PDA

View Full Version : What problem with a Honda 200s and how much should i spend on one.

86trizinger
09-06-2008, 11:07 PM
I was thinking about getting one.. What kind of problems does a 1985 Honda 200s have? ALso how much should I pay for one in Ok shape and that runs pretty good.

Thanks

Taiser
09-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Those things are tanks. No rear suspension so it's a bit rough. Engines are solid and bullet proof. Problems I've had is the front shocks conking out, chain tensionner problems and brakes are sometimes worn out fast and brake cables seize up, but that's driving through major swamp in my case. Other than that the one's I've had are unstoppable, never had one quit on me or leave me stranded.

Prices vary, I've seen mint condition ones go for 1000+ here, but sometimes even a running one will go for 100 bucks. I haven't seen any for sale around here for years though. Prices are so different everywhere. I'd pay 600 bucks for one in really good shape...but that's me! :D

dickieg89
09-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I've had a 84 200s for about 7 years now. Mine doesn't like to start in the cold, once it gets running it's fine. I've rebuilt the carb, thats about it, i also run 93 octance in my trikes without the 10% ethanol in the gas.

A decent runner for 400-500, but i've seen the pristine ones for 800-1000 on evilbay.

Vealmonkey
09-07-2008, 12:36 PM
The weak points really depend on how the previous owners treated the trike. If they trashed it with no maintenance, than you will have your hands full fixing all the previous owners mistakes. Parts are realtively cheap and plentiful except for the pull starters. Decent used cable pullstarters can run you some money. Most parts are readily available new and used. The can be hot-rodded to a certain degree. They will fit a 200x cam and carb and exhaust which really wakes them up. The engine will bolt into a 200x frame or you could find a suspension kit for it!!! The front suspension isn't the best, but way better than none at all. Be careful jumping or riding at high speeds cause the hardtail can get a nasty bounce going and then its' wipeout city! With slight mods, you can get them going faster than they are safe to go really. Make sure your brakes work well cause sometimes you need to stop them quickly to avert disaster. They take a little getting used to, but they are fun. And a real nice way to learn to really work on a proper trike and can be cleaned up and made to look really nice. Good luck and have a blast.

Frankencelery
09-07-2008, 08:27 PM
I paid $375 for mine, in fairly good physical condition, but not running. I ended up spending about $250, replacing carb & throttle cable, headlight, brakes and wheel bearings. Maybe a little more than I wanted to spend overall, but doing that work made it mine. I use it mostly for utility use, since it has a trailer hitch, it's become the workhorse. Trail riding is wicked on your back, since it's a hardtail.

WaimakRydah
09-27-2008, 03:20 AM
The only problems I have had with mine was the carb (when I drowned it). At one stage I went through like 3 or 4 ropes in like 4 weeks but I think it was because only one shop knew how to properly reinstall the ropes. Also some problems with the chain but thats not the bikes fault. My frame needs a little bit of welding but I have taken it on a couple of rides since that happened and it handles it but I will get it sorted. Most of the time mine starts first pull and thats in the cold. I use mine for trails and its not too bad on your back I dont mind it. They go good in the mud and on wet/muddy lawns :naughty:

y2kane
09-27-2008, 07:50 AM
Love mine. Plastics are cracked up but hey I only spent 172.50 on mine from fleabay from a local seller. Starts on first or second pull and can pull wheelies easy in first and second gears. Alot of power in it. I need to replace my rear bearings in it other than that i have no complaints.