PDA

View Full Version : Just how big a hammer should I use?

Frankencelery
09-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Decided to take axle and differential apart on my NIN-playing 250SX. Found metal in the oil, so I'm going to take it all apart and replace what needs replacing. But I'm stuck right away on the first major thing! According to the book, you're supposed to take off the left axle bolt, and the axle will slide out to the right. I can't get that thing off to save my life!

I started with the impact wrench, and that did nothing. Now I have a c-clamp on the brake to hold the brakes on, and I'm jumping up and down on the 1/2" breaker bar with 26MM socket on it, and the thing won't budge! The brakes slip before the bolt gives it up. I've soaked in Liquid Wrench for days, that didn't do it. Then I tried heat and got it as hot as my mapp torch will get it, and still nothing! I'm tempted to go buy a bigger breaker bar and 6-pt impact socket. Anyone have any ideas? I remember reading that somebody actually had to cut the bolt off, but the way it's in the cup of the hub, I'd have to ruin the hub AND the axle!

Russell 350X
09-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Try actual torches, get it almost glowing, then spray it down with some PB Blaster or WD-40, liquid wrench, etc... I've done this method with several things, and it works well. Make sure there are no seals close by you could ruin with the torches, if there is, be gentle. Mabey try longer breaker bar, and a cheater pipe. Hope this helps.

Andrew_250R
09-04-2008, 04:17 PM
How long did you keep the impact on the nut? Sometimes it can take a while. If nothing else try hitting the breaker bar with a hammer instead of jumping on it. The hammering will usually break rusty nuts loose.

Dirtcrasher
09-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Yep, you may have to use oxy/acetylene and that may cook the outer bearing and seal but it's probably on it's way out anyhow....

Frankencelery
09-04-2008, 04:22 PM
I don't care about the outer bearing and seal. I'm going to replace those anyway. I don't have an acetylene torch, but maybe I could try leaving the mapp torch on longer. I've got a local welding guy who could probably help me, but that's $$. I'll let you guys know.

HuntingFor1
09-04-2008, 04:28 PM
You can try taking a big hammer like a shop hammer or a sledge hammer and holding it on a flat on one side of the nut and hitting it with a regular hammer on the opposite flat. sometimes this will jar them loose. You did take the cotter key out didn't you?

hublake
09-04-2008, 05:49 PM
I have had nuts that won't come loose that were very rusted and I have just turned up the line pressure on my impact wrench and they have come right off. Try up to 125psi .

Frankencelery
09-04-2008, 07:42 PM
HuntingFor1, the nut is recessed in a cup in the hub. Didn't you just do this? And yes, I did remove the cotter pin! :lol:

Hublake, I think my compressor only goes to about 110 these days, and my ancient Alltrade impact wrench has seen better days, but I don't have the budget right now for a new one. I just brought home a 5' piece of galvanized pipe to put on the end of my breaker bar. I'm sure to break something tonight! Probably the breaker bar...or my toes when the socket breaks!

I've also got to come up with some way of keeping the axle from turning. I have way more torque on the socket than I have ability to hold the axle from turning. I'm thinking about seeing if I can find a piece of angle iron and drilling two holes in it to go on the right side hub bolts, and then it will brace against the floor. Should work...right?

greythorn3
09-04-2008, 07:46 PM
that sounds like a excellent idea for bracing the axle.. that is the same way i brace pinions when im installing nuts on yokes on a truck axle..

Ray

HuntingFor1
09-04-2008, 09:14 PM
I just noticed one side is rtecessed and the other side isn't. I'd try the heat and cool method. Heat it as hot as you can with what torch you have and throw some ice water on it. But sounds like you got it figgured out with the angle iron idea. Let us know how it turns out.

Frankencelery
09-04-2008, 11:48 PM
I got it done! Found some angle iron on the scrap pile, drilled some holes in it and mounted to the hub, then braced it on the floor. Then I heated the bolt with my mapp torch until it actually did glow, and put the breaker bar on it with the toe-smashing 5-foot pipe, and gave it a push. The bolt came free! Check out the pics...