PDA

View Full Version : Big Red reverse

01ps
10-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Is there any way to make reverse easier to engage, without using the button on the left brake handle? Can it be hooked to the rear brake so al you have to do is engage the brake to get to reverse?

ScottZJ
10-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Well I had the cable run incorrectly on one of my 250SX's and it would go into reverse by just kicking the shifter in reverse.....and nothing else. So you could make it like that where the reverse cable is always engaged but I didnt care for it that way , as many times I hit reverse on accident.

Dirtcrasher
10-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Is there any way to make reverse easier to engage, without using the button on the left brake handle? Can it be hooked to the rear brake so al you have to do is engage the brake to get to reverse?

So, everytime you grab the rear brake you want it to go in reverse??

Unless you mean that you run the brake with the foot pedal and want to use the bar lever (because you don't use it) to engage reverse..... I'm sure there's a way to pin, weld or bolt the lever assembley together, hopefully your the only one that rides it!

You could just scrap the whole lever if you don't use the rear brake that way and get a shorty lever that only engages reverse.

If it's a pain in the arse to engage and disengage reverse with the lever and button it's usually a cable adjustment and lube. My SX use to be tough to get out of reverse until I did that.

Saul
10-12-2008, 02:43 PM
My big red is rigged to just go into reverse by shifting down with the foot lever. No buttons to push or whatever at all.

keister
10-12-2008, 10:21 PM
My reverse cable froze up, and now mine will go into R by shifting down while in N. It is convenient, but I don't like it.
I am putting a new cable on next weekend, because I don't want to accidentally downshift into R while descending a steep hill while rolling forward.
Is pushing a button and squeezing a lever really that inconvenient?

Put an old 300EX into reverse... now that is a pain. Reason #117 that I don't own quads.

01ps
10-13-2008, 12:38 PM
My big red is rigged to just go into reverse by shifting down with the foot lever. No buttons to push or whatever at all.

How did you do that?

01ps
10-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Is pushing a button and squeezing a lever really that inconvenient?

It is mostly for plowing, to make it quicker to get to reverse while I raise the plow with my left hand.

McDerry
10-13-2008, 10:49 PM
When I had my BR i switched the brake lever out for a 450r with hot start. Used the hot start to engage reverse.