PDA

View Full Version : How the heck do I make this work - PIC!!

Dirtcrasher
06-20-2003, 08:40 AM
Just bought aluminum bars and the knurl isn't where the SX likes it. I have plenty of room to clamp more or I can shave them but there's no knurl to help keep them there. I thought about dremeling some slices perpendicular in the clamps themselves.

I jump this quite often so any suggestions??

Howdy
06-20-2003, 09:36 AM
I did a fix like this on a ATC90 years ago. I just took a piece of emery cloth 1 1/2 - 2 times as wide as the clamp. I then folded it over long ways and wrapped it around the handle bars. You want to cut it so there is 1/4 inch of space between the ends. Do this to both sides and then tighten them down good. I don't know how well it will work for jumping but it's worth a try.
Howdy

bbechtel16
06-20-2003, 09:40 AM
Yeah how are you supposed to buy bars that fit correctly? Where are they measuring to/from when the measure the center width? And what's the pull back measurement?

I guess you could make your own groove things. I'd just see how it works as is first though.

WI 350X
06-20-2003, 09:57 AM
If you look at other popular brands of Aluminum Handlebars like Renthal for example, they have no knurling at all on them. If you follow the manual on tightening the forward bolt and then the rear bolt on each clamp there should be plenty of pressure to keep the bars in place.

bentwrench
06-20-2003, 10:12 AM
Don't cut slots in the bars!! That will only remove material and won't help. The "lines" in the bars are a knurling or extruded process that raises the metal. Try the front to rear tightening and/or Howdy's shim trick.
Thats my imput! :)

Dirtcrasher
06-20-2003, 11:09 AM
I didn't say in the handlebar, but rather thought perpendicular slices in the clamp assm on the triple.

Thats what I was wondering - if all bars had to have knursl. But if Renthal doesn't have knurls I'll just try them first!

THANKS

200xStroker
06-21-2003, 05:54 PM
I wouldnt put ANY burrs on the bars OR the clamps.

The reason the non-knurled bars don't have the knurls is because they are a weak point and have broken on a landing and gave the operator a nice taste of the tripple tree.

A local shop here has one that was analyzed by the company to ward off a law suit. It turns out, a single burr existed on the clamps the guy used and it caused them to fail...