PDA

View Full Version : 250sx general questions

SCRAMCHARGER318
09-10-2008, 08:41 AM
hey, i'm new to this site as a member but i been coming here for info for 4 years now. i sold my 1982 185s to buy my 86 250sx, i have already rebuilt the carb and i stepped up the main jet from a 130 to a 132.5, put a uni air filter on it,
trimmed the air box lid ( I cut most of the top out and put in a old screen from a door), i put a ricks hot shot cdi box on it, and a cobra exhuast which i will be taking back off ( it is isanely LOUD!!!), oh and i put synthetic oil in the engine and diff. i just bought a 200x front end and i'm going to be getting itp pro aluminum rear rim's and new rear tires. But what i want to know is are they're any more peformance things i can do? i just bought a 250es big red to part out for the engine( my stocker runs so good i cant tear it down). i've already got the webcams big cam and valve springs and i'm going to have crankworks stroke my crank. but still cannot find a high comp piston. wiesco does not make them anymore to my knowledge and i called. poweroll does not make anything but a cam anymore and i called. so i would like to know if ANYONE knows where i can find a high comp piston, also does anyone run a works shock on a sx? how does it fair on the trails over stock? and my last question i'd like to run a 350x headlight on my 200x front end can you make the 350x headlight guard work on a 200x front end?

Dirtcrasher
09-10-2008, 05:54 PM
You sound like me about 4 years ago.....:lol: I loved the SX, and still do. But unfortunately, the SX is limited.... You can buy a >300$ updated shock but it still won't allow you to jump without one of the 5 mounting points of the swingarm and axle shaft housings from bending. I bent parts, broke parts and finally smartened up going to a 200X and then onto a 350X. Which of course they aren't cadillacs like the SX, but they do what there made for - fast agressive riding and jumping.....

I am running a 11:1 piston, Webcam, Supertrapp, Clarke tank, 86 350X carb, 200X front end, 350X headlight and no AB lid. It still tops out about 45MPH and I can't jump it without bending it up.

I only put about 3 hours on it per year now, I love it... but it's boring to me now.

userj8670
09-10-2008, 06:38 PM
I love my sx and would love another but i do agree with DC that they are limited. The top end is what really bothers me. If only they had a 6th gear. I am hunting for a 250r but if i 250sx came up i would buy another (got to have one for the old lady)

Jim

mapyang
09-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Heres my SX I put 25' tires on it and floor boards from a honda 4 wheeler, its great in the woods but needs more rear gearing. I will be putting a TRX rear swingarm and rear end in it son.:naughty:

mapyang
09-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Heres my SX I put 25' tires on it and floor boards from a honda 4 wheeler, its great in the woods but needs more rear gearing. I will be putting a TRX rear swingarm and rear end in it son.:naughty: I hope the picture comes up

userj8670
09-10-2008, 08:52 PM
nope...no pic lol.

SCRAMCHARGER318
09-11-2008, 08:17 AM
i do know it is limited and not to many people hop them up, but thats exactly why i want to hook this one up, i don't jump much anyway. my buddys got a 250es and another has a 660 raptor we just pretty much go out and cruise not much racing. it's just that making it fast is in my blood. my dad's probably got the fastest atc us90 on the planet( good thing my sx has 5th gear or i wouldn't catch him!) my plans are to hook this sx up with almost every mod i can think off and then i'm going to start puttin together a stock 85 sx i got 2 years ago and has been sitting because i had no engine for it, but in the distant future i plan on getting a 86-87 200x with the 6th gear.

chris200x
09-11-2008, 06:27 PM
See if this works Drew. :beer

http://photos.msn.com/Slideshow/Viewer.htm?locale=en-us&config=%2fSlideshow%2fConfig.aspx%3flocale%3den-us%26folder%3dnBuRgwTGIGhRUd54PaggTuompupk4uptLztj OFidYwQ%24&data=%2fSlideshow%2fData.aspx%3ffolder%3dnBuRgwTGI GhRUd54PaggTuompupk4uptLztjOFidYwQ%24%26index%3d0

Tri-Z Pilot
09-11-2008, 06:59 PM
there use to be a 300 kit for them that supposedly pumped them up pretty good, but they are probably non-existent now.

mapyang
09-11-2008, 09:30 PM
See if this works Drew. :beer

http://photos.msn.com/Slideshow/Viewer.htm?locale=en-us&config=%2fSlideshow%2fConfig.aspx%3flocale%3den-us%26folder%3dnBuRgwTGIGhRUd54PaggTuompupk4uptLztj OFidYwQ%24&data=%2fSlideshow%2fData.aspx%3ffolder%3dnBuRgwTGI GhRUd54PaggTuompupk4uptLztjOFidYwQ%24%26index%3d0

Thanks for posting them Chris the sx thats stock is Lil johns (my step son) The monster is mine As i said in my org. post it has 25' tires the front rim has a 1 1/8 in wheel spacer added to it because I could not find a rim with the right offset. I removed the wheel studs and replaced them with long bolts. I rode it through 26 miles of rough terrian at 30 mph with no problems. The rim is a 12' ITP with a 4 in 3 out offset thats as close as I could get If it was 3+4 it would have been almost perfect. My dad and I machined the Wheel spacers on his 10" Lathe ( thanks Dad).
The rear rims /tires are 25x11x10 and I use 1 1/2 Highlifter wheel spacers so no clearence problems.
The floorboards are aftermarket Honda 350 4 wheeler that I got off ebay for cheap, I fabed all the mounts & it works great. I do have to use a heel/toe shifter now but thats no problem.
Like I said in my org. post the SX needs more gearing So like Namebrand did I bought a complete 1987 TRX 250 honda rear end and swingarm. This should give me the gearing that I need, plus 3' long swingarm.:naughty:
When I get it all together I will post pictures .
Drew

Name Brand
09-14-2008, 01:57 AM
So like Namebrand did...

Sweet. I'm getting famous. :cool:

Be sure to post pics of how you mount the bottom of your rear shock when you swap to the TRX swinger.

mapyang
09-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the insperation Namebrand, when I get it all together I will post some pictures. I can't wait to put the TRX swingarm on, man the SX needs the lower gearing.
Thanks Drew