PDA

View Full Version : Lifan - where to buy online?

oneclick
09-29-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm looking to buy a lifan 70, 90 or 110 for my atc 70.

i'm wanting electric start and manual clutch (4 down), i'm looking for websites that sell them reasonably priced with carb, wiring, etc... i've checked ebay and found none like this at the moment, i also know of the dratv.com and hooperimports.com

I've found a couple other sites but all are "out of stock", where is everyone buying theirs at?

Jason

Autophysn
09-30-2008, 03:49 AM
Dude! Stay away from those
you will have no low end power
They need to rev way up before you can get any real ponies
Find another bike with a good motor and go from there
Please, stay away
Been there
done that
dealing with it now
But if you are still interested
I have a brand new quad I will sell you
$500

Autophysn
09-30-2008, 03:51 AM
you could also find them here, so you know I am not a total jerk, But don't say I did not warn you
http://www.hooperimports.com/dept.aspx?dept_id=02

oneclick
09-30-2008, 05:28 PM
i'm not looking for any kind of power... this 70 is for my 9yr old son, i just need it to be dependable (start-up wise) and something i won't have to constantly mess with. i was going to rebuild the original 70 engine, or rebuild the z5o that's on it... but i feel i'd be constantly messing around with it in one way or another... brand new is the easiest route to go for this particular situation...

however - i did just order a carb kit, intake gasket, new plugs, and jet/needle/slide set... i'm at least giving the 50 engine that's currently on it, one very last chance before going lifan! LOL...

and i already knew of hooperimports... that's about the only site i know of that has them in stock, every other place i found are out of stock.

anyone else know of any other places that would have them in stock?

Jason

The Goat
09-30-2008, 08:14 PM
just waiting for vealmonkey to chime on in. he's got alot of experience with the 70s. There is no reason it would have to rev up to get power...

there is the option of ordering the 88cc honda kit from dr. atv and slapping it on top of a 70 bottom end.

usually I'd be saying buy the lifan... but the 70s are bulletproof little engines.

Autophysn
09-30-2008, 08:36 PM
My son is 8 and has a real hard time when he is in soft land, ie sand, grass, gravel, soft dirt. I have to push him, just to get him going.
Believe me, there is no substitute for an original Honda motor.
I have 2 of these engines, 90cc and 110cc
both have to be moving before they can achieve any kind of torque.
I have fought with trying to up grade the clutches and gearing, nothing works.
I understand your issue, he is just a kid, but if you enjoy chasing him around to push him just to get moving, be my guest

Ebay
store call t motorsport, they have plenty

search Lifan or Loncin on Ebay
You will find plenty of people there

http://www.rnrfabrication.com/lifanengine.htm

http://www.t-motorsports.com/

http://www.rabbitscooters.com/products/gocarts.htm

http://nstmotor.com/

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/ProductList.asp
these guys may interest you as well

All of these places have them, But Hooper is the best
I wish you good luck, and please remember to change the oil immeadiately
The Chinese use a fish based motor oil
will burn the motor and clutch very quickly.

As for being dependant, no help there either. Always having starting issues.
Everything from bad CDI's to poor starters failing with in a month.

don't believe me
check this forum out

http://forums.atvrideronline.com/69/61022/atv-repair-maintenance/index.html

read thru and even if you can, talk to a guy by the name of Wolf1

3 months after you bought it, he will be your new best friend.
Cheers!

Autophysn
09-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Got to agree with the Goat as well

I have delt with Dr. ATV
Great guy and products

He too has these Chinese clone motors

bad350
09-30-2008, 09:50 PM
as far as take off power goes, why don't you change the gearing via sprockets so it takes off better?

Autophysn
09-30-2008, 09:58 PM
That's what I thought, but first off, try to find the parts for these damn things, second, I dropped the count on the forward sprocket, and it did help for hills, but not the start stop fatigue:(

I only wish to warn people of the problems I have encountered. These Chinese things are not worth it! They are more problems than they are worth, and would hate to see anyone go thru the problems I have encountered. The smile on my kids face is too precious to me for the down time I have had to deal with. I know a Honda would have just been go go go:lol:

The Goat
09-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Having a lifan, I can say that they are quite the substitute for the original honda motor.

I have an idea about your weak take off though...what's your carb size? my 200cc came with a 30mm...way too big.

oldtime3wheeler
09-30-2008, 10:37 PM
My '83 70 motor pulls my 200+lb body pretty well. My son(who is 5) flies on his '84 70. I agree the Honda motors are bullet proof. Once either of them starts to die Im going with the 88cc kit.

Autophysn
09-30-2008, 10:40 PM
couldn't tell you Goat, I am just so burnt on the whole thing. I will never buy another Chinese anything again.
Bet the 200 is a whole other deal though.
However I feel like I have driven this thread in the wrong direction, and would like to appologize for that. Just hate to see other's travel down a bumpy road I have been on, compared to the nice and easy;)

Autophysn
09-30-2008, 10:47 PM
oooohh
let me clarify something, In no way am I disrepecting the Honda Motors.
I too have a 82 70cc ATC that carries my 325lbs. around quiet easily. My 110cc has no problem either. My only point is, the replacement Chinese motors will never compare. To do a $300 engine swapp and expect the same performance is just not gonna happen.
Please forgive me if I have offended anyone

brapp
09-30-2008, 11:17 PM
i cant complain i ahve used the chinease cdi set up on my stock 70 motor for huge power increases and gained timign advance and as far as the chineas emotor have had no problem when geared corectlr for the riders weight and ridign conditions for a child its may be a cheap alternative and mos tof the chinease motors are exact copies of the 70 and 110 and 90 motors just usign chinease metals and berings not the japanese like honda did so long ago. either way things arent made how they once were.

Vealmonkey
09-30-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm not quite sure what you are doing. I've had good resutlts with the lifan engines. I can direct you to a website that over half the 70s over there have "chinese" engines in them and they are doing all kinds of things with them, including lots or large grown men racing them in the sand. I'm not sure of the maker for your engine, what kind of carb your running, what kind of sprockets and such. I can tell you this, if your son isn't downshifting to a lower gear, then it doesn't matter, cause the "chinese" engine or the honda engine won't pull you out. Maybe you should try and find your son a nice trizinger, no shifting and one speed. Maybe you should try different tires. I don't think it can get much softer than sand, maybe mud, but I'm not sure what you are talking about as far as soft ground. You can get different sprockets for the rear sprocket for an atc70, but you will have to do some looking. For the majority of people, the "chinese" engines are the way to go since they are new and don't have to be rebuilt like some tired and worn 70 engines. Big bore kits and new heads are definitely nice but sometimes that is pretty much near or over the $300 mark and then you have to do all the work to the engine for installation and some people just don't have those skills. Sometimes the new "chinese" engines need some help out of the box and there are better and worse deals. I've seen the engines not come with all the parts, or the wrong parts or parts that won't plug into each other and work. Putting a chinese engine into a 70 is not just a bolt up and go type of deal either. If you want electric start, you have to fab a battery tray, and do wiring and usually you have to get a differnt manifold for the carb as well. Either way, there is some amount of work involved. But for the most part, the lifan engines, and I can't really speak for other brands, have worked out quite well and ressurected trikes and bikes that would otherwise not be running still. I'm sorry that you've had a bad experience with yours and I hope you next experience will be better.

KASEY
09-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Dude! Stay away from those
you will have no low end power
They need to rev way up before you can get any real ponies
Find another bike with a good motor and go from there
Please, stay away
Been there
done that
dealing with it now
But if you are still interested
I have a brand new quad I will sell you
$500

wow .. i have 4 lifans ... they pull me around like a freight train!!! and no problems at all ,,, your problem might be your motor is not a true lifan,,,,, or it might be setup wrong for an adult sized person,,,, i have been up olds hill at glamis on my 70 with a lifan in it,,,, steep hill fat butt and all,, no problem,,,,

Autophysn
10-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Tu shay :beer

Autophysn
10-03-2008, 08:01 PM
My connection must be acting up, not sure if my post are getting thru, but you guys have a point, I may be dealing with a bad distributor. So lets get back on the main question, Where are you guys buying the Lifan motors?
It would be a direct bolt on for my son's application. His go kart would accept one of these with no mods. If your performance is as you say, I would be more than happy to go your route. I have just been burned twice over.

Vealmonkey
10-03-2008, 08:33 PM
I bought mine off ebay. I think some people have gotten them from dr.atv and some have bought them from atc70.com and some from ebay. I'm not sure of any other sources for lifan engines unless people know of some how to get them direct. Not all lifan engines come with all the right parts and some need rewired or new connections for them to be compatable. Some come with a different coil. I don't know if the 350x style coil works on the lifans, I prefer the original looking coil and I know there will be a place to bolt it up like stock on my trike already. Some people like me have bought trx sidecovers and using atc recoil starter have converted the kick start engines to pull start engines. You may have to buy longer cables. It just really depends on your application. If you go to atc70.com, they have longer cables and longer kill buttons and taller handlebars and some little snazzy items for the atc70, but I'm not sure what would work for the go kart. Best of luck to you, but most people I know have had good luck with the lifan engines.

Dirtcrasher
10-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Tu shay :beer

Tu Shay????? Your post alone made myself and 2 other guys who are in the market for a LIFAN to second guess them.

Were there any facts behind your opinion? I was considering keeping the stock motor and maybe adding a big bore kit to it after your post got my wheels turning.

If anyone is a true testament to general knowledge of the ATC70 or the power of a Lifan - it's KASEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where did your information come from? We would all appreciate a response.

Autophysn
10-03-2008, 09:51 PM
look on ATVrider.com's forum's

They have lots about the chinese engines. Most of my experience comes from the chinese engines that come with the bike when purchased. I have had nothing but problems, and have tried all that has been suggested, from gearing to clutch work. Comments where made about my son's driving ability, as to what gear he is in. Both vehicles are CVT and only have one gear.

My opinions are based on my bad experiences. It appears others have had better than mine. I urge you to talk to them. According to the general responces, I may have come off as an assh@le for what I have posted. However in no way am I trying to offend anybody. I thought this was a place to share our experiences and gain knowledge from others, based on their individual experiences.

Therefore, I will keep my "opinions" to my self.

However my sole intent was to try and avoid an other person to go thru the issues I have had. My words have been strong, and I deeply regret that. You are correct, I have little experience with the ATC70 or it's replacement motors from Lifan. However if you go back and read through my posts, you will get a better understanding of what I am trying to say. I thought I was very clear in the way I presented my arguments, and posted several links to where I got my information from. Apparently I was wrong.

I am sorry if I offended anyone, Feel free to bann me. Richard

Vealmonkey
10-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Nobody is trying to argue with you. No one is sure what engines are in the vehicles you have. No one likes to hear of peoples negative experiences. I've never had one of the vehicles you describe and I didn't know that it was a cvt trans. I've seen inexperienced people not downshift an engine and then complain when it won't haul them around. I can speak about my experiences with lifan engines and I've been blessed with trouble free operation. I had to improvise while hooking up the electrics, but there are explanations for all that upon another website. There are many chinese knockoff engines that I wouldn't recommend, but people have had good luck with the lifans. Alot of the little chinese 4 wheelers and go karts I wouldn't recommend to someone that I didn't like, let alone to a friend. But I like the lifan engines and they are about the best bet in an atc70 with a thrashed engine. If you are a really handy and experienced engine builder, than I would say to rebuild a 70 engine and have fun.

KASEY
10-03-2008, 11:52 PM
here is a short vid of a lifan engine pulling my 220 lb butt around in sand,,, notice its not really reving much too? that was before a gearing change to get a few more rpm's to get it in the power a little better,,, there was a little kid there that weekend that rode it he could stay with me on my 450 on that track,,, i think he weighed like 110lbs.... believe me when i say ,,, TRUE LIFAN motors are pretty much bullet proof for me so far,,,, and i really hammer on them in the sand,,, i guess i figure if i can't break it they are pretty durable,,, and that helps alot of people who are wanting to put them in their 70's i guess you call it real world testing ,,,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87_Ilkni2o4

Autophysn
10-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Don't think anyone could argue with that.
I stand corrected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was freaking sweet! You are the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
point taken, my next purchase will be a Lifan. Sounds like you have a header on it? Was that at Glamis?

KASEY
10-04-2008, 12:22 AM
it was at gordons well,,, with my 130lb daughter it will spin a set of 6 paddle gliders,,she can go anywhere a big bike will and sometimes faster!, we ride our 70's at glamis too,,,, here is what it looks like stopped
http://i23.tinypic.com/5ckrif.jpg

and here is what it looks like in action,,,
http://i21.tinypic.com/9ftv6t.jpg

Autophysn
10-04-2008, 12:29 AM
My God, that is a piece of art. Congradulations:drool:

KASEY
10-04-2008, 12:34 AM
thats one of at least 10,,, here is #2 this is the latest one i just finished,,, 125cc' lifan it will pull the front wheel in 3 gears on pavement,, with the extended swinger too,,,, but the motor has been woirked on a little:lol:
http://i37.tinypic.com/23vayu.jpg

oneclick
10-04-2008, 09:28 PM
whooa... i didn't really mean to start a fight or anything - LOL... but all of this is GOOD information to know,
experience is key when try to find information on a certain product, whether it be a good or bad experience,
it's still good to hear about either way.

I decided to give my engine another life, i ended up removing the engine yesterday and i will be
rebuilding it, i already have the stuff ordered, as soon as it arrives i'll have it rebuilt in a few days.

This rebuild will hold me over this winter, then in spring the lifan will be do-able
(right now all of my extra $$$ has been going into building my Truck/C10 (http://www.sfphosting.com/78gmc/)!). :)

Jason

oneroom42
02-02-2009, 06:06 AM
i have taken a 110 atv for a ride and i know what your talking about with the power issue. it had horrible pickup and it was also not a lifan motor. so autophysn you dont stand alone. i think most lifan motors say lifan right on the stator cover. i could be wrong though. anyways i am lookin at the lifan 125 on ebay $318 shipped. ebay store coolquad2008. it seems to me like the best deal, cause it includes everything including cables. i think that is my next project come tax return and i cant wait.

aaron7
02-02-2009, 09:11 AM
There's a reason they call the Lifan a 'china copy'... because it is!

They use inferior metals that break easy, they don't clean the casting up well, replacement parts aren't the easiest to find, etc.

I had a Lifan 110cc on my 64 Honda C100. The original 49cc was far superior.

The Goat
02-02-2009, 10:36 AM
then sir you seriously got a lemon.

My lifan is still a trouble free beast...and produces superior power to a stock rebuilt 200x.

aaron7
02-02-2009, 06:08 PM
I don't see how you can defend cheap Chinese motors vs the original Honda's that they are designed from...?

Blown 331
02-02-2009, 06:15 PM
I don't see how you can defend cheap Chinese motors vs the original Honda's that they are designed from...?

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't take one for free. Everyone who loves them says they are cheap, reliable and make decent power. That stuff is great but it's still not a Honda and I would never trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro-ize my bike with one.