PDA

View Full Version : Sag on Suspended 3 wheeler rear end????? Tri Z ?????

Darius1502
06-24-2003, 02:32 AM
I was wondering what the sag should be on a suspended high perf. ATV (Tri Z more specifically), when there is NO rider aboard????

How can I adjust preload without removing the rear shock?

How do I know if I need to recharge the Tri Z shock? How much does that cost?

Where do they re-charge it? My zilla has an valve for the nitrogen or whatever goes in there on its resevior...the Tri Z does not not....

Jeb
06-24-2003, 09:32 AM
I think the sag should be set at 1-2 inches without rider aboard. I'll have to check my manual on nitrogen charging and recommended sag. Tecates are like your quadracer, there's a valve on the reservoir. Seems like yamaha used a bladder inside the reservoir to hold nitrogen.

There's probably no way on a stock Z to adjust sag with the shock on the machine. On my 85 without the stock fuel tank, you can get to it fairly easily.

Joel85350X
06-24-2003, 09:47 AM
I recharged my 350X nitrogen shock at my local dealer for $30.

Darius1502
06-24-2003, 02:11 PM
Thanks guys!

MR ATC
06-24-2003, 02:56 PM
the correct way to determine sag is as follows;

1. the sag amount should be 1/3 of the total travel ex. 9" travel = 3" sag
2. place the trike on a stand with all wheels off the ground so the suspension is fully extended. take a measurement from the center of the axel to a fixed point on the fender or frame keeping the tape measure as straight as possible (no funky angels). write the measurement down.
3. take the trike off the stand and get on it with all your normal riding gear on move the suspension through the stroke severall times and take a second measurement.
4. the differance between the two should be 1/3 of total travel.
5. now with the trike on the ground and no rider on take a third measurement. subtract this number from your first measurement. the differance should be 1-1 1/4" . this is called "free sag" and helps determine the correct spring rate. if it is less then 1-1 1/4 your spring is too stiff more to soft.

i'm not familar with a tri-z shock but almost all shocks have a pre-load adjustment coller turning this coller down or in stiffins the spring rate up or out softens the spring rate.