PDA

View Full Version : Newbie and not sure.

Boomtown
09-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the whole 3-wheeler scene and recently got what i believe to be a Yamaha Tri-moto 200.. but I'm not completely sure.. I do know its a Yamaha.. And I know the sticker on the side of the seat said 200.. nothing else on the sticker.

Well anyway I've had it for about 2 years now and last year when I got it was interesting. At first it didn't run so i took the carb apart and cleaned it. Then cleaned the air box, sprayed some carb clean into it through the air box and it backfired, catching the air box on fire. So i got that put out and she ran beautifully! Ran her through the winter and then she sat for about 3 months now.

I go to crank it using the pull start(as that's all that is on it) and ran for about 5 seconds maybe then died, And on the rare occasion i can get her to sit and idle but i press the throttle and she die's.. Today i took the carb apart again thinking maybe all i need to do is clean this out.. Cleaned it up and got some crap out of where the needle sits. It looked a bit like corrosion or maybe dirt not quite sure there.. Anyways i cleaned all that out and put it back together. So now she doesn't do anything when i go to start her!! :(

I have no idea what to do and was gonna ask here if anyone could give me a direction to start heading in. I can probably get pictures soon, but the 200 stickers see, to be MIA now.. I'll see if i can find one.

Tri-Z 250
09-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Spark is good, or is it the same plug? Get a fresh plug and make sure you oil level is full. If you placed everything back to orig position, turn the air mix screw all the way in (no need to be super tight) start by turning it out 1-3/4 turns(never more than 2 full turns if so move needle clip). Is needle clip where it was when running correct right? If not start in the middle knoch if the bike runs lean drop the clip down(go the other way if too rich). As far as model is it shaft drive? How many gears(4or5speed)? Solid rearend? Shocks up front? How about racks? Lights?

Taiser
09-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Post the vin, I'll tell you what it is! Tri-Z has good tips. Bike only needs three things to run, gas, spark and air, gotta be one of those, you got spark? Check the air filter, after being parked it's been know to find critters building nests in there after being parked for a while. Gas could have gone bad too. Spray carb cleaner in the filter as you crank it...see if it fires for a few seconds. Check the fuel lines to the carb, see if gas is getting to the carb. Low compression might be a problem, but doubtful because you said it ran when you parked it, but you never know. Lots of things you can check at this stage, hope this helps.

SYKO
09-23-2008, 04:52 PM
sounds like junk in the gas, drain the tank, clean the petcock, put new lines on it, take the float needle seat out and make sure nothing is above it obstructing the flow of gas, should get you taken care of

welcome to the boards!! any chance your in east south alabama? we got a ride over here in GA comming up!

Boomtown
09-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Sparks good, no gray matter on it. Oil is good. I haven't changed or moved any screw's or clips so im not sure if that could be it or not, I'll tinker with that in a minute or two. 5 speed, Shocks in front, head light, brake light.

Just took the air box cover off and now it sounds as if its choking\gasping for air.. try's to start. When the air box is covered it doesn't even try.

As for the VIN, I'm not sure where to get that from? i found a number that is "21V-023718" that's the only number i see anywhere and that's from the frame up in front of the gas tank..

i apologize for the large image size
Pics.
http://www.geocities.com/boomtownxcs/IMG00308.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/boomtownxcs/IMG00309.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/boomtownxcs/IMG00310.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/boomtownxcs/IMG00311.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/boomtownxcs/IMG00312.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/boomtownxcs/IMG00313.jpg

Im not sure if its anything or not.. but the orange tube thats over the chain has what smells like gas dripping out of it occasionaly..

SYKO
09-23-2008, 05:05 PM
that would be your float bowl over flow tube (orange tube) indicating floats set to high or junk in on or around the needle seat in the carb like I said above.

edog
09-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Looks like a YTM 200EK Tri Moto.
Thats yellow thing that smells like gas is the overflow tube for the carb.

Boomtown
09-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Alrighty, ill take the carb off, tank off and everything like that clean it out real good, any way you recomend to clean it all?

Boomtown
09-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Hey, i just emptied the gas tank and added some more gas, it will crank and as long as im holding the throttle in it runs then cuts out and the air box has some gas pour into it and then stop.. are we making progress?

edog
09-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Carb cleaner for the carb.

Dump some more gas in the gastank and swish it around and then dispose of it.

I would recommend you take the Petcock out and clean that to.

Also put in inline fuel filter.

Boomtown
09-23-2008, 05:35 PM
alright, so you think its just a bunch of crap running through my gas lines? And a dirty carb?

edog
09-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Hey, i just emptied the gas tank and added some more gas, it will crank and as long as im holding the throttle in it runs then cuts out and the air box has some gas pour into it and then stop.. are we making progress?

Sound like your carb mite be gummed up.If you can find a rebuilt kit I would.

Boomtown
09-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Ok, and whats this "petcock" i keep hearing yall refer to? Any chance you might know where to get a rebuild kit? Any chance i can get this bugger working without a rebuild kit?

Ok.. so the petcock would more or less be the gas on\off\reserve correct?

edog
09-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Ok, and whats this "petcock" i keep hearing yall refer to? Any chance you might know where to get a rebuild kit? Any chance i can get this bugger working without a rebuild kit?

Ok.. so the petcock would more or less be the gas on\off\reserve correct?

Yes.

Try tapping the side of the float bowl with a small wrench to try and get the float need unstuck and free it up.This mite be part of the problem.Try some "dry gas" in the gas that mite help as well.

Boomtown
09-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Ok, well my arms killing me from pulling and pulling so im gonna stop for a while, the petcock is letting gas flow very nicely.. (took the hose off the carb and drained the tank) The gas wasn't discolored after i swished it around.. Next step it gonna be drain the carb, clean it real good and change the oil in it.. Would AMSOil for a 2 cycle be suitable for this? (i think that's what i have)

oh.. i was also wondering.. Should i be trying to start it with or without the air box cover and filter on or off?

Erics350x
09-23-2008, 06:58 PM
take the carb back off and use a strain of wire to clean the passages in the jets

SYKO
09-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Thats yellow thing that smells like gas is the overflow tube for the carb.

did I hear an echo? :wondering

SYKO
09-23-2008, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=Boomtown;657477] Would AMSOil for a 2 cycle be suitable for this? (i think that's what i have)

QUOTE]

nope... get some good ol 10w30 for that beast.

Boomtown
09-23-2008, 08:56 PM
ok, im really confused... the stuff i said is comming out of the carb is the exact same stuff in my oil... im thinking its water cause it doesnt look like oil.. and it doesnt smell like gas... So tomorrow im gonna drain the oil, fill her up and try again.. Completely cleaned the carb.. Random thought.. could no oil.. low oil cause it to crank.. run for roughly 10 seconds shut off and that come out of the carb into the air box? Also its taking roughly 20-30 pulls to get anything out of it.. could this be due to oil also?

Jonpin
09-24-2008, 03:52 AM
If there was no oil in it ,it would still run but start making terrible sounds and eventualy lead to a siezed up motor or something to that nature in a short time ,if theres water in the oil get it out soon as possible , its a 4 stroke so dont mix oil in the gas eaither,new plug never hurt anyone there cheap to.and the only thing that should ever come out of a carb is gas and air.

Boomtown
09-24-2008, 11:20 AM
OK, spark plug, oil.. Is there any majorly big difference in 10W30 and 10W40? And about how many Quarts do i need?

Jonpin
09-24-2008, 01:01 PM
the bike shop will tell you what plug you need and it doesnt realy matter between the two oils in my opinion get 2 quarts put like one and a half in and check the oil stick to see when its full

Boomtown
09-24-2008, 01:11 PM
ok, well i just checked the oil (before i drain it..) and it seems to smell like gas.. I'm almost 100% positive this is what seems to be comming out of my carb when i do get it to crank for all of 30 seconds till it dies and comes out.. im gonna see if i cant get it to crank and get some vid of what happens... As for the spark plug.. i dont have a local bike shop.. (unless your referring to like an actual Motorcycle shop..) Would i be able to carry the one i have to somewhere like autozone or O'Rileys and get a plug?

SYKO
09-24-2008, 01:12 PM
isnt there a oil dipstick on this trike? drain everything, the oil the gas tank... everything... start fresh! 10w30 is fine.

yes just a regular auto store you can get a plug at.

and really low or no oil, will sometimes cause the problem your having

here is a video of that problem
my 125m had NO OIL in it...... I didnt have the heart to tell them it didnt and videod them trying to make it run.... all they had to do was check the oil...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvuKthFA394

Boomtown
09-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Alrighty, well the spark plug will have to wait till the weekend.. (after i get paid) I got the oil sittin beside me. Im gonna say its low\no oil.. (low.. cause theres a bit on the dipstick..)

In the video.. When it died was there what seemed to be about a cup or so of liquid comming out of the carb? ill get a pic of what just came out (putting it in a cup..), i could be wrong about the amount

Jonpin
09-24-2008, 01:44 PM
thats krazy never seen that much come out of a carb

Boomtown
09-24-2008, 02:30 PM
http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00315ug8.jpg

This is whats comming out of my carb into my airbox..when i get it to run for 5-30 seconds.... Smells like gas.. and i know the gas in the carb is clean and clear.. Cause i can drain it and its perfectly fine... only time it gets muddy like that is when it runs..

Edit: NVM got it

Boomtown
09-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Out of curiosity.. Is there a conversion kit out there to convert my pull start to a kick start?

SYKO
09-24-2008, 10:21 PM
negative not anything that I know or heard of for that machine

Boomtown
09-24-2008, 10:35 PM
ok, ty, im gonna have to wait till friday to do anything more (the oil and stuff) cause some stuff came up.. so ill let yall know how it goes..

schuhboy
09-24-2008, 10:44 PM
I have experience with this.....first off: K & L should make a rebuild kit for the carb...they are cheap (like $35.00) and comes with a new needle and seat. Make sure the float height is good......I can get the spec from work if needed.

Take the tank off and clean it out good, you may have water in there from sitting.

Inspect the boot between the carb and the motor. They dry rot and crack with age. When the intake boot goes bad the bike don't run, it is that simple. This is something most people overlook.

Drop me an e-mail if you need some parts. I work for a Yamaha dealer and can ship pieces anywhere. schuhboy@excite.com

As for the plug, NAPA can get the NGK plugs.
Your machine should use a NGK D8EA. Try not to substitue, these normally sell for around 3 dollars.

Boomtown
09-24-2008, 10:50 PM
There is dry rot and kinda cracked.. but there's no complete holes through it.. (i put water in it and covered one end and attempted to blow in the other checking for holes, no water came out.. and air doesn't either)

Twilight
09-24-2008, 11:00 PM
When I get my carb clean I let it soak in carb cleaner overnight then blow it with a air compressor. Have you checked to see if you can see through the jet? If you have some thin wire you can push out any obstructions.

I always use the spray carb cleaner.

schuhboy
09-24-2008, 11:01 PM
I think the spark plug needs to be the next step.
Good Luck!

Boomtown
09-24-2008, 11:14 PM
Yea ive cleaned the carb, everything goes thru everywhere.. Im kinda worried about the oil smelling like gas.. so im gonna try that this weekend till i can get my plug

Tri-Z Pilot
09-25-2008, 11:03 PM
your oil could smell like gas do to worn rings, and your gettin ring blow by from the combustion chamber, or your needle valve is sticking open and flooding your bottom end. get the oil changed and throw in a new plug. at least you'll know your blood and fire are good then go from there.

Boomtown
09-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Hey guys, Drained the oil, cleaned the filter, oiled her up.. And she's was running.. But now the needle is hanging open flooding the bottom end out so i'm gonna have to get a rebuild kit. I found some pieces of metal in the oil when i drained it and my dad said it looked to big to be ring's, but we do need ring's cause its smoking real bad.

I found this carb rebuild kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-CARBURETOR-REBUILD-KIT-YFM-250-YTM-200-225_W0QQitemZ380058697733QQcmdZViewItem#ShippingPa yment would that work for me?

Also, anyone know some good cheap tires, or some tubes for Cheng Shin 22x11's? Oh and some way to fix front breaks? they were locked up and the hand lever doesn't work.

edog
09-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Hey guys, Drained the oil, cleaned the filter, oiled her up.. And she's was running.. But now the needle is hanging open flooding the bottom end out so i'm gonna have to get a rebuild kit. I found some pieces of metal in the oil when i drained it and my dad said it looked to big to be ring's, but we do need ring's cause its smoking real bad.

I found this carb rebuild kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-CARBURETOR-REBUILD-KIT-YFM-250-YTM-200-225_W0QQitemZ380058697733QQcmdZViewItem#ShippingPa yment would that work for me?

Also, anyone know some good cheap tires, or some tubes for Cheng Shin 22x11's? Oh and some way to fix front breaks? they were locked up and the hand lever doesn't work.
The metal in the oil could be from casting in the motor and from the clutch basket.

krizo88
09-27-2008, 08:21 PM
good to hear your making progress :Bounce

schuhboy
09-27-2008, 11:05 PM
That carb kit will work, but you can't use the jets. It is normal to find some little bits of metal in the oil. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Did you change the oil filter? The old Yamaha's had a screen under the drain plug and a cartrige filter on the opposite side uder a cap held on by 3 allen bolts. As far as the brakes go, disconnect the cable from the hub and see what moves and what doesn't. If the lever on the hub is frozen up, you will have to pull the wheel and clean it all up good. It is also possible that the brake pads have fallen apart.
Again, Good Luck
Steve

Boomtown
09-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Didn't change the filter's, washed it off real good though... Well, ill get that kit and put all but the jets in it. Thanks guys :D ill probably be back soon lol

Boomtown
09-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Ok, I'm pretty sure i need new ring's, still getting a lot of blowby (this time its clear gas) and i was wondering what all i have to remove to get to the piston. If someone could help me out(step by step instructions if possible) that would be great! Also, where can i get ring's other than ebay? Anyone got some laying around i could buy?

Also its idling very high, some tips on adjusting the carb and how to adjust it would be great also!

Tri-Z Pilot
09-29-2008, 07:01 PM
your motor could be smoking due to bad valve seal too. i recommend gettin a shop manual for your specific model, it's worth its weight in gold, and you'll learn a lot too.

schuhboy
09-30-2008, 01:35 AM
I'm havin' a tough time tring to figure out how worn rings are causing gas to leak out anywhere. I have seen some real bad motors that never pushed raw fuel out of the exhaust. Gotta' believe the fuel issue is related to the carb...not saying the motor may not have issues causing it to smoke. Maybe check the valve adjustment. This could cause some headaches also. The intake valve could be hung open alittle, this would cause blow back (fuel coming back towards the airbox.)
As far as the idle issue....big screw with a spring on it holds the throttle open....turn it right = higher idle, turn it left = lower idle. There is also a fuel screw on the bottom of the carb (can be found just below where it bolts onto the intake). Set this screw 2 turns out from LIGHTLY seated and try that. make 1/4 turn adjustments either way and see if it runs better. As you adj. the fuel screw, you may also have to keep tuning the idle speed.