PDA

View Full Version : Removing a chain link

WaimakRydah
09-04-2008, 01:24 AM
My chain was too loose so dad took the chain to his place and used his grinder which he was supposed 2 grind a link off. Instead he ground off 2. Then attempted to put it back on but it was to tight. So then I told dad to buy a link to replace it with and he comes back with a master link (the chain already has one) So now I want to remove a link somewere else in the chain where I could put another master link. Any ideas of how I could remove a link without destroying a link in the process. The only way Ive heard of removing a link is by grinding it off which makes the link useless.

Andrew_250R
09-04-2008, 01:35 AM
What do you consider a link? Sounds like you wanted half a link removed. The do make half links. If he actually removed two links then I would just use two master links and one of the two links he removed. Make sense?

Andrew_250R
09-04-2008, 01:39 AM
Here is a pic that will make sure everyone is on the same page.

WaimakRydah
09-04-2008, 01:51 AM
I dont know how many he removed but its to tight he just told me he removed 2 links. If i had to bet I would say he probably removed just one link if you are counting them like that. Dad rekons you can get a tool that is specificly built for removing chain links. He has one for a push bike but it dont fit the motorbike I have rung around a couple of shops and I couldnt find anyone who sold one

Andrew_250R
09-04-2008, 01:58 AM
you don't need the special tool. We have one and a grinder and a punch works better. If the over all condition of the chain is bad I would just replace it. Otherwise how many links to short is the chain?

WaimakRydah
09-04-2008, 02:49 AM
I rekon one more link would be sufficient. I dont really want to buy a whole new chain.

Andrew_250R
09-04-2008, 02:52 AM
I guess I don't know what you have for stores over there but I would assume you should be able to find another master link and then use one of the old links your dad cut out. If not you could buy a couple links from a store. I am sure a farm store would have chain. Is it an o-ring chain?

WaimakRydah
09-04-2008, 03:08 AM
yes it is. I assumed dad asked for a standard link first because I told him to I already have 2 master links. I have parts of roller chain lying around but the rivets are larger on the o-ring.

Jonpin
09-04-2008, 04:42 AM
i had nothing but problems with a half link on my 110

WaimakRydah
09-04-2008, 05:12 AM
Dad said he might have some pieces of the link lying around so I will see what theyre like and if I can whip something up with them.

Dirtcrasher
09-04-2008, 07:27 PM
People call them different things......

I call them a "link" and a "link plate" - The link plate is equivalent to a master link.

Removing one link and one link plate is allot of chain.