PDA

View Full Version : can i mix water with muriatic acid to de-rust my tank?

kilabeez0
09-02-2008, 05:41 PM
i've done this before with red kote, and just got some more in the mail to do another tank. i only had 1 jug of acid and the tank on my 110 needed 2. i put the 1 jug in and filled the rest with water. i figure since it's diluted i'll let it sit for longer, but will it still be effective?

chris200x
09-02-2008, 05:52 PM
I believe your supposed to use distilled water if memory serves me correctly. but yes you can dilute it. (or maybe you are supposed to! lol)

kilabeez0
09-02-2008, 06:13 PM
well i didn't the first time, but this one is outside soaking now. i'll give it an hour or so and pour it out and see what's going on.

Dammit!
09-02-2008, 06:32 PM
When I did mine I Put a gallon of acid in the tank and filled it the rest of the way up with water right from the hose. It worked fine. Can't remember how long I let it sit there but it wasn't that long. You could see the reaction plain as day.

Macs
09-02-2008, 06:37 PM
you are suppose to dilute it 1:2 ratio with distilled water

kilabeez0
09-02-2008, 07:50 PM
well it's as distilled as my hose water is gonna get. came out great. dried it with acetone. i'm going to go mix acetone with the red kote so it dries quicker and thinner. i'll post back results.

SCEADU
09-02-2008, 08:09 PM
I bought a bottle of Naval jelly from home depot and a bag of decrotive rocks. Dumped the whole bottle of naval jelly in and a couple of handfuls of rocks. I then played the moroca for about 20 minutes and let it sit for and hour and shook it up real good again. dumped the rocks out and flushed it with water then Acetone and the inside looked brand new.