PDA

View Full Version : they are going to Plate Trikes in Ohio for road use!?

y2kane
09-24-2008, 07:42 AM
Yes gas is getting expensive. On bmv ohio there is a posting about plating trikes to help people with the rising gas prices. I am sure they are not talking about actually three wheelers but might be worth a shot. If anyone tries to plate their trike and it works they need to let me know. None of my trikes are titled so I would have to get titles then plates.

http://www.publicsafety.ohio.gov/news/2008/3wheel_092208.pdf

300rman
09-24-2008, 12:21 PM
well, i know 3 wheeled harley conversion deals are legal, so idk what this could apply to?

WIkid500
09-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Ohio law will now allow titling and registering of three-wheel motor vehicles as motorcycles if the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin indicates the vehicle meets the federal specifications of a motorcycle.

Doesn't the bold kill the chances of a 3wheeler making the street? Our trikes are ATV's not motorcycles. Now a crf250 conversion, or and enduro bike converted to a trike might have better chances.

EDIT: reading further: "“Starting Tuesday, the BMV will begin titling any three-wheel motor vehicle as a motorcycle when presented with the proper evidence to make services more convenient to Ohioans."

I like that statement!

I would try it!

oscarmayer
09-24-2008, 01:18 PM
post pics and results!!!!!

ditchmud
09-24-2008, 01:37 PM
EDIT: reading further: "“Starting Tuesday, the BMV will begin titling any three-wheel motor vehicle as a motorcycle when presented with the proper evidence to make services more convenient to Ohioans."

I like that statement!

I would try it!
The proper evidence is the paperwork that comes with the vehicle when you purchase it called the "certificate of origin". That paper comes from the manufacturer and states the purpose of such vehicle. I don't remember atc's coming with anything other than a bill of sale, but if it did come with anything I am sure that it said "off road cycle"

Blown 331
09-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Honestly you can just license anything you want. I took the title to my 1984 XR500R to the DMV and got plates on it. There is nothing street legal about it, it even says offroad use only on the frame, it doesnt even have a brake light. There were no probs at all getting a plate for it. I asked for one and they handed it to me. They didn't ask what it was and didn't ask to see it. I garantee you could just take an ATC250R title to the DMV and ask for a plate and you'd get it. Just because you can get a plate on something doesn't make it legal.

oscarmayer
09-24-2008, 03:11 PM
legal is up to a different department. the state inspection is what decides if it's legal or not.

Blown 331
09-24-2008, 03:44 PM
legal is up to a different department. the state inspection is what decides if it's legal or not.

We don't have state or emission inspection of any kind.

POS 250sx
09-24-2008, 04:49 PM
If you can get a plate and pass inspection your good i would think. In NY all you need for motorcycle inspection is good tires, a horn, blinkers front and rear, brakes, brake lights, head light and tail light. I think. Besides that what else could you possibly need? Insurance is easy they don't give a rats ass long as you pay um. My motorcycle insurance is $145 a year, plus reg and getting lights if you dont have um that wouldnt cost much at all to turn your ATC into your get to work machine. I wish NY wasnt such a *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**E dited* retard. Lol cops would stop you all the time if you were driving that down the road. Theyd just assume you were some punk riding their machine illegally.

oscarmayer
09-24-2008, 06:24 PM
We don't have state or emission inspection of any kind.

then you are super lucky! chances are then they would let you do it. maybe even w/o looking the bike over.

schuhboy
09-24-2008, 10:10 PM
i have a buddy that bought a TRI-Z and YTM225 new in 1986. He had them inspected by the State Patrol: headlight, taillight w/brake light and an ooooggaa horn on the handlebars. (In Ohio you can use hand signals vs turn signals).....Now this was way back in 1986, the law had changed since then, but they told him he was grandfathered in, as long as he kept renewing the reg. They sit in his garage with licence plates attached, the cleanest ATCs one will ever see........been trying to buy em' for 10 yrs.