PDA

View Full Version : atc 70 crank beat up!!! re thread????

CRAZY70MAN
09-10-2008, 08:47 PM
can anyone tell me if you have ever or ever heard of re threading a crank end to bolt on flywheel? Some *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**E dited* flatened it with a hammer but it is a good motor otherwise. Filed it, seems to be soft enough or is it too hard of a steel? Any help appreciated. Sorry, post happy tonight, crunched for time with work, need to get it all out. on3eatin'4.......... will pull atc70 wheelies for food?????? later

200x newby
09-10-2008, 08:52 PM
can you just cut off the bad threads?

blue27
09-10-2008, 08:57 PM
yes you should be able to rethread or clean up the threads with a thread file or you can use a hacksaw blade and clean up the deep parts of the thread. There is not enough to cut off the bad part but if you are carfull you can get it to work. Good Luck

bobbyjim ll
09-11-2008, 07:55 AM
I have a ATC70 Crank in great condition if needed just PM or email me.
I also have a factory original Honda '73-'84 Honda ATC70 Service Manual for Sale if you need one for taking apart your engine.

81K30SRW
09-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Don't cut any part of the threads off. It will ruin the crank. I used a flat file to even the smashed thread up with the others. Then use thread file to start the new threads. Once you get them started run a die onto the crank be careful to start the die straight. Once done it will be as good as new. It happened to mine and I was using a flywheel puller I think the crank is just too small and soft. Goodluck

CRAZY70MAN
10-15-2008, 09:12 PM
tahnks, wish I would of tried before I took apart whole motor, oh boy what a mess. I will try that on the other spare I have though, thanks