PDA

View Full Version : Who checks their top end oil flow? how often? you should!!

roger86200x
09-19-2008, 11:41 AM
I rebuilt my 86 200x and was worried about oil in the top end... since my other one blew up.

I checked the oil and found NONE in the top end!

My problem was oil pump gear related....the clip came off the sprocket shaft and the sprocket moved off the notch and turned without turning the shaft!! Talk about DISASTER waiting to happen!

QUESTION:

Does anyone actually check the oil in the top end? How often?

How would you know if you didnt have oil flow otherwise?

I will now check the oil flow OFTEN before I ride... its ONE 8mm bolt you pull out or loosen up to check it...so there is no excuse for a motor blowing up because of an oil pump or no flow to the top... lol

I will atleast pull that bolt every other time I ride....after what happened to my other motor. I DO NOT want to rip into this motor again.

Roger

hrc200x
09-19-2008, 12:42 PM
I did check it on my 350x after a complete engine tear down. Took out the top bolt for the external oil line to the head cap, alot of oil comes out in a short time. I guess one easy way to check if its working (on a 350x) is check to see if the oil cooler is hot. Too bad there isn't some sort of clear tube that oil flowed through, or pressure gauge/light.

83ATC185S
09-19-2008, 01:57 PM
i know my top end is flowing, I have oil leaking out of the head,Not that much though.:lol: :eek:

Ill check it after my oil change today though thanks for the reminder :D

roger86200x
09-19-2008, 02:48 PM
lol...you'll be happy you did.

Erics350x
09-19-2008, 03:48 PM
removing a rocker cap is also a good way to check, while you are there adjust the rockers.

fabiodriven
09-19-2008, 09:57 PM
I'd just install a gauge.:rolleyes:

Erics350x
09-19-2008, 10:52 PM
I'd just install a gauge.:rolleyes:

Where would you install a gauge on a old trike without an oil cooler That would make it so much easier than removing a single bolt or plug during routine maintenance?

fabiodriven
09-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Where there's a will, there's a way. If it has oil passages (which it does) it can be done.

I for one think it would be much easier to glance at a gauge than to pull a bolt out every now and then and hope everything is up to snuff in between.

roger86200x
09-20-2008, 08:53 AM
Actually, thats a good idea.... a gauge would be simple to do...

On my 86200x there arent any rocker caps like the 83-85....

The 86 has 1 bolt at the top of the motor...if you pull that out and screw in your gauge or fittings and attatch some line and run the gauge up you'd have instant oil gauge...but id rather have it right down on the motor...no lines to bust, etc...

or get some kinds of oil pressure sensor and digital gauge.... im sure that they are out there...

Im gonna look into this though....pulling the bolt is easy...but glancing at the gauge EVERYTIME you ride is alot easier and alot safer!

Roger

fabiodriven
09-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Actually, thats a good idea.... a gauge would be simple to do...

On my 86200x there arent any rocker caps like the 83-85....

The 86 has 1 bolt at the top of the motor...if you pull that out and screw in your gauge or fittings and attatch some line and run the gauge up you'd have instant oil gauge...but id rather have it right down on the motor...no lines to bust, etc...

or get some kinds of oil pressure sensor and digital gauge.... im sure that they are out there...

Im gonna look into this though....pulling the bolt is easy...but glancing at the gauge EVERYTIME you ride is alot easier and alot safer!

Roger

Ta-daaaaa!:D

Erics350x
09-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Thats no help for the older trikes

Dirtcrasher
09-20-2008, 01:51 PM
If there were a place you could install it safely it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Realistically any part can fail at anytime in our beloved trikes. You can add "check top end oil pressure" to check differential oil, check fork oil, check water level and other routine maintenance that most people don't do.

The simplest of things to do is just use your hearing. Every part that fails usually gives us a audible warning.

You can start your motor, check that screw, drive 500 feet and have have the oil pump quit. And hopefully you'd be able to hear it....

roger86200x
09-21-2008, 12:09 AM
lol..... but fork oil wont cost hundreds upon hundreds of damages, lol.....

Mr. Negativity....

anyways, if I come up with anything Ill be sure to post pics....

Im thinking that any type of pressure gauge will do.....

Roger