PDA

View Full Version : Fork seals in TRI-Z

njeffery
10-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Well how do you get them out? do you have to use a press or is there a way around that?

DeePa
10-03-2008, 02:53 PM
just remove the bottom allen bolt, drain fluid, remove fork caps, springs, any extra fluid, then take out the dust seals with a screwdriver, pull out the little pos snap ring, take the washer out, and keep pulling up on the fork tube, banging it against the seal each time you come to the top of the stroke.

Itll slowly work its way out.

To reinstall, either get a fork seal driver or i used a piece of pvc pipe with the old seal on top of the new seal to drive it in after you put the fork tube in the lower part of the forks.

njeffery
10-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Well I've been banging on it for an half hour and it hasnt moved at all. I'm pulling very hard and may be bending it cause it wont move up and down smoothly any more. The allen bolt at the very bottom wont come out it just turns. The 10mm bolt on the side at the bottom came out.:mad: :confused: :cry:

DeePa
10-04-2008, 09:44 AM
you have to get that allen bolt out. take it out with the springs still in the forks to keep it from just spinning

sblt500r
10-04-2008, 04:59 PM
or clamp the lower fork in a vise, have someone pull out on the upper tube, then use an impact gun to unscew that allen bolt.

njeffery
10-05-2008, 12:23 PM
The lower half was in a vise and I put the springs back in and that bolt still just turns:mad: . I talked to a buddy and he has a press so I think I'm going to take the springs out and fill them with oil and use a press to press them down till the seals pop out.:wondering

Red Rider
10-05-2008, 02:27 PM
I think I'm going to take the springs out and fill them with oil and use a press to press them down till the seals pop out.:wonderingThat's gonna make a mess. :confused: