PDA

View Full Version : '85 250R quit on me

Sroufe7
09-22-2008, 12:12 AM
I have been having a problem the last couple of times I rode my 250R.

I was out in the cold with my roommate looking for his dog (back in like Feb.) and 250R ran fine one day, I put like 10-15 miles on it.

The next day I went out at night and it ran for about 5 mins and it died. I got it restarted and it died on me again. Only way I could get it started was to keep the choke on and I headed back for the house and it would die and restart a couple of times and then I couldn't get it restarted after that.

I never tried anything for awhile to get it started after I parked it. Then a few months later, I tried to get it running and the float was stuck up. I fixed that and it ran fine the 3-4 times I road it after that.

And today, it died while I was riding it and it has no spark.

I have the factory manual and I ohm'd out the coil and it was within spec, same with the a/c regulator. The CDI box ohms out with totally different reading as what the manual says.

I know ohm'ing thing out isn't a guaranty that they are good or not, but have you guys noticed good CDI box's ohm'ing out different than what the manual says?

I just hope it's not the stator, since that seems like it's pretty common to go out.

What are you guy's thoughts?

Thanks
Scott

Taiser
09-22-2008, 08:48 AM
What are you using to Ohm the cdi?? From what I remember it's a specific ohmeter they (the honda manual) want you to use or it will have off readings. Stator should be ok if it's in the ohm meter tolerances. You can also test it by putting a volt meter on the main lead and grounding the other one, crank her over (take the spark plug out makes it a LOT easier) and see if you get a voltage reading.

Sroufe7
09-22-2008, 05:59 PM
What are you using to Ohm the cdi?? From what I remember it's a specific ohmeter they (the honda manual) want you to use or it will have off readings. Stator should be ok if it's in the ohm meter tolerances. You can also test it by putting a volt meter on the main lead and grounding the other one, crank her over (take the spark plug out makes it a LOT easier) and see if you get a voltage reading.

I am using a regular ohm meter. It does say to use a honda part number XXX...but I have yet to see a difference between one ohm meter to the next. :wondering

I have not done any testing on the stator. Do you know what it should read for ohms or voltage?

Thanks
Scott

Sroufe7
09-22-2008, 09:54 PM
I have 122.5 ohms on the 2 stator wires.

Also, with the meter plugged into the two stator wires (with the wires disconnected from the harness), I am getting a/c voltage once I kick the machine over.

Andrew_250R
09-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Did you try a new spark plug yet? I have seen brand new ones not spark before.

Sroufe7
09-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Did you try a new spark plug yet? I have seen brand new ones not spark before.

Yes I have. It only has about 1-2 hours on the one thats in it. But I have 3 new ones for just incase. :beer

Taiser
09-23-2008, 08:15 AM
I have 122.5 ohms on the 2 stator wires.

Also, with the meter plugged into the two stator wires (with the wires disconnected from the harness), I am getting a/c voltage once I kick the machine over.

Your within tolerances..think the manual wants 50 to 250 ohms but I may be off a bit. I just went throught that with mine, got a wiring harness, cdi, rectifier and coil off of e-bay for 50 bucks, changed everything and she runs like new. I'm 99% sure it was the cdi...those things can be hinky and a PITA to diagnose! When in doubt, change it...seen cdi's on the bay for 10 bucks or less...worth the price just to eliminate it as a problem...or swap out with a buddy if you can just to test it. Oh and andrew is right, do change the plug, my last one only sparked when if felt like it, and it was brand new :confused: don't know what's up with that, NGK must be outsourcing to china is my only guess? :mad:

SYKO
09-23-2008, 08:47 AM
YEA I had a simmilar problem when I redid my 85, it ran before I redide the whole trike then once put back together....nada... thanx to a member here I replaced EVERYTHING on my trike stator/wiring harness/coil/cdi and it ran ever since then.

Sroufe7
09-23-2008, 07:15 PM
I picked up a CDI box last night for less than $10.

I'll give it a shot once it gets here.

I appreciate the input from you guys.

Taiser
09-23-2008, 07:52 PM
This forum has saved my ass (from me shooting myself trying to figure things out) a few times too! Good luck :D

Sroufe7
10-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Forgot to let you guys know that the CDI box took care of the problem.

Thanks for the help and info.

Scott

Taiser
10-09-2008, 08:06 AM
I knew it! :D