PDA

View Full Version : Need ATC 250R Info

schuhboy
09-23-2008, 09:53 PM
I have a 1985 Atc 250R that is currently in reassembly.....this has been a project that got side lined for the last 4 years due to having 2 kids. I have a new "school" motor, and purchased a roller that was in desparate need of help. Over the last few years i have been collecting parts and pieces. I was able to find a second roller for extra parts

I want to add an aftermarket axle and locking retainer.
The question is: What is the difference between the 85' and the 86'? Will an 86' lonestar axle work on the 85"? I read somewhere the brakes are different, and Honda has different part numbers for the swingarm and axle.

I work at an ATV dealership that sells all but Honda, and have very little experience with the Honda ATC's, but i'm 5 Star cert. w/Yamaha, and master with BRP.

Any input would help greatly.

Tri-Z Pilot
09-23-2008, 10:02 PM
the swingers were different due to the caliper mounting, and possibly the axle carriers. the 85 had a weird linkage mounted caliper, where as the 86 had a more simplified bracket mounted setup, calipers should be the same. i'm thinking axles from 85 to 89 should all work, but am not %100 on that, but someone here will know for sure. i bought an 86 trx swinger for mine to simplify the caliper mounting dilemma, it just looks cleaner to me.
anyways get that project back into gear, im sure the old girl is ready to be screamin again

Tri-Z Pilot
09-23-2008, 10:05 PM
also try someone like rad mfg for an aftermarket locking nut

schuhboy
09-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Is the TRX swingarm a direct fit?...........

Tri-Z Pilot
09-23-2008, 10:25 PM
86 and 87 trx swinger will fit, 88-89 has a solid tube at the the pivot point so the rear motor mount wont fit. also, later year axles will fit the 85 carrier, but you cant fit any other carrier in the 85 swinger, 85 was its own style

Mosh
09-24-2008, 07:07 AM
If you change over to the 86 axle,you must use the matching swingarm,carrier,and brake caliper bracket all for the 86.
The 85 carrier was smaller in diameter.It only fits the 85 swinger,and the axle only fits the 85 carrier.
The 86 and 87 TRX swingers will bolt right on the 85.

If you want to stay with the 85 set-up, I am pretty sure Durablue and/or Lonestar make a 85 axle.The locknuts will fit all years of the 250R.

I would suggest going with the 86 set-up,if you can round up the parts.Easier to get replacement parts,for the 86 and up years.

Welcome to the site,and good luck with your build.

We do a lot of riding on trikes here in Ohio,races,trail rides,etc.
The group is called the OTC(Ohio Trike Crew)
Check out the Local riding forum,if you are interesetd in joining us.Most of the events are within 2 hours driving of you.

schuhboy
09-24-2008, 09:35 PM
You guys are a big help....THANKS!

moshman: When I get this machine up and going, i would definately be interested in doing some riding. I will try to keep in touch.....The local group i ride with is called "Erie Shores Wreck Club" if you want a laugh we have a few pics and stuff on the site www.erieshoreswreckclub.com