PDA

View Full Version : do all the foot brakes on 90/110/125 stink this bad??

kilabeez0
09-24-2008, 04:37 PM
using the hand brake works pretty good, but there is so much play in the foot pedal it's almost pointless having it. i mean i know they're only drums, but come on. you cant use your toes, you have to use your heel so your able to push that sucker down like a 12 inches. are they all like this? this is my second 110 and it has new shoes and is correctly adjusted, so i'm thinking they're all like this.

SWIGIN
09-24-2008, 04:45 PM
yours sounds worse then most but they do have more travel then disc brakes do.

which was the main reason i added disc to my 110

Vealmonkey
09-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Sounds like you need some more adjusting. Sometimes the problem is that there is too much material worn off on the inside of the drum. 2 ways to deal with this. One way is to find a place that will flame spray metal to the inside of the drum or be patient and do alot of welding to the inside of the drum and then turn the inside down on a brake lathe. The other alternative is to try and find the vesrah brake shoes that have the extra thick linings which compensate to a certain point for the missing metal in the brake drum. Sometimes it's easy to find the brake shoes with the extra material, sometimes you have to weld and turn the drums down. I've had to do both but I bought several sets of the thicker lined brake shoes last time I found some. You just have to really hunt for the brake shoes.

oscarmayer
09-24-2008, 06:31 PM
have you checked the adjustment screw on the back where it meets the lever?you may just need to tighten it up some for adjustment..

bad350
09-25-2008, 02:27 AM
you can also move the adjuster arm a couple of teeth back on the splines this will allow the shoes to open up futher to compensate for the worn drum. i've done it countless times this will also leave you some more ajustment on the cable

Erics350x
09-25-2008, 08:34 AM
I don't remember the set up on the 110's but a couple more common problems on most drum set up's are, the cable stretches/linkage bends or the shoe pivot wears down

250rAL
09-26-2008, 08:35 PM
My '82 only had about 2-3 inches of travel at the pedal and would easily lock up the wheels on pavement There's definately something amiss with yours.