PDA

View Full Version : 250SX Rear Shock Options

bbechtel16
06-24-2003, 05:13 PM
I Want to upgrade the rear shock on my SX, it is too bumpy, not enough travel, and other such things. I am considering a stock 200X or 350X shock if they will fit fit with virtually no modification. I think the 350X shock will handle the SXs rear weight better since it is made for the larger machine and the SX being shaft drive and such having a heavy rear. But my concern is that it will throw off the SXs center of gravity and degrade my cornering ability if the shock makes the rear sit too high. Hence I am also considering the 200X shock. Now that I think about it I guess the 250R shock is also an option if I can find one for a decent price. Any input greatly appreciated.

hondaracer250R
06-24-2003, 10:41 PM
yeah i dont know

als250
06-25-2003, 12:24 AM
None of the above will work w/o mods. I put 350x shock on my sx(had to modify lower bracket on shock to make it work) and it rode rougher than ever! "x" shocks are made to be mounted at an angle(guessing around 45 degrees,where sx are more straight up and down, maybe 10 degrees,again guessing. I'm going to try welding a bracket on top of rear axle housing sometime to see if it will work. That will put shock at closer to same angle as on 350x. You must also watch raising rear of machine as might cause excessive wear on universal. So far as I know a custom shock is only option for us sx'ers now(w/o alot of mods).

My .02

Al

heehawlittle
06-25-2003, 03:01 AM
has any one tried to put the shock off a 82 250r it is more stright up and down might try this week my self
proud owner
5 250sx
1 250es
1 82 250r
1 185
1 200s trainlng bike

Dirtcrasher
06-25-2003, 07:25 AM
I think were screwed! I too had the 200X setup ant took it off, threw it away. Made a nice bracket to fit in the bottom and had to grind out some material on top for the reevoir hose. They just aren't even close to the proper valving for a mostly vertical mounting. On top of that it's difficult to find a good old X or R shock.
In still believe Blaster shocks may do it and are certainly available and cheap! But since I lost my job I no longer can machine anything - it's back to cut, heat, braise, weld, bend in the backyard. I am still going to try it but again it must get mounted more like the angled mounting. To angle it back the battery box is in the way - but there is room for it to move up and back. Then the lower mount can move behind or on top of the axle tube like ALS said. And HeeHaw has a good point, find a shock already mounted in that position. But again how well will an 1981 shock work??
Or move the upper mount forward but to do this the airbox can't be used and you'll have to use a K+N filter or something. I too have a few SX's around here and may just do it that way and call it my racing SX.

I think we all love the 250 power and automatic and especially the reverse. The bulletproof motor and cam chain are a plus too. Wonder why Honda never made a 250X?? Not that we should go here but if you've ever split an SX case you'd see that if you were or knew a good machinist you could mount a sprocket on there and maybe ravamp the whole thing. Don't shake your head BBR got started somehow didn't they?????

Back to the shock, for now get a good used SX shock, they work best and are easiest. I am very happt yo hear someone other than me has the desire to have a better SX!!

bbechtel16
06-25-2003, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all the replys. Please follow up with your success/failure with different shock setups. If you people are interested in a better SX as Dirtcrasher put it, check out the ATC300ES Bigger Red? thread. Its about putting fourtrax 300 jug (longer stroke, same bore) on a SX/ES.

samster143
06-25-2003, 11:48 AM
does the SX have a better shock than a big red? I have a big red that could use a little better ride. Maybe I could swap it.

Dirtcrasher
06-25-2003, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure if they swap but anyway - the SX shock is marginal at best, but may be better than the Big Red.

About the 300SX, thats a great idea. But my SX is pretty fresh and I already have to back off before I hit a jump or I'll get moshed. Anyone likes more motor but if the suspension can't keep you straight it sort of defeats the purpose. Still pretty bad though!!! :twisted: