PDA

View Full Version : 86 200x motor rebuild done. Check top end oil?

roger86200x
09-14-2008, 01:31 AM
Hey,

I got my 86 200x motor rebuilt and its running great with no smoke at all.

I litterlly JUST got off it... I spent 11-12 hours out in the barn today workin on the rebuild and puttin the bike back together.... had problem after problem.

I was SUPPOSED to put my 84 250r together but the mother****** sent me the wrong crank bearings! :mad: :cry:

HERES MY QUESTION:

The motor is running perfect, but I want to know HOW do I check to make sure the top end is getting oil properly? I want to make sure its ok...

Ive got little tick in the motor.... but its NEW, and it always had a little tick.... but now im nervous after the previous motor blew up for no reason (dropped a valve, nd I hadnt even worked on the motor...did a paint job lol).

I really would feel better if I could check it somehow...

Roger

dirtface
09-14-2008, 04:23 AM
I am pretty sure there is a 6mm bolt ( uses a 10mm wrench) on the right side of that motor with a copper washer under it. If you loosen it oil should flow out. That tells you if you have oil to the top or not. It will need to be running when you check.

Nick_R_23
09-14-2008, 04:57 AM
Im pretty sure its safe to say that all these honda engines make a ticking noise, no matter how new they are. You should be able to take the valve cover caps off the top of the engine, and if everything on top has a coat of oil on it, then you're getting oil to the top.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

dirtface
09-14-2008, 07:23 AM
These motors don't have valve caps like the earlier 200x's do.

Dirtcrasher
09-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Im pretty sure its safe to say that all these honda engines make a ticking noise, no matter how new they are. You should be able to take the valve cover caps off the top of the engine, and if everything on top has a coat of oil on it, then you're getting oil to the top.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

I've had 85's that I couldn't find or get rid of a small tick but thats mostly due to the cam chain assembly on those motors. But my older 86 and new 86 motor are both near silent.

There is a 6mm bolt on the top right of the head and if you crack it while running, oil should come out. But how do you know it's the right amount of oil?? It's too bad the service manual doesn't spec 10lbs of oil at 2000RPM's or something...

Did you replace the cam chain and both tensioners? There are also 2 small orings in the valve cover that need to be in there, I think they feed oil to the rockers and shafts.

It shouldn't tick unless something is out of spec or worn. I put a new OEM oil pump in mine when I recently rebuilt it just to be on the safe side. There are to oil orifices, one in the clutch cover and one in the center case. They have to be in place for the right amount of oil to be distributed through the rest of the motor.

roger86200x
09-14-2008, 04:27 PM
so... I pulled that oil plug at the top of the motor.... and got NOTHING!!!

I did feel air coming out of the hole though, I put my air compressor hose up to it and blew it out.... maybe its clogged? nope...

Ive got no oil to the top of the motor!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!

I checked all the passage ways, etc.... before I built the motor.... now what?

Oil pump? How can I tell if the oil is pumping at all?

Im at a loss here....where do I go from here?

Roger

kilabeez0
09-14-2008, 04:41 PM
buy a new oil pump and tear it down again. it's not what you want to hear but it's what i would do at this point. actually i would pull the head and see if it looked like it was getting oil to make sure. but i'd already be ordering a new pump.

roger86200x
09-14-2008, 05:03 PM
yah... but when its not the pump... then what lol...

can I check the pump anyway without dropping the motor?

Roger

kilabeez0
09-14-2008, 05:16 PM
when it's not the pump, you've eliminated that as being the cause. but as of right now it sounds like it's definitely the pump. if you checked the oil passages and they are all clear it must be the pump. that would explain why you smoked the other motor as well.

roger86200x
09-14-2008, 09:17 PM
lol...

actually this is a completely different motor all together..... thats whats weird.

I guess I'll get a pump for good measure... but I want to check the flow elsewhere to make sure somehow....

I think im gonna try to pull the very top piece off and see if I get oil squirting there...will the oil pump with me kicking it over or does it have to be running?

Roger

roger86200x
09-19-2008, 11:36 AM
EUREKA!! I feel liek George W in texas watching a new oil well spurt!

I have oil in the top end now! YAY!

kilabeez0 thanx for the advice!

BUT, you were PARTLY right lol. It WAS the pump, but the pump wasnt BAD. The clip that holds the sprocket on was gone and the gear just turned on the shaft! lol so it didnt pump oil...

the old pump had slop and was full of crap so it was on its way out anyways.

Im glad I did what you advised and got the damn pump. I got a like new one on ebay for $50 shipped.

Roger