PDA

View Full Version : How many members have registered 3 wheelers

oldtime3wheeler
09-26-2008, 07:58 PM
I was wondering how many members here had there 3 wheelers registered/ titled? Does it make a trike worth a little more to be registered/titled? I just received my title back from Harrisburg today for my '85 Big Red. Now its titled, insured, and has the plate mounted on it. Nice knowing I can ride the public areas without trouble.

ChrisD
09-26-2008, 08:02 PM
I don't even live in PA, but my bikes are registered there. I ride in PA a lot and it is very easy to register them there, so I thought it was a no brainer.

edog
09-26-2008, 08:09 PM
I would not be caught dead without a regi.That gives the fish cops a reason to pull you over.

thefox
09-26-2008, 08:10 PM
After 10 years of owned a trike I got mine registered this summer. The 200E is registered, the 350x is registered and insured. My insurance is $77 a year through progressive.

I think having the papers for the trike is a bonus but doesn't raise the value much if any for the majority of the buyers.

Yamatrike400
09-26-2008, 08:23 PM
In Minnesota, your ATV doesn't have to be registered if its 25 years or older. I love my First gen R :D :TrikesOwn

firehart
09-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Only my 110 is registered. I need to get bills of sale for the other two.

83ATC185S
09-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Nope not registered or titled, dont even have a bill of sale anymore.

blue27
09-26-2008, 08:41 PM
I have the certifacate of origin (which can be used to get a title) for my Tiger 250 from the original dealer, other then that only 2 of the quads are titled.

fabiodriven
09-26-2008, 08:49 PM
I got my 250 registered in Mass. I started registering a few years ago when the greenies caught me and gave me a month to reg or I'd get a ticket. It doesn't help much in Mass, though. Sometimes the tickets can actually add up to more when registered than getting a ticket for being unregistered. Only in Mass I tells ya-

russell56443
09-26-2008, 09:38 PM
(((In Minnesota, your ATV doesn't have to be registered if its 25 years or older. I love my First gen R)))
Wow,I didnt know that,My 82 R is registered and my KLT was when I sold it.

Atc GuY
09-26-2008, 09:43 PM
I don't think I have to get mine registered in Michigan, but I don't think I will, I've heard too many stories of people having to return them because the were stolen years ago.

edog
09-26-2008, 09:49 PM
In the state of NH you only need to buy 1 regi if the atv is 25 years old. You will never need to buy another one EVER again in the state of NH. 2 more years to go for my 1985 250R. I will soon be getting one for 1977 GPX 177. It supposed to be some kind of small plate.

DeePa
09-26-2008, 10:03 PM
any links to that info?

edog
09-26-2008, 10:17 PM
any links to that info?

I think it may apply to NH residents only.

I found this info on the rules an regulations flyer an the local atv dealer.
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/OHRV/2009_OHRV_Laws_Digest.pdf

This one is a little out of date.

fla 2-stroke
09-26-2008, 10:37 PM
all 6 of my trikes and 3 four wheelers are titled and registered here in fla.any atv older than 02 you just need a bill of and bam a title is issued.

y2kane
09-26-2008, 11:15 PM
none of mine are registered. don't even have a bill of sale. wish i did so i could register them.

Erics350x
09-27-2008, 12:56 AM
Those of you that are paying insurance might want to look at the "book value" on our old trikes. Which is what the insurance company will pay out, unless you have it insured for more than its valued at. The nada value on a 85 350x in excellent condition is only $475 and $450 for the 85 250r.

oldtime3wheeler
09-27-2008, 01:32 AM
Im only paying $15 a year for mine.

adrianc
09-27-2008, 01:12 PM
I have my 225DRS and honda Foreman both registered and insured for the road in Ireland.

factoryX
09-27-2008, 02:22 PM
I have my 225DRS and honda Foreman both registered and insured for the road in Ireland.
so your bikes are street legal?

NINJA
09-27-2008, 05:24 PM
I have a title and a registration for my 86 200X from WI
Bill of sale for my 200R

thefox
09-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Those of you that are paying insurance might want to look at the "book value" on our old trikes. Which is what the insurance company will pay out, unless you have it insured for more than its valued at. The nada value on a 85 350x in excellent condition is only $475 and $450 for the 85 250r.

I don't have collision on mine so replacement value isn't an issue, just the minimum liability coverage. In NY the state says you have to have the ATV registered, it has to be registered and insured if you use it anywhere other then your own personal land.

tapper190
09-27-2008, 08:04 PM
I have two of my 5 registered. Out of the two, I have insurance on the 200x. I can only ride one at a time. All I have to do is call the insurance company, to flip it over to the 250 sx.
Tapper

WaimakRydah
09-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Over here in NZ legally you have to be registered to ride on the beach but I have seen heaps of trikes and quads with no plates at a beach down the road with no plates. Most of those people only use them for whitebaiting. I think you can get some sort of rego which allows you to ride like 5km from your house on the road. I sometimes ride down on the road to the river to ride. I used to use a dodgy plate but since some of my rack snapped i took it off and the plates mounted to that.

Apparantly if you have an atv regod for farm use etc. You dont legally have to wear a helmet if you are going under 35 km/h but that is slow as.

I have seen afew raptors at the river with plates on them.

Erics350x
09-27-2008, 10:39 PM
I don't have collision on mine so replacement value isn't an issue, just the minimum liability coverage. In NY the state says you have to have the ATV registered, it has to be registered and insured if you use it anywhere other then your own personal land.

Ok, that makes abit more since

2hundredx
10-21-2008, 04:12 PM
so are your guys's trikes road legal? and if you dont have a bill of sale, is there any way to get your trike registered?

Jonpin
10-21-2008, 04:18 PM
yea if theres some way of sending out for a title that would be awsome im just afraid ill try to send my vin numbers and find out it was stolen like 13 years ago and they try to take it from me ,is there a place to ask about the vins and see if they where stolen at one time and make sure the frames arnt hot and does it even matter after so long

edog
10-21-2008, 04:27 PM
so are your guys's trikes road legal? and if you dont have a bill of sale, is there any way to get your trike registered?

In the state of NH you need to have a limited slip differential and dot approved tires, horn, blinkers, light. The biggest hurdle for the trike is the differentiall. I am still working on making it happen.

thefox
10-21-2008, 06:09 PM

Mine in registered and insured but it is titled as an Off Road Vehicle so no, it is not road legal.

3wheeler-nut
10-21-2008, 06:58 PM
registering atc's in CA is a pain in the ass very expensive too one or two years out of registration is gonna cost you $130 at least and you better have a title or it adds on to theheadaches if all you have is a bill of sale you have to fill out statement of facts lost title forms blah blah blah:rolleyes:

code200k
10-21-2008, 07:01 PM
thefox what do you need to title one in ny since im young it wont look good if i git stopped by the 5-0 for riding on some ones eslse prop

2hundredx
10-21-2008, 07:07 PM
is there any way to register your atc if you dont have a bill of sale. i would really like to

tanks350x
10-21-2008, 07:10 PM
I have mine registered in N.H cost me $73 because I live out of state. Hey edog, I just picked up a new frame, how much will it cost me for transferring it over to new vin#??

WIkid500
10-21-2008, 07:14 PM
My ytm-200 is registered here in WI and insured. I think it cost me 48 dollars for a year of ins. for the ytm. The 85 200x will be registered when it's done and hit's the trail. Insurance covers it while it sits in the garage, liability will go on it when that one hit's the trail too.
I laughed when I talked to the ins. lady when I insured my ytm, shes like "Oh those little 200 cc three wheelers are cheap to insure, they don't go to fast." I just agreed and said yep not so fast.

edog
10-21-2008, 07:15 PM
I have mine registered in N.H cost me $73 because I live out of state. Hey edog, I just picked up a new frame, how much will it cost me for transferring it over to new vin#??

$25...........

WIkid500
10-21-2008, 07:17 PM
is there any way to register your atc if you dont have a bill of sale. i would really like to

Just take the vin # to the DNR office and tell them you want to register the thing. Just tell them it got lost over the years and it's an old trike you fixed up from shambles. They will go for it, Oh yeah tell them you only paid a few dollars for it then you won't get hit with taxes much.

edog
10-21-2008, 07:18 PM

wheelie king
10-21-2008, 07:20 PM
In FL we can register them as an "off highway vehicle". I have my 350 X registered and stickered as an OHV. The state and national parks around here actually require a registration of some kind.

hublake
10-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Not much of a problem in MI. When I purchase one I get a bill of sale stating the price, VIN number and the name of the person I bought it from. Take that to the Sec. of States office and apply for a title. You have to pay 6% sales tax on the amount you paid and (I think) $15 for a title. Takes about a week. It is titled not for highway use. The title basically shows and proves you are the owner. You still need to get a ORV sticker to use it on property not yours or to go trail riding.

tanks350x
10-21-2008, 07:25 PM

Thanks edog, I can't wait to start tearing into the changover:naughty: :naughty:

edog
10-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks edog, I can't wait to start tearing into the changover:naughty: :naughty:

Do you mean a golf cart on steroids?

tanks350x
10-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Do you mean a golf cart on steroids?

call it what you want, but it's still a Honda:D

nd4speed
10-21-2008, 07:53 PM
I got a ticket from the Michigan DNR this summer and I they called in my vin and my friends. Neither Bike or Atv are registered. Nothing was said about registration. Just wanted drivers license.

I have also PLPD insured an unregistered ATV in MI.

hublake
10-21-2008, 08:21 PM
I got a ticket from the Michigan DNR this summer and I they called in my vin and my friends. Neither Bike or Atv are registered. Nothing was said about registration. Just wanted drivers license.

I have also PLPD insured an unregistered ATV in MI.

What was your ticket for? No ORV sticker or what? There is a difference between a title and an ORV sticker.

nd4speed
10-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Ticket was for "operating in a closed area" aka million mile long power line trail in Atlanta, MI that has been ridden for years and is still ridden on now. Just don't go there on holiday weekends I guess. They busted 6 people that hour they said and I watched them go after some other guy but he got away. But hey nevermind the guy riding a quad with a small child on his lap and neither one of them wearing helmets.

All you need is a drivers license to buy an ORV sticker. As a matter of fact I told him my driver's license number was on my ORV sticker and he said that didn't matter. He never looked for our ORV stickers. Just wrote down all our info and called it in.

A title is a way for the state government to tax you and make money on the things you own, buy, and sell.

thefox
10-21-2008, 08:50 PM
thefox what do you need to title one in ny since im young it wont look good if i git stopped by the 5-0 for riding on some ones eslse prop

I had an old registration for the 350X and the original certificate of origin for the 200E.

When I registered a moped a while back whisk the previous owner had lost the registration there were a few forms to fill out and have the o/p sign in along with a tracing of the VIN order to get it registered.

Autophysn
10-22-2008, 12:14 AM
Guess it would depend on where you ride. I go to BLM areas, so I need to show them the green sticker or they will not let you ride. However we also own private land, and we could do what ever we want.
Depends on your intentions. What I do not have is insurance.

2hundredx
10-22-2008, 09:00 AM
is a bill of sale just a piece of paper from the previous owner that says that he sold it to you or what?

hublake
10-22-2008, 09:19 AM
is a bill of sale just a piece of paper from the previous owner that says that he sold it to you or what?

Thats right, a bill of sale says that on a certain date, for a certain amount, Joe Blow sold you a trike with a VIN number. In MI when I go to get a title they use the VIN number to check to see if it was stolen. Comes back clean I get my title that shows my ownership.

2hundredx
10-22-2008, 09:34 AM
well my dad bought my trike from a guy in 85 and i dont think he has the bill of sale anymore. how would anyone know if like i made one ? (thats probably illegal but what else do i do?)

hublake
10-22-2008, 11:21 AM
well my dad bought my trike from a guy in 85 and i dont think he has the bill of sale anymore. how would anyone know if like i made one ? (thats probably illegal but what else do i do?)

Have your Dad sell it to you.

nd4speed
10-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Thats right, a bill of sale says that on a certain date, for a certain amount, Joe Blow sold you a trike with a VIN number. In MI when I go to get a title they use the VIN number to check to see if it was stolen. Comes back clean I get my title that shows my ownership.

That's what I do. Name, date, signature, VIN, and possibly address and license # whatever I can get out of them.

POS 250sx
10-22-2008, 03:06 PM
So a friend of my family runs a tow truck company, and some guy called him up saying to pick up this 3wheeler he didn't want it. He didn't want it so he gave it to me, no paperwork what so ever and i don't even know if it was stolen. Should I go have the vin run? Rear axle was hanging off and it ran kinda crappy, there's a reason it was free, but what if it was stolen 15 years ago? Btw Ive been riding this thing for about 4 years now.

Autophysn
10-22-2008, 05:48 PM
I would assume it all depends on your local laws, I don't know about New York, But in California, you can't just have a bill of sale per say, if their are any kind of issues or doubt, they want you to fill out their own form. Guess it legalizes it or something, but is a real pain in the wazoo. Then you have to track the guy down again and get another signature:cry:

Gearheadtom
10-27-2008, 06:43 PM
I have a 200M and I don't even have any papers for it. The plate is off a motorcycle. I live in Canada so you need to have a little registration sticker on the plate, which is a different color every year. The sticker on mine is '99 and blue, the '08 stickers are blue, looks registered from a distance. If I stay off public trails I'm fine.