PDA

View Full Version : another three wheeler

snowwolf
09-21-2008, 12:11 AM
I just got another 125 its not in good shap had water in the top end got it out and cleaned it out at work put oil in it and turns nice now but cant get rings to free up needs a lot of tlc how do you guys fill about the water in the top end and the guy i got it off of has a 1981 honda 185s will not shift what could the problem be ? and how hard is it to fix thanks

hondagrant
09-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Depends how long the water was in the engine.
If it still turns over it will probably be ok.
If the 185 is cheap enough grab it and strip it down might be something simple.

Taiser
09-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Depends. Load up the top with penetrating oil and let it sit for a day or two, see if that breaks it loose. Regardless at the minimum you will need to have it honed. Rings stuck in the cylinder usually makes a mess.

beets442
09-21-2008, 10:58 PM
As long as the cam and lobe are O.K. Clean it up(rebuild) and new seals. (185) Could be a bent shifting fork. Easy fix, Lots of pics when taking apart. Make sure yur shims between gears are replaced right or it'll kick out of gear(too much shim)or not engage (not enuf). Lube shifting shaft well and go thru shift pattern before assemble. Beets

Erics350x
09-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Pull the head and tap around the rings with a block of wood to free em up. Then take them off and clean the rings and grooves, give the cylinder a light hone and you should be good.

oscarmayer
09-22-2008, 08:49 AM
the problem is, rust could have developed and pitted the crap outta the top end and the jug could have bad rust and pits on it. definatly, going to have to do a top end rebuild. Bottom coudl be fine. here's what I would do. remove the top end and get all machining work done to get it running like new (valve job, new pisotn and jug bored/hones to match), while your waiting for this, I would fill the crank case up with oil completley and slitly turn the crank by hand over fore a while, and shift between lo/hi gearing too. disconnect the chain and try to see if you can go through the gears turning it by hand. this will ensure the bottom gets all the parts lubed correctly.

next pull both pligs on the bottom and drain the oil. leave the plugs off and take about 2 quarts of oil and pour it in to flush the old particals. this ensures no gook or contaminates remain in the bottom end. if you do this, you have a better chance of ensuring you have a good running bottom end when the top is completed.

snowwolf
09-23-2008, 09:22 PM
I have the moter out and everything is turning good jug does need hone or bored if i get this done can i use the same piston or do i have to get a new one?and what siz do i get or is it the rings ?