of this three wheeler. would love to see it!

oscarmayer
10-16-2008, 08:26 PM
what can i do to spice up my '85 200x? im thinkin of buyin a pipe for it. ive heard that dg produces decent power and is in my price range, im also thinking about borin it to freshin it up. how is the kit that is on ebay (the one you send your cylinder in and they send you a bored one back)? what else could i do to it? all suggestions appreciated.

cnc valve job and lower cnc porting aroudn the valve seating area? has the same head as my 200e and it make a world of difference over a stocker.

you want to get a weisco high comp piston. that's about a 10.25-10.5:1 comp.

web cam (stage 3 is all you ned anymore and you need to do lots of extra work and require special retainers and such.)

willrideanythin
10-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Not to steal the thread, But what parts cross over to the 86-87s. There seems to to be alot of info on the 83-85 but sadly no info (that I found) on the 86-87.

Oh and yes pix and vids please.

Dirtcrasher
10-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Not to steal the thread, But what parts cross over to the 86-87s. There seems to to be alot of info on the 83-85 but sadly no info (that I found) on the 86-87.

Oh and yes pix and vids please.

Instead of busting your chops about using the search feature... I'll just give you whats off the top of my head -

Mostly none of the chassis or suspension parts swap.

The 2nd gen forks are 3/4 inch longer and swap but not the tripple clamps due to the stops - Bars, levers, thottle can all be used and tires/rims. Carb can be used, different size stuff though.....

EDIT - Calipers are all similar from the air cooled R - to the 1st and 2nd gen 200X and can be use also..... Pads are all the same.

They don't share very much

willrideanythin
10-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Instead of busting your chops about using the search feature... I'll just give you whats off the top of my head -

Mostly none of the chassis or suspension parts swap.

The 2nd gen forks are 3/4 inch longer and swap but not the tripple clamps due to the stops - Bars, levers, thottle can all be used and tires/rims. Carb can be used, different size stuff though.....

EDIT - Calipers are all similar from the air cooled R - to the 1st and 2nd gen 200X and can be use also..... Pads are all the same.

They don't share very much

I meant whats out there for performance stuff. Will the same mods from the 1rst gen work with the 2nd gen? Pretty much what from other models trike bike or quad cross over and what parts are produced?

Please don't yell at me, As I am fragile.

:beer

greenhuman
10-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Go with the Powroll 64mm stroker . I have done some ridiculous mods to 200x engines over the years with no problems with cam/head failures. The cam does not run straight on aluminum. It runs on oil. If it ever does fail it is a pure maintenance issue.

fabiodriven
10-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Go with the Powroll 64mm stroker . I have done some ridiculous mods to 200x engines over the years with no problems with cam/head failures. The cam does not run straight on aluminum. It runs on oil. If it ever does fail it is a pure maintenance issue.

There you go- seems the whole cam thing is a myth. (Although mine really did blow, probly because of lack of maintenence.)

Erics350x
10-16-2008, 10:27 PM
The most common cause of cam failure "back in the day" that i saw was, bacyard mechanic's gobbing on silicone and clogging oil passages.

Go for it, build the crap outta the 200x and tell us how it turns out.

jims72
10-17-2008, 05:39 AM
My ol' clunker 200x recently gave a 350x a run for its money.i like the 350 and want one,but dont underestimate the power of a smaller package.It is all about the power to weight ratio yada yada so on and so forth. I would like to experiment with a small turbo on my bike.I turbo charged a 110 about two years ago and was able to keep up with my buddies vw rabbit.

SCRAMCHARGER318
10-17-2008, 08:25 AM
That would be cool. Take a pic or scan of the magazine if you can.

How does the Mega cycle cam look? I like the needle bearing set up they have for the 200x.

i don't have the ability to scan it but i wrote it down word for word, keep in mind there listing these parts for the xr200 but they're the same.

218cc premium kit #KXR200PREM
66mm bore+stroke 11:1 compression

"It's hard to beat a powerolled XR200 in tight woods and tough technical terrain.
Excellent torque, Quick throttle response and awesom topend give this setup the
same horspower and MORE torque than a stock XR250R overall power increase of
about 50%".

kit includes
Bore kit #00317
stroke #16047
camshaft #12714n (substitute cam #12701 for smoother overall power)
valve springs #24012T
Requires: boring your cylinder, rejetting, send your crank for modification.

back to my opinion as far as eating up cams,just make sure you mic the journals
of your head to make sure there still in spec. if it's not in spec get a new head.
otherwise you should be good to go, check all clearances and i don't think you'll have any problem.

Texas 200x
10-17-2008, 10:05 AM
When you do your rebuild no matter what crank, piston, or cam you use, its worth putting in a new oil pump. I personally can't see the point in doing any of it to have the most important thing fail and crater everything else you did to the motor. Get a new oil pump and run fully synthetic and you shouldn't have to worry much about cam or head wear.

seadoo650
10-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Here are some pics in varius modes.

The first is after the Smith Road MX last year. Second and third is from the TF-08 Drags. And yet it spanked the 350x in the third pic. The fourth is in drag mode. The fifth and sixth are MX mode form Smith Road this year. Keep in mind this bike is used for trail, MX and drags.

seadoo650
10-17-2008, 07:24 PM
This is the current state of the machine and probably the main reason it is NOT a ticking time bomb. It gets tore down and maintained very well in the off season. Every bushing, bearing, gasket and seal gets inspected or replaced. It'll look totally different next year and be a little faster yet. I only run fully synthetic oils and the top parts. Plus a little boost of 50/50 94 octane and VP-112 octane fuel mix. Maintenance boys maintenance.

The last pic is the wife form TF-07. Imagine getting beat by a girl on a 200x and your sporting a 350. Man, can't wait till next year.

oscarmayer
10-19-2008, 02:22 PM
i still say he needs to do the cvc valving job. it makes a hugh difference in torque.

The Goat
10-19-2008, 10:49 PM
I say if she beat that 350 with a launch like she had that thing must be like lightening or that guy was the worst driver in history! Lolshifting all the weight to the drive tires is one thing, what she's doing.... That's something else.

seadoo650
10-20-2008, 07:32 PM
I say if she beat that 350 with a launch like she had that thing must be like lightening or that guy was the worst driver in history! Lolshifting all the weight to the drive tires is one thing, what she's doing.... That's something else.

She's only running a 200 in that pic. But she did beat him. It's hard for her to keep it down only wieghing 90 lbs. Heck I even have a hard time keepin' the front down and I wiegh 175.

seadoo650
10-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Did'nt mean to steal you thread 2hundred. Build that 200x and show them how it's done. I'm not gonna tell ya how mines done. I've given enough away allready. But it does not have a massive amount of money into it as some may think. You gotta do your research and build it smart.

2hundredx
10-20-2008, 08:17 PM
seadoo, are you running the stock sprockets with 20 inch tires ?

edog
10-20-2008, 09:38 PM
I said it before and i'll say it again....remove the spark plug and thread on an R.:naughty:

:TrikesOwn Air fooler or water pumper:TrikesOwn

2hundredx
10-20-2008, 10:11 PM
I said it before and i'll say it again....remove the spark plug and thread on an R.:naughty:

what do you mean and why?:crazy:

fabiodriven
10-20-2008, 10:21 PM
what do you mean and why?:crazy:

He means get a 250R, I think he's saying it would just be easier.

seadoo650
10-20-2008, 11:38 PM
seadoo, are you running the stock sprockets with 20 inch tires ? Deffinately not stock on rear. Smaller but not sure what size. Front I believe is stock. 18 in. tires for MX and Pro Wedges on the strip.

seadoo650
10-20-2008, 11:42 PM

I guarantee I have WAY less coin in the 200 than you have in your 250 and it could prolly take you on the strip. Ohhhh. The challenge has been offered.

jims72
10-21-2008, 12:00 AM
The most common cause of cam failure "back in the day" that i saw was, bacyard mechanic's gobbing on silicone and clogging oil passages.

Go for it, build the crap outta the 200x and tell us how it turns out.

They did put it in a bad spot didn't they.

bigpimpin
11-10-2008, 12:46 AM
Both the 350X and 200X run there cams directly on aluminum. If the oil pump is fresh and the oil clean, I don't see any problem with oil delivery. It's the older machines that get hopped up without any attention to the oil pump etc that seem to fail. The 350X is easily just as notorious for failure issues....

The 86/87 200X run the cam in bearings which is great! less drag and less wear! I believe the 86/87 200X is light years above the 85 in terms of ergonomics, handling and numerous improvements. The problem is in the availability of performance parts for the 2nd generation X.....

I think that no matter what you do to the engine it's the overall combonation/package that has to be tuned for the best results. And that truly can be a time consuming task!

I put a brand new Mikuni 30MM on my 86 motor with 12:1, Supertrapp, lightened the flywheel, head porting (by Mickey Dunlap), Webcam, performance springs and retainers and put in a brand new oil pump, Barnett clutch kit, fatter 87 kickershaft and replaced all the cam chain tensioners and chain.

I could not get it jetted at TF08 due to a lack of jets availability and since I got home I ran into more problems. Sudco was useless in providing me jets, although they call it a "Mikuni", Sudco calls it a knock off and wouldn't even sell me a rebuild or gasket kit. Let alone the proper pilot jet... So, I got sick of dealing with that new 30MM carb.

Since then I bought a RARE Whitebrothers flatslide carb from Garageboy (THANK YOU MARK!!) and just haven't got around to purchasing some jets and a rebuild kit. It is machined to run the stock front flange which allows me to use the airbox with no mods. Thats the biggest thing, we can FIND carbs that can be made to work on the 200X but then you can't run your airbox. And in the area I ride, I need my airbox. There aren't any dunes in Massachusetts :D When I do get it dialed in, I plan on seeing what I can actually get out of this motor running race gas. Even dialed in though, a stroker crank is the way to go and can really get some power out of these 200CC powerplants. It also allows you to run a different connecting rod (you can't get every OEM part from Honda) as you can decide where to rebore the big end bearing.

I think that 30 day build and trip to TF08 just really sukked the life out of me for awhile and took months to get back on track from.

That 85 200X SEADOO is talking about is FAST!! and a total sleeper :naughty:. I'd never think it was anything special by just looking at it. But it goes to show you that someone spent sometime getting it all dialed in and it WORKS!!

can you post pics of that Whitebrothers flatslide carb and intake?

The Goat
11-10-2008, 03:21 AM
I guarantee I have WAY less coin in the 200 than you have in your 250 and it could prolly take you on the strip. Ohhhh. The challenge has been offered.

You might be fast, but I seem to remember seeing a video of edog actually riding the piss out of that r when I first arrived... She's far from slow.

Schmees R is also far from slow... He can still break em loose at 50. Now I'm not ragging on your x, but even if you're putting down over double the hp of a stock bike, you're still 20hp short and only 30 pounds lighter.

I'd give ya better odds on a track actually.

seadoo650
11-10-2008, 11:25 AM
You might be fast, but I seem to remember seeing a video of edog actually riding the piss out of that r when I first arrived... She's far from slow.

Schmees R is also far from slow... He can still break em loose at 50. Now I'm not ragging on your x, but even if you're putting down over double the hp of a stock bike, you're still 20hp short and only 30 pounds lighter.

I'd give ya better odds on a track actually.

Ya, I know you're not downing it. But just imagine a 200X that can keep up with a liquid R. Kinda cool. Once I get it rebuilt I try to get some vids of it in action. On a side note it is getting done just like the Powroll 200x (except with a Cal-Fab swinger). Frame and parts go to the powder coaters soon.

bigpimpin
11-10-2008, 11:44 AM
how about a full write up on your X?

seadoo650
11-10-2008, 12:28 PM
how about a full write up on your X?

I did a write up on it along time back but I can't find it anymore. I'll try to get some more detailed specs when I tear the motor back apart. Plus I'll get a ton of detailed pics. Can't give all the secrets away though.

2hundred??? What did you end up deciding for your 200X??

bigpimpin
11-10-2008, 12:39 PM
that would be great. thanks!

The Goat
11-10-2008, 01:18 PM
yeah, geared high with the ability to pull the gears, no doubt it's a machine. Anyone have that old vid of edogs r?

2hundredx
11-10-2008, 05:57 PM
I did a write up on it along time back but I can't find it anymore. I'll try to get some more detailed specs when I tear the motor back apart. Plus I'll get a ton of detailed pics. Can't give all the secrets away though.

2hundred??? What did you end up deciding for your 200X??

i think im gonna freshin it up, xr cam and carb it, and slap on a dg pipe. nothing too major. just wanna get it doin good and ride.