PDA

View Full Version : Headlight bulb for Big Red

tri snort
08-28-2008, 01:16 AM
I need a bulb for my 86 250Es. Does anybody know what size or the part# is. I bought one of Ebay, it was halogen after market bulb. It lasted about 2 weeks. The dim side when first then the high side. Is a Honda dealer the only place to get an OEM bulb. I still had the original bulb, but it only has the high beam working.

Andrew_250R
08-28-2008, 01:29 AM
I would check the price at your local honda dealer. I am sure they have one that will work. I couldn't imagine it could cost that much either, but you never know.

highspeed
08-28-2008, 01:31 AM
Actually I just picked up a bulf for an ATC 110 at a kawasaki dealer. Might need to expeand your horizons, Grasshopper

1984ATC200S
08-28-2008, 01:44 AM
kimpex snowmobile head light bulb like 8 bucks at Canadian tire , if the big red is the same as a 200s.

Taiser
08-28-2008, 07:01 AM
I got one off ebay for a yamaha once and it was fine...maybe you had bad luck. Did you touch the bulb with your bare fingers? The oil on your fingers will make them blow quickly.

tri snort
08-28-2008, 05:57 PM
I got one off ebay for a yamaha once and it was fine...maybe you had bad luck. Did you touch the bulb with your bare fingers? The oil on your fingers will make them blow quickly.
No, I learned about touching them halogens bulbs years ago. I screwed up more than I care to mention before I learned not to touch them. This still had the foam protective cover on it when I installed it. What little time it lasted, I really didn't care for the almost blue beam of light it put out. It was bright, but I think I prefer the more yellow color beam that the standard bulb puts out. I didn't know if the standard bulb it uses was used in other trikes or motorcycles.

tri snort
08-28-2008, 06:04 PM
I would check the price at your local honda dealer. I am sure they have one that will work. I couldn't imagine it could cost that much either, but you never know.
I know what you mean about the cost. I have a Kubota tractor that had a bulb go bad. I tried at all the local auto parts store. The bulb looked just like standard dollar fifty 1157 auto tail light bulb except it had a small metal tang on the base. Since I couldn't get one at the auto stores I call my Kubota dealer and ask for one. They said they would have to order it. I thought I might as well get two of them. I didn't ask the cost, thinking at the most 5.00$ each. A week later I went to pick them up and fainted when I was told 19.50$ EACH.

Taiser
08-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Ha tell me about the kubota's...SWEET tractor but MY GOD the bulbs are expensive. I did get a new complete fuel filter for it for 23 bucks...I was expecting about 100 so all the parts are not that bad, but still. Most parts are more than I thought overall, short hydraulic lines are about 100$. My neighbor has a Deere...and I thought my parts added up, got nothing on them, and it's a US company to boot...go figure! :D

What's your bota? Here's mine, a B7800, but it don't shine this much anymore LOL...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/taiser/Tractor/_MAM0001.jpg

Andrew_250R
08-28-2008, 07:29 PM
I know what you mean about the cost. I have a Kubota tractor that had a bulb go bad. I tried at all the local auto parts store. The bulb looked just like standard dollar fifty 1157 auto tail light bulb except it had a small metal tang on the base. Since I couldn't get one at the auto stores I call my Kubota dealer and ask for one. They said they would have to order it. I thought I might as well get two of them. I didn't ask the cost, thinking at the most 5.00$ each. A week later I went to pick them up and fainted when I was told 19.50$ EACH.

$20 a bulb, are you kidding me. That is outrageous!

atctim
08-28-2008, 08:14 PM
I have a Mazda Miata bulb in my big red - many automotive bulbs will fit. Take the bulb down to your local car parts store and have them hook you up :)

beets442
08-28-2008, 08:48 PM
I had the local dealer(sux!) do a tune up on my 350X and they for got to plug in the rectifier. Blew out 3 bulbs,both head lights and tail light too. $50 thru service honda to replace them and was the only place I could find them. I called Sulvania,and GE. If someone knows of a place to get them PLEASE let us know.BEETS

atctim
08-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Tractor supply can get them

see this post:

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=85945

tri snort
08-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Ha tell me about the kubota's...SWEET tractor but MY GOD the bulbs are expensive. I did get a new complete fuel filter for it for 23 bucks...I was expecting about 100 so all the parts are not that bad, but still. Most parts are more than I thought overall, short hydraulic lines are about 100$. My neighbor has a Deere...and I thought my parts added up, got nothing on them, and it's a US company to boot...go figure! :D

What's your bota? Here's mine, a B7800, but it don't shine this much anymore LOL...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/taiser/Tractor/_MAM0001.jpg

The tractor that I got ripped on the bulbs was a L2800, but I since then got rid of it and got a new B-3030. I had a bunch of problems with the L2800. The PTO went out of it with just 4 hours on the tractor. It happened again at 70 hours. My very first Kubota was a B-20 TLB. After I wore it out (over 3000 hours) I got a B2910. I traded the 2910 (2500 hours) for the POS L2800. I use my tractors in my business and they get used hard. I never had a problem with any except the L2800. It cost an arm and a leg to maintain them if you buy Kubota filters and oil. I don't, I get filters at a local auto parts store and my oil from Tractor Supply. Over all I don't think you can buy a better compact tractor than Kubota. How do you like your 7800? It's the same as my 3030 except the 3030 is a little more fancy and has the draft control PTO system. They have the same engine and tranny. I don't have a hoe for mine

Taiser
08-29-2008, 08:02 AM
Yeah I'm using the Kubota filters on mine, it's still under warranty. Not cheap, I do use a kubota "approved" SUDT though, the Kubota brand is not available here. I've had it for a year and half now, but it's only got about 100 hours on it. It's a tank! Other than a blown hydro line (dealers fault for not installing right causing it to rub on the loader arms, covered under warranty) and a fuel filter assembly (smashed by a tree but only cost 23$) it's given me zero problems!! I looked at the 3030, nice machine but the only thing that was really different was the PC for 3PT and that was not worth it to me because I leave the BH on all the time. I'm using it mostly now to build riding trails on my property. It drives through the bush like a tank and makes some sweet trails. This is he BEST thing I ever bought. I just wish I could put it to work to make money, my regular job keeps me too busy as it is!

Here is one I'm working on now, basically all the bush you see here was in the tractors way. This stretch is about 800 feet, only took me about 4 hours to clear. I have very sandy soil so I dug a pit on the property and once I scrape up the topsoil I put down the sand as a base. Once the grass comes in (takes less than a year) I can maintain the trail with a riding mower to keep it neat, the sand makes a perfect flat track...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/taiser/ATC/_MAM2702.jpg

and the ones I did last summer that's now been properly filled in and groomed and a year of fresh growth on them! I use them as walking trails too! I just drive down them once or twice a year with a mower to keep the grass manageable. The trails I ride the most I don't even have to mow! :D

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/taiser/ATC/_MAM2706.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/taiser/ATC/_MAM2710.jpg]

tri snort
08-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Man, you have a nice place there and I'm sure your Kubota has made a big difference in maintaining it. I do lawn install for several home builders and use mine with tiller, lawn gill or whatever it takes to prep for a seed bed. Also do reclamation for several local coal mines.

tri snort
08-29-2008, 03:48 PM
I have a Mazda Miata bulb in my big red - many automotive bulbs will fit. Take the bulb down to your local car parts store and have them hook you up :)
Did you have to do any modification for the Mazda bulb to work?? Is it just a standard headlight bulb?

tri snort
08-30-2008, 10:29 PM
I went to Auto Zone today and ask for a bulb for a Mazda Miada as atctim suggested. The bulb number that they gave was a Sylvania #9003. It looked like the old bulb. When I got home and installed it, it worked perfect. Time will tell how long. Thanks Atctim for the tip. I don't know about the other trikes, but it will fit a 250Es Big Red. The original bulb in my trike was a Stanley# A5988. The new bulb was 9.99$

ACCA
10-17-2014, 06:21 AM
$8.27 here http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem-parts/honda/1985/atc250es-big-red/headlight/bulb,-headlight-(12v~60w)-(a5988)-(stanley)/34901-950-003

Crazyktmmatt
10-17-2014, 12:47 PM
I got my 200es and '83 LT 125 bulb at napa.

The one was like $1.50 and the other was $1.62.

Keepah Rolln
10-17-2014, 07:22 PM
I been using the Mazda Miata bulb in my honda 250sx for many years..No problems and never blown yet...

Zach
10-19-2014, 10:45 PM
Use a Halogen car bulb H5 I think it is or an M5 motorcycle halogen bulb will also work from the auto parts store probably cost you $5