PDA

View Full Version : ATC 110 pilot screw adjustment, please Help!

danpalms15
09-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Hi everyone, I posted about this like 1 month ago, but nothing works, I have 2 ATC 110's 1981 and 1980, I need to adjust the pilot screw on them, they don't run right, i allready cleaned both carbs out, both tanks have no rust, one of them runs fine but idles high, then gets lower and lower then dies. the other one all and all doens't run like it used to, i had to mess with the factory adjustment becuase I cleaned the carb out and took the pilot screw off. The factory adjustment in my manual says 1 1/8 turns out, but it doens't run right with that setting, can someone please help! Thanks in advance!!!:)

honda_atc200es
09-28-2008, 05:43 PM
are you sure you don't mean the air/fuel screw, or even the idle screw? these are located outside your carburetor

danpalms15
09-28-2008, 06:10 PM
ya thats what i mean, my book calls it the pilot air screw, so i just called it the pilot screw. sorry, any suggestions?

honda_atc200es
09-28-2008, 06:58 PM
no problem, are you positive your getting adequate gas? take the fuel line off the carb and turn it to on with the other end in a gas can, just check to make sure its flowing freely on both the on and reserve positions. make sure that you do not have any air leaks, such as a dry rotted intake boot, do that and then check back. if it isnt any of those things, you might be jetted too lean

danpalms15
09-28-2008, 07:05 PM
ya the gas flows like a banshee outaa there, before i did this, with the carb looking like crap on the inside it use to run better, my intake boot is metal, theres a seal between the carb and intake boot, theres one like gasket one, theres a plastic spacer and then theres an o-ring on the carb maybe the seal is bad or the o-ring, i think i have a new seal but didn't put it on yet, when my friend had it before me and everything was dirty it used to run better, i mean now it runs good, just won't idle good, idles for a little while then after riding it, idles for alil then goes slower and slower then dies, does kinda sound liek an air leak? let me know

honda_atc200es
09-28-2008, 07:15 PM
it might be too lean of a pilot jet, hopefully someone more experienced will chime in, but thats what i assume

peter250r
09-30-2008, 08:31 AM
THESE MUST BE DONE AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE!

for the 1980 points ignition atc110 you need to:

a portable tachometer would help here.

adjust the idle screw to obtain the lowest stable idle speed. turn the pilot air screw clockwise until the engine decreases or begins to miss. note the location of the air screw. turn the pilot air screw anticlockwise until the engine speed decreases or begins to miss. note the location of the air screw. NOW TURN THE PILOT AIR SCREW MIDWAY BETWEEN THE TWO POINTS.

check idle speed and readjust if necessary should be between
1600rpm and 1800rpm

for the 1981 cdi igniton atc110 you need to:

a portable tachometer would help here agfor the preliminary adjustment, carefully turn the pilot screw in until it seats LIGHTLY and then back it out 1 & 1/8
turns.

start engine and let it reach operating temp.

attach tachometer if ya got one, turn the idle speed to obtain 1600 to 1800rpm turn the pilot screw in slowly until the engine stops running, then stop. back the pilot screw out one full turn.

restart engine and check the engine idle speed. readjust the idle if necessary.

and thats it

danpalms15
10-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks kingwood, for the 1980, I can't even get it to idle, thats why i can't even adjust the pilot screw.If it have it idling high, it will run them just keep popping, then dies. For the 1981 I took carb apart again and forget to take out the pilot jet, it was all clogged right upp. cleaned it up good with carb clean again, now i got it to idle, maybe ill try your way with the pilot screw though, i did adjust it pretty close to the way you said, i turned it clockwise till engine speed decreased, then turned it back out until engine speed, from what i could hear was the highest, idles good now, i don't have a tach either, the only tihng, i think its normal though, if i got up a hill say in first gear slow, when i get up to the top and let off the gas, it likes to stall, i think it does becuase theres so much load on the engine? thanks though, i might try an air leak on the 1980 110, i think i need a new gasket between the manifold and theengine, i broke that seal a little while back to clean the manifold and it never really ran right after that. Any other suggetions? THanks ALot