PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up a 200x... need to fix smoking top end

rdlsz24
09-16-2008, 09:59 PM
So last Saturday I got a 200x, which is the trike I have wanted since I got into trikes. It runs but smokes like a locomotive. The guy I bought it from said he put new valve seals in it and when he fired it up and it still smoked, he was done with it and I bought it for $300. I figure new rings and a hone are in the future, but could the piston also be toast? If it doesn't have any major score marks do I assume it's ok? I haven't had a chance to open it up yet. I'm really hoping I don't have to bore at all. Also, do valve guides normally go bad in these heads? I want to do it right so I can ride it, but at the same time I don't want to go crazy and stick a bunch of money into it.

Rob

The Goat
09-16-2008, 11:27 PM
valve guides shouldn't be bad unless something went horrible wrong. it's a tolerance of .003 or something if memory serves me right.

being that it's a honda, it'd prolly be fine all the way to the .05 range...lol

Vealmonkey
09-17-2008, 06:05 AM
I know there is a seller on ebay that will sell you a piston with new rings and all the gaskets you need. You just have to send him your current cylinder in exchange or pay extra for the core. You may want to think about this as it is generally a pretty good deal. I understand you may not want to bore and a new piston, but, 4 strokes are different than 2 strokes and bore size and straightness is usually more critical. If you want to have the trike a decent amount of time and have it run in a decent way then you should really look into fixing it right.

Erics350x
09-17-2008, 08:17 AM
I wouldn't waste my time or money opening up a 20+ year old machine and just put rings in it. Get a over-sized piston and rings, have it bored, and throw in some new gaskets.

rdlsz24
09-17-2008, 09:44 AM
I know there is a seller on ebay that will sell you a piston with new rings and all the gaskets you need. You just have to send him your current cylinder in exchange or pay extra for the core.

I saw the guy where you send him your head to be rebuilt, but I haven't see one for cylinder/piston. Have a link?

I wouldn't waste my time or money opening up a 20+ year old machine and just put rings in it. Get a over-sized piston and rings, have it bored, and throw in some new gaskets.

How much oversized? And about how much should it run me for the bore? How much jetting change is needed when doing this?

Rob

drhatc200
09-17-2008, 04:04 PM
ive got a 85 200x honda shop here charged me 60 to bore and hone it got my piston and rings from local shop $78 for a 10.5 20 over weisco my cylinder was wor.007 he told me going .010 wouldnt be alot so he said go .020 runs great now.

rdlsz24
09-17-2008, 04:13 PM
ive got a 85 200x honda shop here charged me 60 to bore and hone it got my piston and rings from local shop $78 for a 10.5 20 over weisco my cylinder was wor.007 he told me going .010 wouldnt be alot so he said go .020 runs great now.

How much did you have to change your jetting?

Rob

Blown 331
09-17-2008, 04:16 PM
How much did you have to change your jetting?

Rob

You wont have to chage jetting.

rdlsz24
09-17-2008, 04:30 PM
That would be nice if I didn't have to rejet. I guess I will check out the head to see if the valves and seals are good and then plan on getting a bore and oversized piston. I might see what the machine shop near my work will charge. I had him do some work on my Toyota truck head. Is 10.5 the stock compression?

Rob

roger86200x
09-19-2008, 11:31 AM
My 86 200x's first head (im on the third now!) had an exhaust stud broke off in it and I had it drilled out... guy drileld too far and went into the head... oil poured into the exhaust... omg was it BAD.

second head: oil pump dies and the intake valve seizes in the down postition.... piston hits the valve and boom... breaks the head all to hell.

Third head: different motor completely... assembled it and the oil pump has a brken clip on the sprocet...pumps no oil but I checked it and got a new oil pump before running it hard at all. I noticed a small tick and opened the port to check oil to the top and got nothing... I knew it was a PITA but took it apart and got a new pump.

I would say if you are going to actually pull the head OFF the bike... get a new piston and bore the cylinder out... go .020 inch (.5mm??) over too not .010 - this helps power a bit too. ALSO make SURE you get a Wiseco 10.25:1 Compression piston! DONT get a 12:1 piston or you must run race gas and its harder to kick AND it wont last as long.

DONT get a stock piston or a prox oem type. The Wiseco 10.25:1 .020 over piston is the way you want to go!!

The bike runs with SOOO much more power than it had before.

Does your bike have alot of power still and smoke alot or is it a dog and smoke??

rdlsz24
10-01-2008, 10:06 AM
So I had some time this morning to open her up.

Head looks good:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/rdlsz24/ATC200x/head1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/rdlsz24/ATC200x/head2.jpg

By the way, what is the slot on the intake valve on the pic above? Never seen that before.

Cylinder looks decent:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/rdlsz24/ATC200x/cylinder-1.jpg

Piston...... is toast!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/rdlsz24/ATC200x/JunkPiston.jpg

I thought it seemed funny when I drained the oil and there were little aluminum chunks caught in the screen. It shifted fine when I rode it and didn't make any funny bottom end noises. Should I assume the transmission is ok even though it has had chunks of piston go through it?

I'm dropping off the cylinder today to get it bored and honed and a local engine shop.

Rob

HONDA200MC
10-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Make Sure To Get A New Oil Pump When You Decide To Rebuild It<< Its Worth It..
And Dont Forget The O Ring At The Back Head Stud> It Gives You Oil Pressure To The The Top>>

350xrider911
10-01-2008, 01:57 PM
the pistons fine,just put new rings on it and your good to go. lol j/k what the sounds like the guy you bought it from didnt know what he was doing. if it smoke on start up and stops when it get warm thats the valve guide seals. but if it still smoke rings.

rdlsz24
10-01-2008, 04:38 PM
He put new valve seals in it but didn't pull the cylinder so he didn't know the piston was toast. He had just bought it as well. He said when he put it all back together and it still smoked he was done with it. Should I just flush the bottom end with oil?

Rob

Tri-Z Pilot
10-01-2008, 11:02 PM
you never want to bore any more than you have to. you get more life out of a cylinder by goin .10 at a time, .05 in some cases, depends on piston availability. you not going to notice anything great power wise just by over boring unless you get into big bore kits.