PDA

View Full Version : Glisten PC (POR-15) Experts -- 350X Axle

350Kris
09-04-2008, 05:38 PM
I have a NOS axle for my project 350x. It had some shelf wear and marring on the areas that you'd see if it was mounted. Otherwise, the original anodization is intact (splines and carrier area). I sanded the long, straight exposed area with 600 grit until I removed all the "yellow". I'm not interested in polishing the axle smooth...I just want it to be clean and coated. I'm using Glisten PC to coat just the exposed areas. My question is do I need to do any more prep than sanding and then using a good quality degreaser and/or metal wash??? Do I need to use AP 120?

Thanks!

350Kris
09-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Anyone have experience with this stuff??

SYKO
09-04-2008, 08:04 PM
por 15 dosnt have any UV steadfast ness, it will chalk up in light and simply dust away.. find a local powdercoater, just an axle shouldnt cost you any more then what you would spend on paint.

350Kris
09-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Hmm....I'm using Glisten PC. The instructions say, "It won't crack, chip, peel or yellow and is very flexible, as well."

http://www.stoprust.net/POR-15-Glisten-PC-Gallon-p-73.html

300rman
09-04-2008, 09:05 PM
POR -15 is GREAT. IF you use it right.

it WILL NOT stick to smooth surfaces. it sticks to RUSTY, PITTED metal the best (loose stuff scraped away first)

and sanding the surface to make it rough DOESNT CUT IT. the stuff will peel off like a wrapper.

but if you put it on a rusty frame, or other rusty metal part out of the sunlight most of the time, it will be there FOREVER. we used it to cover bolt heads, and after taking the impact to the bolts, the coating is STILL THERE. it is like brush-on Powdercoat as far as scratch-resistance goes.

it chemically reacts with rust to make it extremely hard, and stick like no other.

DONT get it on YOUR SKIN (stays there for 2 weeks +)

dreadhed
09-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Be careful sanding that cadmium it's bad stuff for you....it can poison you. I am with Syko for the price of that stuff you could get it PCed. There is also cadmium paint out there. It is like a 2 or 3 step process but it's suppose to look like cadmium. IDK I never used it, just letting you know other options.

350Kris
09-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Has anyone specifically used the Glisten PC? It says it is specifically designed for use on polished surfaces. Also, how else would I prepare the axle other than sanding it? Thanks!