PDA

View Full Version : ATC 250r Mugen

Swamp trike
10-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Here's a trike that my friend picked up this weekend...
Pretty sweet, if U ask me:naughty:

ceaserthethird
10-13-2008, 11:39 AM
looks awesome, who restored it ?

Saul
10-13-2008, 12:12 PM
I own an 82 myself. Now I see this - and it's - back to the drawing board for me!!

That looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor!! OMG!

Swamp trike
10-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Some Honda-loving guy in Sweden who was the second owner on this bike..
He had a garage full of old Hondas, that all had a finish better then new!!

maggiesboy
10-13-2008, 12:23 PM
very sweet trike.

Saul
10-13-2008, 12:27 PM
You GOTTA get more pics and PLEASE - please get a video of this trike in action? That's if it's ever ridden. If not - a start up video please?

Swamp trike
10-13-2008, 12:50 PM
This all the photomaterial I have for now
We where out riding last Sunday, and I have some video of the ATC in action that I will try to post soon....

Dirtcrasher
10-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Man, that trike is a BEAUTY!!

Looks like something VintageMike would build!!

Swamp trike
10-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Here's a small videoclip of the Mugen-Atc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4PrvZru8R8

Eric250R
10-13-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure if I love or hate the fact the he went straight for a mudhole...:lol: But one sweet ride.

88 Turbo Coupe
10-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Vooten veeten vaten Vooten!!!!

tecat-z
10-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Poor bike. There's such a thing as use, and than there's abuse/stupidity. It's gonna be roasted in no time by the looks of the careless helmetless rider.

Saul
10-13-2008, 03:07 PM
OMG!

If/when possible could you please get more pics and/or video of the bike?!

I've decided to study that thing good,long and hard and try to get mine looking close to it - or something. LOL

But yeah, if you can score more info too - like is that swingarm extended? What's that HUGE bottle back there by the shock?

Any info and pics you can get please post or PM them to me, please.

The Goat
10-13-2008, 06:06 PM
come on now people, be nice.

look at the mudflaps and fender guards, the trike has certainly been ridden before. It's just been maintained.

tri-Z ripper
10-13-2008, 06:37 PM
yeah but the lidleess video is pretty bad!! nice looking air cooled for sure! i dont care either way i avoid mud otherwise that means a week worth of detaling to get it clean again! :cry:

fabiodriven
10-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Personally, I would ride it only on occasion.

But anyways-:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

What a beauty!

Ryan.
10-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Personally, I would ride it only on occasion.

But anyways-:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

What a beauty!

same here its too good of condition and too original to ride...:crazy:

Saul
10-13-2008, 08:46 PM
I'd ride the hell outta it!!

Yamatrike400
10-13-2008, 09:15 PM
So- whats Mugen about that bike? Exhaust? Mugen 360 kit?

It is damn nice though!

POS 250sx
10-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Oh come on yous guys mean to say you dont love mud? I do believe that mud is one of the many ALL TERRAINS these things are made to handle. Personally, i look for mud, and that was a puddle ive got stuff like that in my driveway you noobs. My ideal ride is getting as close to stuck in mud as possible without actually getting stuck. when im done, i hose off the trike as best i can with out actually touching it, cuz who cares? its just gonna haul horse manure tomorrow any way and when its really loaded up itll roaster tail and get a whole new kind of dirty.

Daddio
10-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Decals. :wondering It is pretty.

Ryan.
10-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Oh come on yous guys mean to say you dont love mud? I do believe that mud is one of the many ALL TERRAINS these things are made to handle. Personally, i look for mud, and that was a puddle ive got stuff like that in my driveway you noobs. My ideal ride is getting as close to stuck in mud as possible without actually getting stuck. when im done, i hose off the trike as best i can with out actually touching it, cuz who cares? its just gonna haul horse manure tomorrow any way and when its really loaded up itll roaster tail and get a whole new kind of dirty.

so your gonna do that to a museum piece?

:banned:

fabiodriven
10-13-2008, 11:33 PM

I hear ya. I like to haul around big trailers of horse manure with my Tecate, too.:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Autophysn
10-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Ahhhh, come on, what's worth having it if you don't use it?

Nice bike!

I don't believe in just looking at toys

The Goat
10-14-2008, 02:41 AM
I wouldn't destroy it, and I'd certainly clean it...

88 Turbo Coupe
10-14-2008, 03:24 AM
That atc's been rode alot. Look at the wear on the decals and grab bar. What a detail job! Looks like the whole thing has been clear coated.

Autophysn
10-14-2008, 03:30 AM
totally agree my friend, it's why I like the sand so much, Like sandblasting your bike clean! Besides, don't think I could justify another thing sitting in my garage not being used to the old lady:rolleyes:

She already hounds me about the other toys, boat, lowrider, buggy, etc
All need to be finished---She has a point, but you know, Never have the time to get to it between the kids and all these damn Birthday parties. Having a big family could really take a gouge out of your weekend time:cry:

I did finally sell the boat:cry:

Swamp trike
10-14-2008, 03:52 AM
My friend and I had a big discussion when he got the bike, about riding/destroying it, and we came to the conclusion that: Ok it's a really nice bike, but if U don't ride it there is no purpose of having it....

88 Turbo Coupe
10-14-2008, 03:55 AM
Makes sense to me.

mustangmachanic
10-14-2008, 09:55 PM
i have that shock! i also have an aluminum swinger of unknown origin
love the extended axle i wish it were mine id ride the hell outta it while keeping it nice

POS 250sx
10-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Obviously a 250r isnt made for chores like my sx but you gotta do what its made to do, ride the fudging thing or give to somebody else who will. Id keep that trike clean for sure tho, after i get it soaked in mud :naughty:

edog
10-15-2008, 06:35 AM
:rolleyes: :mad: :banned:

Swamp trike
10-26-2008, 08:41 AM
Something went wrong this weekend:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9CDLKontZw

edog
10-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Ahhhh, come on, what's worth having it if you don't use it?

Nice bike!

I don't believe in just looking at toys

Then you wouldn't like OC stuff then.:D

edog
10-26-2008, 08:49 AM

:lock: :banned:

88 Turbo Coupe
10-26-2008, 08:53 AM
Were you planning on going up the stairs into the building?

Swamp trike
10-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Were you planning on going up the stairs into the building?

I'm not the driver, but who knows what he was thinkin!!
But it sure looked funny!!!

edog
10-26-2008, 09:04 AM
But it sure looked funny!!!

Ow ya real funny. Do that to a old school Mugen air fooler.:rolleyes:

I would molest that thing on a daily basis.:D

SYKO
10-26-2008, 09:11 AM
very nice... in fact I love it.... and im one of the cats who whould ride the snot out of it... no sense in having it if your not going to ride it... GIT IT RAGG!

edog
10-26-2008, 09:32 AM
very nice... in fact I love it.... and im one of the cats who whould ride the snot out of it... no sense in having it if your not going to ride it... GIT IT RAGG!

What kind of riding would you do? Nothing that involves something like getting muddy i hope?

It has to be ridden with respect for what it is.

SYKO
10-26-2008, 09:39 AM
What kind of riding would you do? Nothing that involves something like getting muddy i hope?

what?! are you serious?

stuff I do

WOT through thick woods with hidden turns

HILL CLIMBS

JUMPS

and lastly MUDD!!

I know you dont know what any of that is....:TrikesOwn

DeePa
10-26-2008, 09:42 AM
hey it has good front wheel bearings

bigred1
10-26-2008, 09:54 AM
A man buy's toys to enjoy them to some that's total restore and placing on a pedastool to be admired, (I love looking at super clean trikes) to others though there is more fun to be had actually riding there toys ( I told my wife when I first saw the vid that it was crazy to do something like that but she was quick to point out that I would not be content just looking at it, that I would have it on the trails the first day i got it and ....... shes right( though I think I might avoid the mud that's just me)

WIkid500
10-26-2008, 10:57 AM

OH CRY!!!! WTF man why have something if you can't ride it? Honestly they make pressure washers for a reason, ride the hell out of it and wash it. Some of us like to ride their bikes and don't worry if they get a little dirty...

Swamp trike
10-26-2008, 11:01 AM
I just bought a 350x in exellent condition and I thought to myself, maybe I shoulde'nt ride it in the dirt...... But then why have it if I'm not going to use it so by now the fenders are scratchy and the decals on the tank is really faded, but I'm having so much fun so why not!!!

edog
10-26-2008, 11:07 AM
OH CRY!!!! WTF man why have something if you can't ride it? Honestly they make pressure washers for a reason, ride the hell out of it and wash it. Some of us like to ride their bikes and don't worry if they get a little dirty...

It's about preservation for me when it come to trikes like that.
If you think about it collectors need people like you to bring the value up. Cause if you didn't ride it like you stole it, there would be more of that trike around and the value would be low.

WIkid500
10-26-2008, 11:27 AM
It's about preservation for me when it come to trikes like that.
If you think about it collectors need people like you to bring the value up. Cause if you didn't ride it like you stole it, there would be more of that trike around and the value would be low.

True in a sence, but a trike deserves to be ridden. Honestly what does riding a trike do to hurt it? Not much. Now this guy pulling a *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* cart around with it is a bit extreme, and I wouldn't go to those extremes to ruin a nice trike like that, but it would see the trails. Maybe I would save it for winter riding on the lakes. I love riding in winter, a bike can come back caked full of snow and ice an hour in the garage and shes back to new, all nice and melted off.

88 Turbo Coupe
10-26-2008, 11:40 AM

I remember doing that atleast once since i've been riding, :D :D :D

edog
10-26-2008, 11:47 AM
My friend and I had a big discussion when he got the bike, about riding/destroying it, and we came to the conclusion that: Ok it's a really nice bike, but if U don't ride it there is no purpose of having it....

It's the first one I have seen. You mite kick yourself later if you beat it to hard.

88 Turbo Coupe
10-26-2008, 12:16 PM
You mean to tell me you have never ridden your atc with your knee on the seat and foot in the grab bar?

1upfront
10-26-2008, 12:49 PM
It's the first one I have seen. You mite kick yourself later if you beat it to hard.

The first what you've seen? because thats just a stock cyl on that bike it's not MUGEN! but regardless it is a nice bike.

POS 250sx
10-26-2008, 12:53 PM
How is using a utility trike for work extreme? Me and my dad both own 1951 farmall C tractors, his is restored perfect, and you bet your 455 it still gets some field time, it just gets washed real good before it goes to a tractor show. Now, if i had that mugen i wouldn't jump it up a flight of stairs, but it would definitely see some mud.

edog
10-26-2008, 01:28 PM
The first what you've seen? because thats just a stock cyl on that bike it's not MUGEN! but regardless it is a nice bike.

Have you seen a Mugen Air fooler head for the first gen R?

1upfront
10-26-2008, 01:43 PM
No but bigbore on here that has the kit and he posted pic's for me when I purchased a rare 350cc cyl that I thought might be a mugen. the mugen kinda resembles the 300r kit and looks nothing like the stock cylinders.
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60825&d=1203476628
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60826&d=1203476628
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60827&d=1203476628

1upfront
10-26-2008, 01:50 PM

Mugen also made a 250 cylinder that resembled a stock cyl so I suppose it could be one of them but I believe it's just a stock cyl.

fabiodriven
10-26-2008, 01:54 PM
I just watched that video and I know I'monna catch alot of crap for this but I gotta say it.

It's one thing to ride it, or even ride it hard. I already said I would ride it if I owned it. But the flipping on the stairs was just stupid. That was just plain bad riding. After all the work somebody did to that trike either storing it or restoring it and this guys gonna flip it backwards like it's a beat-up old 200S or something.

I'm sorry guys, but that's just wrong IMO. I felt sick watching that vid. That thing's gonna be junk in a few months, then when these guys are done raping it someone will come across it and realize what it is and they'll be scraping around looking for the right parts in pristine condition to undo all the mess these guys are making.

I know, it's not my trike. To each their own I guess-

Daddio
10-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Actually the ones with the head stays were made for the 78-80 cr250s. The ones for the atc looked just like that without the head stay.

edog
10-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Mugen also made a 250 cylinder that resembled a stock cyl so I suppose it could be one of them but I believe it's just a stock cyl.

Then it very well could be then.

1upfront
10-26-2008, 02:07 PM
I just watched that video and I know I'monna catch alot of crap for this but I gotta say it.

It's one thing to ride it, or even ride it hard. I already said I would ride it if I owned it. But the flipping on the stairs was just stupid. That was just plain bad riding. After all the work somebody did to that trike either storing it or restoring it and this guys gonna flip it backwards like it's a beat-up old 200S or something.

I'm sorry guys, but that's just wrong IMO. I felt sick watching that vid. That thing's gonna be junk in a few months, then when these guys are done raping it someone will come across it and realize what it is and they'll be scraping around looking for the right parts in pristine condition to undo all the mess these guys are making.

I know, it's not my trike. To each their own I guess-

I AGREE!!!

Daddio
10-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Then it very well could be then.

I think that would be a long shot IMO. I just looked at the pics again and it is clear to me that it has been recently painted. The engines are never that glossy and the same goes for the plastics. It is / was pretty but I would have been more impressed if it were just in clean original condition. It looks like a clone of something that could have been once upon a time. If it was a true Mugen you would think that there would be some type of documentation or history on it.

fabiodriven
10-26-2008, 02:24 PM
I think that would be a long shot IMO. I just looked at the pics again and it is clear to me that it has been recently painted. The engines are never that glossy and the same goes for the plastics. It is / was pretty but I would have been more impressed if it were just in clean original condition. It looks like a clone of something that could have been once upon a time. If it was a true Mugen you would think that there would be some type of documentation or history on it.

Either way it ain't what it was just two weeks ago now-

Bigbore
10-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Actually the ones with the head stays were made for the 78-80 cr250s. The ones for the atc looked just like that without the head stay.

The Mugen 360 was originally made for the CR's and the later used on the '81-'82 ATC 250R, but all of the 360's had a head stay on the head.

Look at any of the kit ad's and you can see it or look at the October 1981 issue of 3 Wheeling Magazine. The magazine article is a good one. Also my instructions from Mugen show the head stay for the ATC. Without the head stay the frame will crack just above the swinger bolt.

I know it's not a 360! I may be, maybe, a Mugen 250, but it looks like a Honda 250 cylinder to me.

Dirtcrasher
10-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Call me IDIOT :lol: but I plan on beating the snot out of every dam ATC I restore, build or modify.... No matter how sweet it looks or how mint the OEM seat is etc etc.

As time goes on, there will be conversions up the ying yang for all of us to continue being tricycle fans....

Of course it's great that some guys wash there trikes religiously with Wisk and polish the aluminum etc etc but we really need to focus on replacing and adapting this outdated technology. Yes, I love my 350X and 200X but I always dream about better suspension, easier availability of parts and performance mods that don't take me 2 years of searching to find!!

88 Turbo Coupe
10-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Thats probably just his beater Mugen.

Daddio
10-26-2008, 04:43 PM
The Mugen 360 was originally made for the CR's and the later used on the '81-'82 ATC 250R, but all of the 360's had a head stay on the head.

Look at any of the kit ad's and you can see it or look at the October 1981 issue of 3 Wheeling Magazine. The magazine article is a good one. Also my instructions from Mugen show the head stay for the ATC. Without the head stay the frame will crack just above the swinger bolt.

I know it's not a 360! I may be, maybe, a Mugen 250, but it looks like a Honda 250 cylinder to me.

I stand corrected. For some reason I thought that I read somewhere that only the cr kit had the headstay. Probably bad information. So that would mean that in order to use it properly you need to mod the frame so you can bolt up the head stay.

fabiodriven
10-26-2008, 05:24 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats probably just his beater Mugen.

3Razors
10-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Either way it ain't what it was just two weeks ago now-

I 2nd that! And in 2 weeks there will probably be little left of what it currently was. There is a big difference from riding your trikes and driving it into the ground. Certain bikes like that are survivors and need to be shown some respect. There is no shortage of cheap "beater" trikes around if your wish is to destroy the thing.

88 Turbo Coupe
10-26-2008, 06:03 PM
I 2nd that! And in 2 weeks there will probably be little left of what it currently was. There is a big difference from riding your trikes and driving it into the ground. Certain bikes like that are survivors and need to be shown some respect. There is no shortage of cheap "beater" trikes around if your wish is to destroy the thing.

Reminds me when I used to buy my ATC"S new from House of Power, beat the hell out of it, sell it, and buy a new one. Now that was alot of fun!!!!

Saul
10-26-2008, 06:26 PM
I beat on my 82R like a rented mule - it ain't full of 'Mugen' stickers though.

300rman
10-26-2008, 07:42 PM
i dont rerally see what is gona get hurt on that bike by riding it. it seems the rare parts are on the motor, so the rest of the bike is pretty much just a 250r right?
so unless the motor grenades, the rare parts will still be intact, correct?

RIDE IT.

i58829
10-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Haha this is a great thread, IMHO the bike was a little over done to start with. But just because he went through a couple puddles in the video doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I dont care if it's beautiful, raining, snowing, muddy, or anything else outside if i feel like taking something out for a ride thats what i do. So anyway nice machine, a little over restored in my mind with all of the fresh gloss paint but just be glad there we only a couple puddles where he rides. We cross water several times on the trails around my place...

Daddio
10-26-2008, 08:15 PM
You must have missed the latest vid! :rolleyes:

i58829
10-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Yes i did skip a couple posts and i saw the steps 'climb' video, maybe they need some hills out there. I dont have much of a thought but it could have been a lot worse, i don't think it caused a whole lot of damage. I value and spend a ton of money on my tricycles and more than once one has been belly up during the day, mostly due to my lack of judgment and having nothing to do with the lack of a 4th wheel (i've had the worst luck climbing a few little hills), TC...

Bigbore
10-26-2008, 09:01 PM
I stand corrected. For some reason I thought that I read somewhere that only the cr kit had the headstay. Probably bad information. So that would mean that in order to use it properly you need to mod the frame so you can bolt up the head stay.

No frame mods needed. The bracket bolts up with the rear tank bolt/rear fender rubbers.

POS 250sx
10-26-2008, 10:05 PM
I think we can all agree everything has its purpose, and itd be silly to not ride that 250r. You gotta be curious what the engineers were thinking when they designed them and what for, mud, rocks, water, bumps, BRs and SX, will work. However i kinda doubt they designed 250r's for jumping up staircases, let alone with little landing room. What a jerk. Rule number 1. rubber side down.

Julle74
02-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Looks like this now. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90502

Julle74
02-27-2010, 07:19 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90501

Yamaha_Rules69
02-27-2010, 08:45 PM
That looks great! Superb job man!

MonroeMike
02-28-2010, 01:30 AM
Real nice looking R.

Julle74
02-28-2010, 04:07 AM
Thanx! Bought it 2 month ago. Pretty beated up but now she starts to look good again.