PDA

View Full Version : what size sprockets to run? chain links?

kilabeez0
06-22-2003, 01:59 AM
i need to order a front sprocket for my 200x. i have a new replacement rear, i think 42 teeth maybe? any way what is a good combo? i'm ordering a bunch of stuff off of dennis kirk.

And how many links are in my chain? Sorry i haven't ordered a manual yet!

MountainRider
06-24-2003, 10:30 AM
I tried to post this yesterday, but I guess it didn't take. A good all around front sprocket is the stock 12 tooth. If you spend a lot of time in the hills and need more "low end grunt", drop down to an 11 tooth. I prefer using the 11 tooth off a 185. It uses 3 small headed bolts instead of 2 larger headed bolts, and the chain won't chew up the retainer like it will on the 2 bolt version. If top speed is what you're looking for, jump up to a 13 or 14 tooth.

I'm not sure how many teeth the stock chain has, but when bought my new chain (RK I think) it was much longer than I needed. I just trimmed it down to the size i needed for my set-up.

Joel85350X
06-24-2003, 11:33 AM
I had a set of 22" realtors on my 200X back in the day, and I ran a 12 tooth on the front. My other set of tires were 18" turf tamers, and with the smaller size I ran and liked a 13 tooth sprocket.