PDA

View Full Version : What size paddle tires do you run?

Andrew_250R
09-08-2008, 04:44 PM
I just bought a set of paddle tires from the local honda dealer today. They are brand new 20x11x10R ITP sand stars mounted on powdercoated black 4 spoke ITP rims which are also brand new. I picked them for $190 which I thought was a fair price, what do you think? Anyways I was wondering what size paddle tires most of you run. I bolted the sand stars to my three wheeler today and they look smaller than most of the paddle tires in the pics I have seen.

boosted96cobra
09-08-2008, 05:42 PM
IMO that is alot of rim for paddles. I prefer 8 inch. But that is the best size I think, but I have an air cooled r. I have 22 on mine and they are too big, I have run 20's and 18's, the 18's were the funnest, couldn't climb at all but bowls and stuff were amazing, just stay in it and turn.

I'd say you got the best size you could get. I just hope that isn't too much rims and not enough tire.

Andrew_250R
09-08-2008, 05:47 PM
I thought it was alot of rim also but I figured for the price I could't not take them. I have 20x11x9R ITP holeshots on my stock rims and love those. I guess I will just have to try them and go from there. What would be the biggest difference between riding on 20x11x10 compared to 22x11x9?

AJZ_200X
09-08-2008, 09:15 PM
im out in MI and ride the sand dunes quite a bit. Im running 8 paddle extreme haulers and douglas rims on my 350x/250r and they have been a dream this season. Have nothing but good things to say about this setup. I have tried many different tire/rim combos in the past - nothing near what i have now.

Andrew_250R
09-08-2008, 09:45 PM
I didn't really want an all out sand tire because where I live there isn't any dunes. I plan to use these when a bunch of us head out to St Anthony ID and when I ride on gravel piles (if they work for it)

250rJAMIE
09-09-2008, 07:07 AM
I had Itp sand stars on my 85R for the dunes and my bike handled and went like *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*,they really sucked the power out of top end and turn like *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*,they go like holly hell on a quad but not so good on a trike they might work ok once they wear down a bit,The best paddle tyre I have used so far is the kenda gecko and the sand trekker they handled excellent and went up every hill I pointed the trike at..

njeffery
09-10-2008, 11:30 PM
I took my 21x11x10 8 paddle Gecko's out for the first time last weekend with my Z and loved them. I'm going to go down a tooth in front because I want more bottom end but I was going to do that anyway. I beat my dad's banshee up a bowl. As far as I know you want bigger rims, less tire flex when cornering. I don't see to many people with 8in wheels with paddles around here in Oregon.

cr480r
09-11-2008, 02:12 AM
I had Itp sand stars on my 85R for the dunes and my bike handled and went like *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*,they really sucked the power out of top end and turn like *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*,they go like holly hell on a quad but not so good on a trike they might work ok once they wear down a bit.

I have never been impressed by sand stars... IMO they dont turn well enough to offset what they give up in traction.. I have always felt that they dont pull well out of the hole, and they never seem to "float" at speed...

I don't see to many people with 8in wheels with paddles around here in Oregon.

i actually see alot of them..

njeffery
09-11-2008, 11:36 PM
"i actually see alot of them.."

I see alot of boys and girls with them, little bikes, little power.:naughty:

1984kxtTECATE
09-11-2008, 11:58 PM
20x11x10's 9 paddle haulers great all around setup. Turning is not a issue nor is sliding, you dont lose near the power with haulers compared to gecko's and sandstars.

Ive ran gecko's, they turn great....thats about it, they are heavy and suck power right out of a bike, they dont hook-up for crap. So basically you will heat up your motor faster wich equates to more engine wear. More load agiasnt the engine and more tire spin.

Never ran sand stars on a trike.

AS far as 8" wheels, I see them all the time at the dunes. They hook-up better than a 10" wheel with 22" tires assuming both bikes are running 22" haulers. You get more side wall flex and conform to the sand better than a 10" wheel and 20 or 22" tire. Thats why you see the 80 horse banshees running a 8" wheel.

njeffery
09-12-2008, 01:27 AM
Ok I'm taking alot of sh*t for the 8" wheel thing. I'll I know is the 17 people I ride with run 10" wheels, the bikes range from my 250cc to a 700cc raptor. So drink a beer and relax.:beer

cr480r
09-12-2008, 03:02 AM
I see alot of boys and girls with them, little bikes, little power.:naughty:

I notice all the guys that drag and hit the serious climbs run them...

Ok I'm taking alot of sh*t for the 8" wheel thing. I'll I know is the 17 people I ride with run 10" wheels, the bikes range from my 250cc to a 700cc raptor. So drink a beer and relax.:beer

The main advantage to a 10" wheel setup is weight savings and sliding... but 8" wheels are less likely to be damaged by roots..

Andrew_250R
09-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Well I hope I didn't make a serious mistake by buying these. I was reading some reviews on them before I bought them and they were well rated. Also I have never ran paddle tires so I will have nothing to compare them to. So I hope they work out for me.

1984kxtTECATE
09-13-2008, 01:32 AM
Well I hope I didn't make a serious mistake by buying these. I was reading some reviews on them before I bought them and they were well rated. Also I have never ran paddle tires so I will have nothing to compare them to. So I hope they work out for me.

I wouldnt even sweat it, you say your not a full blown dune nut. Sandstars are good sand tires, one of the best v-paddles out there. If you only go a couple times a year they will suit you well. Ive ridden them on a 660 raptor, and a banshee they did fine, not great at any one thing but good at most. Enjoy your purchase and run them. You cant find out what you like most with out trial and error.

17 people out of how many of thousands, all it comes down to is rider preference. Nobody is right nor wrong, it is what you like best.