PDA

View Full Version : My NEW TOY JUST SEIZED!!!!!!!

kilabeez0
06-20-2003, 07:29 AM
Well, my almost new toy. I was going to drive down and purchase Afkete's 200x for $700 tomorrow. He just emailed me and said he went to kick it over, it started then came to a grinding halt!!! ENGINE SEIZED!!!! I can't believe it, I was soooooo psyched to be buying a trike with some sack. He obviously doesn't want to sell it in the condition it's in, but maybe I can convince him. Can someone please tell me what's involved in this kind of rebuild? and how much it will cost?

Howdy
06-20-2003, 07:55 AM
First to get a acurate cost and level of dificulty we would need to know 100% for sure the cause. I am willing to bet it's a seized cam shaft. I have seen that a lot.

Here is my input for cost and level of difficulty:
( The Estimated Cost is for doing most of the repair yourself ).

Cam went bad: $75 to $150+ ( cam, rockers, cam bearing, gaskets, possible head also ). Mild to hard to fix for first timers.

Piston seized: $100 to $175 ( gaskets, piston and rings, cylinder boring ). Fairly Hard fix for first timers.

Rod seized: $175 to $350 ( Rod kit, pressing charge, gaskets, possible bearings, rings, possible piston, ect ). CAUTION EXTREMELY Hard fix for first timers. It involves splitting the motor. 100's of parts to deal with.

I PM'd you with other info also.

I hope that helps.
Howdy

Dirtcrasher
06-20-2003, 08:35 AM
Sometimes your better off getting junk cheap! Why ?? Because look at this instance - you were ready to go and buy this thing that may have ran and sounded ok but a day later KERBLAMMO!! See ya later 500$ + for motor parts.

However if you can get it cheap (couple hundred bucks, he might bite after getting his price) and do the work - well - yourself ,you know exactly what condition it's in rather than not knowing when it'll blow up.
2 strokes are great for spontaneous explosions!!

kilabeez0
06-20-2003, 06:07 PM
it's a 4 stroke

slippy4
06-20-2003, 09:40 PM
or get the bike cheap and i seen engines on ebay go for fairly cheap. If it were me though id still redo the top end anyway.

PowerTrike
06-21-2003, 12:30 AM
My friend has a 200x and his rod siezed while he was mudding. Hopefully not your problem though. Anyway he just went crazy with it. He had the entire engine redone, bored over, stroked and the works. Would be a good time for any upgrades... He says he spend over $500!

ATC crazy
06-22-2003, 07:27 PM
My Btothers 372X snapped the wrist-pin while crusing down the trail. He got another motor real cheap and all the parts to fix the org. one. So he's good to go and he's got a back-up ;)