PDA

View Full Version : Went green yesterday but in a red way. lol.

Blown 331
09-29-2008, 08:54 AM
So I went up to the Harley swap meet yesterday and picked up a Red 1985 Kawasaki Tecate for $300. No cracks in the plastic, no tears in the seat brand new 20 inch shredders, DG pipe and some type of round aluminum silencer and a spare frame It needs a stator and a chain. Still a great buy I think.
I also picked up a near perfect OE green front fender, near perfect rear 87 T3 Maiers and a new in the packaged green Ceet tank cover all for my brothers 85 T3 for $100. The guy has a bunch more Tecate parts including some 86/87s, extended swing arm. etc. He was selling a running green 84 for $750 but would take 6. I didn't have the money for that one plus the plastic wasnt as nice as my red one, had stock pipe and well worn tires. I also just missed a 200x with blown trans for $100. And he was selling a really nice 225DX with blown rear for $300.
Now this is my first T3 so all suggestions / tips are welcome! My brothers stator went out and he picked up the ignition winding only for $35 so he didn't replace the whole stator. I may try that, oh my fly wheel and lights are missing too. I like my brothers so I cant wait to get it running. The tank is pretty decent too. I'm thinking of going over the plastic with some 1000 or 2000 grit then polish. All the plastic should look great after that.

WIkid500
09-29-2008, 09:15 AM
great find! Good deal on the price too! Should be able to find the parts around here or ebay. The fine sand and buff will make the plastics shine like new again.

TravEX
09-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Wish I could find swap meets like that around here!

firehart
09-29-2008, 09:50 AM
I have a friend who is the original owner of his red Tecate. Its getting the motor rebuilt right now. Even though he has no ride right now, he still refuses to ride one of my Hondas.

Vealmonkey
09-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Cool beans. I'll be looking forward to more progress on you getting this trike running again. Congrats, and great find.

Blown 331
09-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Cool beans. I'll be looking forward to more progress on you getting this trike running again. Congrats, and great find.

Yeah I just bought 2 ATC70s, an 84 250R and now this Tecate all within about the last month so I'm wanting to chill on spending money on them for a bit but I really want to ride this thing.
I need a flywheel, my brothers flywheel magnets have been re-glued by someone. An aftermarket flywheel is $125 and does not have glued magnets so I might be better off just getting that rather than find a used one what might come apart and trash the stator again.
I found just the ignition winding for the stator for $39. Or I can buy the whole stator for $125.
I'm not really sure what to do so I'm waiting for the Tecate guys to chime in.

Also this thing is super tight everywhere. All the bearings are good- front and back axles, swing arm etc and all the brakes work great. This thing doesn't need much at all, even the sprockets are in great shape.

brapp
09-29-2008, 10:15 AM
nice score man
if you got the coin and dont need light sgrab a motoplatt/ pvl ignition or if you want stockish grab a ricky stator flywheel and stator thier not too salty but still up there git it runnin and le tus know how she rips

RID3R
09-29-2008, 11:28 AM
That front fender looks different..? I have a stator and flywheel too. Good find!

Blown 331
09-29-2008, 11:35 AM
That front fender looks different..? I have a stator and flywheel too. Good find!

Are you saying you have a good stator and flywheel for sale? If so how much shipped to 62264 and I have paypal. PM me if you like.
I'll have to compare the front fender to my brothers but I didn't notice anything different about it but I wasn't really paying attention to it either.

3Razors
09-29-2008, 11:41 AM
I would try and find just the stator winding and soldier it in. I've had very bad luck with the Ricky Stators and I know several others with the same experience. I've seen a few other companies that just sell the ignition winding and you install it on your own stator plate, electrex is one I remember off hand. The ricky flywheels are good upgrade though with no glued magnets to come apart.

rasorroad250r
09-29-2008, 01:51 PM
The ricky stator on mine is new and just went bad after 1 ride. I went with the pvl ignition to be trouble free for sure.

nd4speed
09-29-2008, 05:30 PM
If I knew someone with an an extended T3 swing arm I would buy it.

fabiodriven
09-29-2008, 05:53 PM
If I knew someone with an an extended T3 swing arm I would buy it.

It's not too hard to do yourself. I did my own and it came out pissa. There's a thread on it. I'monna try to put the hyperlink on here, but I've never done it before so bear with me...

(if you look at the thread, I immediately ditched the awful blue paint)

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=86606

fabiodriven
09-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Nice score, man! That's a great price! If I were to come upon all that Tecate stuff in one place, I would've come up with a scheme to buy everything the guy had, no kidding. I try to avoid events like that just fot that reason.

I've been running the whole Ricky Stator setup (rotor, stator, voltage reg.) for about a year or two now with no issues, but alot of people seem to gripe about them so ??? I did notice a pretty significant power increase upon installation. Works for me-

Erics350x
09-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Lucky b#$%$&@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tri-Z Pilot
09-29-2008, 06:38 PM
i would have trampled you and my grandmother to get that deal:D
very nice grab though, i wish they had swaps like that around here.

Blown 331
10-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Ah, pay day. Just ordered the ignition winding to repair the stator for $39 and ordered a new flywheel with integral magnets so I won't have to worry about them flying off like the stocker. I can't wait to get it going.

Blown 331
10-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Got my new flywheel with non-glued magnets and the stator windings for the ignition side yesterday. I soldered the coils in and put it together. It fired up in about 2 kicks and sounded great. Kinda loud, great throttle response. I needed to get a master link so I couldn't ride it. So I went to get one and try it again.
I can't believe I did this because I know better but I didn't have the flywheel tight enough and I sheared the flywheel key!
No other damage done. I work about 2 miles from a dealer and they have one in stock, I'm picking it up at lunch which is in 30 minutes.
The master link is on and I should be riding tonight. Can't wait.

Twilight
10-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Your penis is gonna fly off, haha have fun with it!

Blown 331
10-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Your penis is gonna fly off, haha have fun with it!

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/images/smilies2/supergay.gif

jmack3986
10-10-2008, 03:20 PM
where are the pics? Come on blown your leaving us hanging.

Blown 331
10-10-2008, 03:26 PM
where are the pics? Come on blown your leaving us hanging.

lol. Well theres a pic in my first post. I'll see about getting some better ones soon.

jmack3986
10-10-2008, 03:33 PM
haha I completely missed it. Hopefully it rides nice. I finally got to ride my r the other day after about 2 years of motor work. mostly because the motor was 1000 miles away.

Blown 331
10-10-2008, 03:45 PM
haha I completely missed it. Hopefully it rides nice. I finally got to ride my r the other day after about 2 years of motor work. mostly because the motor was 1000 miles away.

Yeah I have a super nice liquid 250R with small mods that was down for awhile and wow is it great to be on that thing again. I'm hoping the Tecate has somewhat similar power. My air cooled R is like an ATC70 compared to the 85. lol. I guess I'll find out in under 4 hours.

scooterroo
10-10-2008, 06:16 PM
watch out, cuz when the powerband kicks in on the t3 it really kicks. sometimes they are unpredictable!!! have fun man, nice to see another t3 on the boards.

Blown 331
10-11-2008, 08:57 AM
watch out, cuz when the powerband kicks in on the t3 it really kicks. sometimes they are unpredictable!!! have fun man, nice to see another t3 on the boards.

You weren't kidding, wow. My brother has a bone stock 1985 T3 and it runs good but nothing like this red one. As far as I know it is stock other than exhaust but the pipe is DG (not sure what silencer is). It's really loud though, the "pinging" is very distinctive and lound kinda like my 85 250R so I'm thinking maybe it has some compression, who knows. I'm under the assumption the DG pipe is about like stock. My 85 250R has an ESR pipe, 36mm flat slide, Boysen Rad valve, fresh wiseco and extra compression. And to tell you the truth the T3 with a crap pipe is pretty comparable to the 250R with a way better pipe and more mods! I'm a hard core Honda guy and this kinda disapoints me. Ha ha. Someone on here has a signature that reads just ride a T3 and they you will know, that's no joke. I like this thing a lot, its definetly a keeper and the best part is I have well under $500 in it!

When I first took off on it it had a dead spot in the throttle just off idle to about half throttle. Well I took the carb apart and the needle was broke off about a eigth inch below the clip and the bottom part of the needle was just gone! I had a spare carb laying around that's pretty much junk and it looked about like the same carb so I stole that needle and wow, this thing runs perfect. It really amazes me. One thing is it has a bent axle but I got a T3 swing arm like 12 years ago and didn't know what it was. The pic is gone but here is my link on that, not much to see. Its everything, axle, hubs, brakes, etc.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=27999&highlight=swing+arm

edog
10-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Got any more pics????