PDA

View Full Version : New trick for getting new tires to bead up!

NINJA
10-05-2008, 04:28 PM
So the other day a guy brings these 8in. wheels in and a brand new pair of ITP tires that have been smashed nearly flat from shipping and wants them mounted. I put the tires out in the sun for about a half hour on the hot pavement to soften them up and get their shape back. I mounted them on the rims no problem but was left with a 2in. gap between the tire and the bead. There was no way they were going to bead up with air, I tried everything, ratchet straps around them, three guys pushing on them from three different directions, finally ether and I severely flash burned my left hand:lol: So while I was running my poor hand under water I suddenly got an idea. I took an 8in. ATV tube and put it around the rim so that it rested over the tire and was under the rim lip. I then inflated the tube until it fit tightly against the tire and the rim. I then aired up the tire and the tube slid off like butter and the tire seated on the bead. Friggin sweet, I can't believe I didn't think of this years ago:w00t:

250rAL
10-05-2008, 05:31 PM
That's a trick I saw in a magazine years ago. I used it at least once successfully.

Erics350x
10-05-2008, 06:00 PM
So the other day a guy brings these 8in. wheels in and a brand new pair of ITP tires that have been smashed nearly flat from shipping and wants them mounted. I put the tires out in the sun for about a half hour on the hot pavement to soften them up and get their shape back. I mounted them on the rims no problem but was left with a 2in. gap between the tire and the bead. There was no way they were going to bead up with air, I tried everything, ratchet straps around them, three guys pushing on them from three different directions, finally ether and I severely flash burned my left hand:lol: So while I was running my poor hand under water I suddenly got an idea. I took an 8in. ATV tube and put it around the rim so that it rested over the tire and was under the rim lip. I then inflated the tube until it fit tightly against the tire and the rim. I then aired up the tire and the tube slid off like butter and the tire seated on the bead. Friggin sweet, I can't believe I didn't think of this years ago:w00t:

They make a hard rubber ring that does the same thing. I've been using one for years. It also works great for those low pro wide wheels

NINJA
10-05-2008, 06:05 PM
They make a hard rubber ring that does the same thing. I've been using one for years. It also works great for those low pro wide wheels

Well I'll be, I've never even seen one of those things in all the shops I've worked in.

ATC Rider
10-05-2008, 07:33 PM
I use ether, its always worked for me.

blue27
10-05-2008, 09:39 PM

it was called a "Bead Popper" I have one and it does work. I don't like ether. I have used a inner tube from a z-50 already

Autophysn
10-06-2008, 12:47 AM
Ether? You mean ignite it?
I have done that with larger tires in the field, fill them with acetylene and light them off. they would hop about 6ft in the air, but so long as you attached the air to it quickly, it worked!
But ether seems too liquidy

250rAL
10-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Can you still get Bead Poppers? I remember them from the 80's but I haven't seen one anywhere recently.

brapp
10-10-2008, 09:19 PM
i heve yet to find a beat i couldnt set with either and air.

NINJA
10-11-2008, 10:55 AM
The skin peeled off my fingers today from the ether burn I got! YESSSSSS!