PDA

View Full Version : When to switch to synthetic 2 stroke oil

roger86200x
10-09-2008, 11:14 PM
So, I hear that I should run regular 2stroke oil until the motor is fully broken in...

how long should I wait? a tank of gas? two? Ive been tryin the bang on it method to get the rings to seal and it has TONS of power.

I bought some Ipone oil and I wanna see if it really smells like strawberries, lol. The Stihl oil at 20:1 smokes and smells bad, lol no wonder Stihl uses 50:1.

fabiodriven
10-09-2008, 11:42 PM
If I see another 2-stroke oil thread on here in the next day I'm gonna quit triking. This is getting re-diculous.

Buy the oil, mix it with gas, fill your tank, ride- it's that simple folks-

Autophysn
10-09-2008, 11:52 PM
So the cheap stuff is as good as the expensive stuff?

ceaserthethird
10-10-2008, 02:17 AM
Break it in with the basic oil, than next tank go with the synthetic.

SYKO
10-10-2008, 07:49 AM
CASTOR 927!! hooottieee hooooo!! smells like popcorn!! yum!

roger86200x
10-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Hey FABIO, calm down.

Unlike some, I would like to break this motor in right and have it last.

I know that synthetic oil is BAD for breaking in ANY motor, but I did not know how LONG to run the regular stuff before switching to full synthetic.

Some people dont even know this... so its informational...but since you know all FABIO maybe you should use your super powers to predict my next post and post the answer first.

You didnt have to read the post either... FYI.... moron.

Something about how the synthetic is too good and the rings wont seat properly and something to do with the cross hatch on the fresh honing .....
someone will explain it.

Dammit!
10-10-2008, 08:53 AM
I know that synthetic oil is BAD for breaking in ANY motor,

I broke mine in with synthetic 4 years ago. No problems to report.

roger86200x
10-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Straight from AMSOIL:

Converting a vehicle to synthetic oil is fairly simple, but there are a few things you need to be aware of. First, if you have a brand new vehicle we recommend that you run a short cycle of petroleum oil on a gas engine passenger car or light truck (typically 500 miles) and approximately 5000 miles on a diesel engine in such as a Ford Power stroke or Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel before installing AMSOIL. This doesn't mean that you can't install AMSOIL sooner, as many OEM's install synthetics as a factory fill, it simply means these are our recommendations based on our extensive engineering studies and knowledge of this topic.

Breaking in a new engine is the one area that petroleum oil is better for than synthetics. You see, petroleum oil has a very low film strength which is ideal for breaking in a new engine. That is why we recommend you run the factory installed petroleum oil for about the about the first 500 miles. Then drain the oil, remove the factory installed oil filter and then install AMSOIL Synthetic motor oil and an AMSOIL Super Duty oil filter and your ready to go.

Also, there are synthetic oil engine break-in additives than can be purchased to use synthetic from the start....

fabiodriven
10-10-2008, 10:02 AM
If you "know" that synthetics are bad for break-in ROGER, then why did you ask? Use the search button and watch the name calling, there have been about 4 different threads on here this week about 2-stroke oil. Most things you hear about where you shouldn't use synthetics are old wives tales. If you have all this information, why did you even start this post?

SYKO
10-10-2008, 10:03 AM
geez just get some walmart chainsaw 2 stroke oil and fill your trans with it and mix sae 30wt with alcohol and you will be set.

rdlsz24
10-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Where can I get the 2-smoke oil that smells like pepperoni pizza? Snowmobile season is fast approaching and I only want the best for my sled.

Rob

fabiodriven
10-10-2008, 10:52 AM
So the cheap stuff is as good as the expensive stuff?

No, use some common sense-

SCRAMCHARGER318
10-10-2008, 11:51 AM
when i break in a motor on a trike, i usually run it for 15 minutes at idle with petroleum oil, after 15 shut it off and let it cool all the way own. once you have done that take it out and run it for about a half hour, give it a few full throttle
run downs to seat in the rings, then go ahead and switch it over to synthetic.
for breaking a motor in i use kendall 20w-50 gt racing petroleum oil, kendall is real good for breaking in becuase it contains sulfur which is easier on the valvetrain. alot of other premium oil's contain zinc which serves the same purpose as the sulfur. once i go to synthetic i run amsoil probably the best or at least one of the best. i run it in everything, motor's, transmissions, transfer cases, diffrentials, and my power steering pumps, i get longevity out of it. but keep in mind all my stuff is either a four stroke atv engine or a v8 setup.

roger86200x
10-10-2008, 12:07 PM
lol fabio, you obviously cant read..... wow

I asked how long after first starting it with petrol oil to switch to the synthetic.

its not me that KNOWS, but AMSOIL the leading race oil on here..... hmmm

I didnt have the info until I researched it further. I wanted a general idea from real life experiences and the people on here seem to know an awful lot..... I read all about this from other posts but I never saw it explained on how long to wait.... after break in is done....2 tanks of gas, 1 tank of gas etc... it was a simple question.

Most of the 2 stroke oil posts have been mine, including what octane to run my R on and what ratio to mix the gas. In all of that I found I should switch to full syn 32:1 and run 93 octane gas, so I go the info I needed. Some of the previous posts were left open and un answered or highly debated. The other people were extremely friendly and helpful....except you. You offer nothign but constant bitching. Shut up and stop replying to MY thread that YOU didnt have to read.

Thank you to all the others who have input helful info... :beer

fabiodriven
10-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Yeah, nice article on 4-stroke engines. That oughtta really help you out. Don't forget to change your oil filter-

And I was vey helpful on your other threads about this. You asked for opinions, and I gave mine. Remember? Mobil 1? 93 octane? The moderators have better things to do than sift through threads that sombody wants to keep posting. Why not just update your old thread instead of starting a new one every three days on the same subject?

SCRAMCHARGER318
10-10-2008, 01:39 PM
"It's too strong, something's wrong and I guess I lost the feelin'
I don't mind the games you play, but I don't like your dealin'
God looked bad, the luck's been had and there's nothin' left to smoke
Will I be back tomorrow for the punchline of the joke?"

Joe walsh - the bomber

roger86200x
10-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Yeah, nice article on 4-stroke engines. That oughtta really help you out. Don't forget to change your oil filter-

And I was vey helpful on your other threads about this. You asked for opinions, and I gave mine. Remember? Mobil 1? 93 octane? The moderators have better things to do than sift through threads that sombody wants to keep posting. Why not just update your old thread instead of starting a new one every three days on the same subject?

Because those questions were closed and answered. No one would know I posted about break in and when to switch at the end of those. It was a new topic/thread. I wanted the other threads to sink to the bottom but people kept posting, lol.

Your Mobil 1 2 stroke is not produced anymore, its on mobils website and I emailed them just in case. Mobil 1 does not make a 2 stroke oil anymore. This sux cuz I like Mobil 1 oils. I run Full Syn in my 08 f250

It wasnt the same subject, it was a different question about a similar subject.

2 stroke or 4 stroke everyone still says not to use synthetic for break in. Synthetic is synthetic and petrol based is petrol based..... either way from everythign I read it says not to use synthetic for break in.

DeePa
10-10-2008, 02:38 PM
ive used synthetic for break ins without issues...

oh and if you just searched instead of asking 100000 questions, you wouldnt have had to post at all.....

before you ask, use common sense.

edit...oh and heres the "2 stroke synthetic break in" search came up with....

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=82327&highlight=2+stroke+synthetic+break

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=52603&highlight=2+stroke+synthetic+break

tecat-z
10-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Wow....... Look people, proper clearance on a 2 stroke engine, which is done at the time of boring/honing, proper jetting, and keeping the incoming air CLEAN are THE most important things period! If clearances are set correctly, to either a cast or forged piston, a 250 will last a long time no matter what kind of 2 cycle oil is used. Oil is not the end all, or savior of poor initial set up. I choose to use quality oil and fuel, along with careful set up and tune. Again, think about how many engines that were made in the 80's, abused, different oil brands, and ratios, and had original pistons in many cases 15-20 years later. It's clearance and safe jetting. Otherwise no matter what kind of oil is used, it's not gonna last. And in the trannys, conventional 10w-40. 20+ years and i've never had a oil related failure. And i do ride hard and often. Hell, modern chainsaw oil is far surerior to the so called hi-performance oil we had 20+ years ago when these trikes were new. It's useless at argue oil brand.

roger86200x
10-10-2008, 04:55 PM

oh and if you just searched instead of asking 100000 questions, you wouldnt have had to post at all.....

before you ask, use common sense.

edit...oh and heres the "2 stroke synthetic break in" search came up with....

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=82327&highlight=2+stroke+synthetic+break

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=52603&highlight=2+stroke+synthetic+break

I did search and never got a definitive answer to anything. Only arguing and a thread that just trailed off. No one addressed when to switch 2 stroke oil to synthetic, said 250r should be run 92-100 octane, or explained the oil mixture. I saw that 32;1 was good and that it was synthetic all the time....never saw anything about conventional oil.

Blown 331
10-10-2008, 05:12 PM
My opinion. I don't think there is one difinitive answer that says "this is the way you have to do it? Just theories.
Just mix up a 5 gallon can of conventional, run that. They when its gone then go to sythetic. Simple as that I doubt anyone will think that is a bad idea.

fabiodriven
10-10-2008, 06:36 PM
I'm gonna find out about the Mobil 1 thing for sure. I've been running it for some time now and I'd swear it's still on the shelves- I'll look the next time I go to the store for a positive answer- I've got a full quart in my shed right now.

Mosh
10-11-2008, 12:05 AM

I agree 100%..
I am not the be all, end all in answers.....
But I HAVE broken in engines both ways.......

Honestly,It makes no difference.
Chevy builds the Corvette straight from the factory with synthteic oil.Never any problems with those.

I rebuilt a few 2 stroke engines,and used Blendzall as a break in oil.Then switched to synthetic after break in. No problems.

My 250 R was broken in on Straight synthetic Maxima 927.All season,no problems.
My wife's Banshee was broken in the same way as My R..
4 years and over 300 hours,no problems.
My bigbore Z was broke in on synthetic.No problems.

I agree.Proper engine set-up is key.

I do however believe that your engine should be at least 32 : 1 or richer during the first 4-8 hours of break in.

Tecate250
10-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Hahaha. You guys crack me up with synthetic oils. I like the smell of it and will spend lots of money to stink better.lol I buy Ultramar oil cost about 5$ a liter. I run mine at 20-1 everytime and have fouled only 1 plug in 7 years. I have a friend who runs that crap ams oil and goes through plugs quicker then gas on a 2001 rm 250. and runs it at 40-1

Dirtcrasher
10-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Although I haven't had a 2 stroke in 5 or so years, I had at least a dozen when I was a young kid. I rebuilt my RM100-125-250, YZ80, 94 CR 250, KX 80, CR60 and beat the snot out of every one of them on cheap 2 stroke oil....

Of every bike I have ever owned, I've never even seized a topend. I simply tore it down when I could hear it getting tired.

Regardless, I never worried about what oil I used or how much I paid for it. Back then, everything was closed on Sundays so I would always end up with whatever 2 stroke oil the gas station had on the shelf.

In my eyes, the oil never had a huge influence on a motors ability to "last". It was much more important that it was bored properly - as Tecat-Z stated - and that you jetted and maintained the bike often and properly.

The biggest problem is many people do not know the fundamentals of rebuilding an engine, be it 2 stroke or 4 and the slightest improper technique or small items overlooked are why motors that ran 20 years without be opened up get rebuilt and blow up in 6 months.

I'm not saying it to insult anyone, but there is allot more to rebuilding a motor than just taking bolts out and banging bearings in with a socket.......