PDA

View Full Version : '85 BR clutch job.. is just the fiber discs good enough?

RideRedFan
09-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Going to have a local shop do a clutch for me in my '85 Big Red... slips in 3, 4, 5 when accelerating hard. They said to save money, I could order the parts and they would just charge labor. I got new springs and 5 new fiber discs... now I'm worried that I should have ordered the metal discs too... any of you that have done BR or 250SX clutch jobs... should I have ordered the metal discs too? I know it's a tough questions without measuring them to see if they are within spec, but I'm sure some of you have done enough to give me some guidance here. Thanks guys! Jeff in Ohio

SWIGIN
09-17-2008, 12:21 AM
as long as they arnt warped/discolored you'll be fine....thickness means nothing on the steel plates.

RideRedFan
09-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks Swigin... I knew someone would have a good idea. I feel better about it now. Take care, Jeff

Dirtcrasher
09-17-2008, 06:48 PM
I change them but just because thats the way I know everything is perfect and I won't open that cover up again for years. I also replace the gasket, remove any case or cover imperfections and change the kickstarter seal too...

But, I'll 2nd the notion on a blue or overheated type discoloration or whether they are warped as being the true indicator of SCRAPPIN them :D