PDA

View Full Version : metel shavings in oil

nicker71
06-20-2003, 02:47 AM
I have just gotten my 85 350X a couple days ago and I got my first real drive my friend brought over his blaster, it has a reed spacer, racing reeds, and the engine was ported, I have close to a extra hundred pounds over him in weight and It was about a tie in a drag race. tonight I changed the oil, I dont know when the last time that it was changed since I just bought it. I noticed sum small metel shavings in the oil filter. the bike runs pretty good and it doesnt smoke. My question is could it be the clutch making the shavings or top or bottom end. about how much would it cost me to take it in to honda and have them rebuilt top and bottom. Or is this something I should just watch and see if it gets any worse I will change it again after about ten hours just to see how bad it is. LIke I said the motor is running good so should I not worry about it so much.
thank you ( what is the top speed of a stock 350X)
Nick
85 honda 350X
84 suzuki PE 175
80 suzuki DR 500

Dirtcrasher
06-20-2003, 11:19 AM
Rebuilt motors seem to have some shavings biut you shouldn't be finding too many in a well run in motor unless it's on it's way out. Could be top bottom or the clutch? But any way you slice a 350X motor top to bottom at a dealer is an easy 1000$ motor alone. Without fixing anything else.

Enjoy

samster143
06-20-2003, 04:17 PM
Is the metal aluminum/magnesium or something else? On my X the cam chain was loose and slapping the crankcase behind the fly wheel. This made metal bits in the oil. Installed a new cam chain and no more metal shavings!

NOS_350X
06-20-2003, 05:05 PM
also there are some brands of oil that have little silver things in it the guy i bought my yz125 had it some in it i have no idea what kind it is but i changed the oil can called him asking him about it and he said that its just the brand of oil he uses so thats a possibility there is real no way for your clutch plates to be puttin the shavings in it so i dont think thats it

nicker71
06-20-2003, 05:15 PM
Im not to sure what type of metal it was. The metal shavings were small and most of them were stuck in my oil filter. how could I check to see if my cam chain is loose. I think I going to put 5-10 hours on it and drain the oil and check the filter again and see how bad it is. I really hoping for the best but I think its going to get expensive. this might be a stupid question but does honda still sell all the parts that I would need if I had to rebuilt top and bottom end, and is there any other choices that I could choice from like after market companies. I would maybe like to put a bigbore kit on it I think I would like some more power but without hurting the reliability on it. one other question last week before I bought the 350X I looked at a 250R ATC and test drove it. I thought that it was to fast for me and the kind of driving I do ( mud, trail ridding) so I didnt by it. It was a 86 i think and I was all orignal except for the pipe. It had one small crack in the headlight plastic and he wanted $1250, but it was to fast for my needs. is that a good price or not, I kind of thought it was..
thanks for all feedback hope to have a pic of it soon
nick

Dirtcrasher
06-20-2003, 05:30 PM
An 86R for 1200$, yep thats actually cheap they can go 2 to 3 grand depending on condition. Again back to the motor rebuild it any way you want it'll cost 1000$, then the price of the trike and any other repairs. So you can be looking at a 2500$ 350X real quick.
I think alot of us when we stop and add up where we stand money wise we think wow thats a big hunk of change for a trike that was 1800$ new in 85. I guess it just depends how insanely much you love trikes. I know I do!!
Back in 1988 I had an 85 and 86 200X and couldn't even get 500 and 600$ for them, guess it was the ban that did it.

If that motor runs good, doesn't smoke or tick loud then you should be ok. Clutch baskets get grooves worn in them so I would say that metal can come from there but there are other places.

Get a manual and adjust the cam chain and valves for a start - it'll do ya good!!

Wickedfinger
06-20-2003, 06:59 PM
... all motors will get some metal shavings in the oil from time to time - its a normal thing. Unless you hear some really weird noises, don't worry about it.

nicker71
06-20-2003, 07:19 PM
thank you all for the knowledge I will go find a book and try to adjust the values and cam chain. Thanks Hopefully next time I change the oil I will not find any shavings.
thank again
nick

85 350X (still alive)
84 suzuki PE 175 (in acoma)
80? suzuki DR 500 (dead)
no 4 wheel golf carts

md1985250r
06-20-2003, 07:40 PM
you should get a magnetic drain plug....