PDA

View Full Version : Tool carrying tips?

Dammit!
08-27-2008, 01:51 AM
Just wondering what you all use for carrying tools/items on your trikes. I've always used a leather fanny pack wrapped around the handlebars. This is the exact one I use (http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-LEATHER-FANNY-PACK_W0QQitemZ150287248982QQihZ005QQcategoryZ52360 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). I can carry quite a bit in that thing. I typically have a small Mag-lite, 2 spark plugs, jets, jet tool, zip ties, a 10mm and 12mm wrench, small adjustable wrench, reversible screwdriver, channel locks, allen wrenches and my GPS.

Anyway, just wondering if anybody has any other good ideas for carrying stuff on your trike. I'm trying to find a good way of carrying a complete tire repair kit on the R somewhere. I have a 6-pack rack that's not installed. That would be the easiest thing to do but I'm really not a fan of them. They stick out too far. If I had the tools and skill I'd be working on some kind of aluminum tool box to bolt on there somewhere (where the original goes probably). Alas, I suck. :lol:

While I'm on the subject, what are some items you like to carry on rides? The tire kit is the only thing I can think of that I'd like to have once I figure out where to put it but maybe there's some other tools that I haven't thought about that I should work on bringing along.

gizmo_22
08-27-2008, 02:00 AM
zip ties have always been a fan favorite of mine, and a small tube of dielectric grease and a roll of black tape (it gets wet where we ride alot lol) I usually throw all the stuff i need in a backpack, but i find it constricting when i want to throw the bike around... so i'll be looking for new ideas now.

Texas 200x
08-27-2008, 02:30 AM
I usually bring a small duffel bag containing a crescent wrench, screwdrivers, plyers, 10mm and 12mm wrenches, some tow rope, and a bottle of water (for me i live in S. TX). Then bungie cord it to my grab bar. I don't ride alone if its anywhere I can't get my truck back to or if I'd half to walk very far to get my truck. I'm too lazy to push something I should be riding. :(

super90
08-27-2008, 02:34 AM
I built an aluminum box that bolts to the grab bar mounts. its 7'' long and 4'' wide. Just latches shut. its waterproof and can carry most tools that you would need.

Dammit!
08-27-2008, 02:40 AM
I built an aluminum box that bolts to the grab bar mounts. its 7'' long and 4'' wide. Just latches shut. its waterproof and can carry most tools that you would need.

Lets see some pics! Detailed pics. :naughty:

Nick_R_23
08-27-2008, 03:28 AM
I usually stuff things into my airbox. Sparkplugs, tools, handwarmers, fuel line, railroad spikes, spare nuts/bolts, food, headlight bulbs, you name it and its been stashed there. :lol:

Dammit, if you dont end up using that 6 pack rack and want to get rid of it, Im interested. My stock grab bar has 2 cracks and I just hate it anyways lol, comepletely useless to put anything on.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

Dammit!
08-27-2008, 01:05 PM
I've been hanging on to it "just in case" but I might end up selling it soon. I really don't see myself using it. I don't even have it here at the moment actually. I let someone borrow it.

Bad Karma
08-27-2008, 01:23 PM
I use a Camelbak Mule for riding the trike and my CR500. It has a bunch of compartments, along with the drinking water. I carry a couple plugs, CO2 inflaters, knife, a multi-tool with a bunch of screwdriver bits, sockets, ratchet, wrenches, spare 6mm and 8mm flange bolts, first-aid stuff, cell phone, maps, permits, tire gauge, etc.

It all fits in the Mule, and I really don't even notice it when out riding. I don't have anything attached to the bike.

Macs
08-27-2008, 01:33 PM
I use my airbox alot also. It really comes in handy. If i am going to be doing a very long ride far away from any help. I attach a ammo/ dry box with u-bolts to my grab bar. It isnt the prettiest thing but works well. Also on my first 83r i built a little box right in front of the tail light between the frame. It gave a little extra space for some junk but broke often. I made it out 1/8" thick acrylic plastic. Heated it up and bent around the frame tubes. the bottom of the seat pan was the lid. Wasnt big enough for much. So i abandoned it and went back with the air box.

Russell 350X
08-27-2008, 01:39 PM
I built a plywood box for the Big Red so I can fit random tools, screwdrivers, crecent wrench, vice grips, 8,10,12,14, and 17mm wrench and sockets, spark plug, plug wrench, chain(to haul logs or someone else) and enough room for a chainsaw.

leokendall
08-27-2008, 01:52 PM
i also had a plywood box made for my big red, but after a few rides everything in the box bounced around and i hated the noice, also put more weight in the back. i still uses it if i'm going to be gone for a long time, but for the most part it's off.
( the main reason y i made it was because i couldn't find the right battery for the bike so i had a lawn tractor battery kicking around, and i placed it in the box.)

johnny's X
08-27-2008, 02:01 PM
I guess I suck. I take a six pack cooler and fill it with busch light. I maintain the crap out of my x before I go riding. I honestly only take a 10 and 12mm and vise grips at most. If it dies on me then it deserves to sit there until I get back. Knock on wood I have not had to wrench on my trike during a ride. Well only one time and all that took was a zip tie.

Dammit!
08-27-2008, 03:15 PM
I haven't needed to use my tools on the trail very often. Usually it's someone else that needs something but it's always nice to be prepared. Especially in the types of places I ride. Getting stranded in the desert sucks (been there... had a spark plug with me but no wrench. D'oh!). It wouldn't be fun to be stranded in the dunes either. The only thing I've really needed (other than the spare plug and wrench) would be a tire repair kit. I like having places to carry these things on the bike so it's always there. Don't like the idea of getting impailed on a tool in my camelback either. :lol:

Bad Karma
08-27-2008, 04:43 PM
I keep all the tools in an MSR tool wrap inside the Camelbak, no impalements yet. :D Forgot to mention, I also carry an extra clutch and brake lever, just in case...

Dammit!
08-27-2008, 05:25 PM
I keep forgetting you're in Glendale. We have to hook up for a ride this coming season. Where are you located anyway? I'm at 43rd and Peoria (on the Phoenix side of the street, lol)/

Bad Karma
08-27-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm near Bethany Home and 67th Ave. Yeah, we should get in some riding before all the areas get closed...

Dammit!
08-27-2008, 06:29 PM
I haven't done any arizona riding in a long time. Where do you usually go? Only places I've ridden the last couple years are the dunes and rasor road.

beets442
08-27-2008, 06:34 PM
When i'm in PA. riding, I use this. It has a clear cover for a map and I put card board inside to keep from dinging the tank. Wrap my tools( spark plug, wrenches,maps, phone, tow strap, water) in a towel and velcro straps... The bag has a strap that goes around gas cap lid and 1 hooks bottom of each side of tank.....http://www.target.com/ATVLogic-Tank-Top-Bag-Mossy-Oak/dp/B000OF62EE. BEETS

Bad Karma
08-27-2008, 06:54 PM
I haven't done any arizona riding in a long time. Where do you usually go? Only places I've ridden the last couple years are the dunes and rasor road.

Actually, I haven't ridden my 250R for quite a while, the last time was a couple years ago at the dunes, I think. I've been riding my dirt bike out at Pima & Dynamite, but that was just recently closed to motorized vehicles.

I was going to try out at Mile Marker 12, and probably Desert Wells near Florence Junction when it cools down. I haven't ridden at either of those places yet.

83ATC185S
08-27-2008, 07:56 PM
I just use my jacket to carry all my tools, I should do something like you guys!

300rman
08-27-2008, 07:58 PM
that foam thing that goes across the center of your handlebars, not really sure what its called.

i cut out a spark-plug shape in the foam so a spark plug fits in there nice and tight, and i out the wrench in the seam of the foam, then i wrap the velcro sleeve around it, and bam! carry-on spark plug and wrench that noone can see.

Tri-Z Pilot
08-27-2008, 10:09 PM
yeah i found spark plugs in the r airbox when i bought it, cant believe i never thought about that (of course z boxes were a little tight). think im just gonna run a pod filter on the r and cap the stock airbox for storage, im not much of a muddin guy anyway.

Gag_Halfront
08-27-2008, 11:07 PM
I always thought it would be cool if someone made a plastic toolbox that fit between the frame rails and had an LED tail light included in it so you could just bolt the hole thing on where the tail light is supposed to go and recover all that space. Maybe it could be attached with the grab bar bolts or something.

Some day when I start up my own plastics manufacturing outfit that's the first thing I'll make. ;-)

Name Brand
08-28-2008, 02:32 AM
I use a set of saddlebags that fit over the main tank. They hold alot of stuff and usually also have a big waterbottle and snacks stuffed inside. They come right off the machine so i can secure it in my truck when I'm away.

For tools/repair stuff here's what I carry;

-Wrenches and sockets in 8, 10, 12, 14, 17mm and a socket extension
-Spark Plug socket
-Small wire brush
-#2 Phillips and flathead screwdriver
-Leatherman
-Roll of electrical tape
-About four feet of 1/4 inch rope and two small caribeaners
-two 18 inch bunjee cords (in Red to match!)

I also have a few sets of earplugs ( if we do some shooting), a bandanna, a small first aid kit, etc...

There's also a towrope in the rear trunk.

Not the best picture of the bags... but here ya go!

highspeed
08-28-2008, 04:27 AM
You should only carry tools if you're expecting to breakdown. ;) As said before, I have a saddlebag.

firemen1219
04-12-2009, 09:39 PM
I made a toolbox out of 6in pvc pipe about 14 inches long. I bolted a piece of angle iron along the side and mounted it where the original tool box went. I used a wingnut operated pvc cap for the opening end (you just loosen the wingnut and pull it out) and just a 6 in rubber pvc cap on the back end with a pipe clamp. Its definitly water tight and all the supplies i bought at home depot. oh and i painted it all black so it kinda hard to tell its even under there.

firemen1219
04-12-2009, 09:41 PM
the tube is big enough to hold a full can of fix a flat, wrenches, zip ties, pliers, black tape. and tire repair kit!

honda_atc200es
04-12-2009, 10:23 PM
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa213/foxstang89/Bigred/?action=view&current=m_ff6110a2284242be930095821a8b957a.jpg

Gosh i miss that bike...

madmel777
04-12-2009, 10:36 PM
i don't carry tools on anything on my body ... i can just see rolling it over an the screw driver in my pouch stabbing me wile im out in the woods now im bleeding and broke down... i still actually had the stock tool box on my 350x and would stuff what i thought i needed in there ... most times my kid is with me and can pull me back to the truck if any thing happens

outtaline
04-12-2009, 10:49 PM
4inch pvc with rubber cap and hose clamp works great fixaflat vice grips zipties black tape for fixes and medical 10 12 14mm wrenches screwdrivers tire plug kit spark plug and chain saw wrench cause it takes less room fuel line couple hose clamps some 8 and 10 mm bolts and nuts box 22cal bullets we always carry got charged buy a hog last week with no reverse and they were comin down the trail towards us

ThinktwiceZ71
04-12-2009, 11:09 PM
i like the pvc idea , i might have to try to make something like that :beer

Thorpe
04-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Drink till you dont care it broke!!! I like it!

I guess I suck. I take a six pack cooler and fill it with busch light. I maintain the crap out of my x before I go riding. I honestly only take a 10 and 12mm and vise grips at most. If it dies on me then it deserves to sit there until I get back. Knock on wood I have not had to wrench on my trike during a ride. Well only one time and all that took was a zip tie.

NewfieBish
04-12-2009, 11:42 PM
i made a gas can carrier out of flat bar, just buckled the flat bar around the can and used rivets to connect the ends of the flat bar, and then i made it so it could bolt on with my grab bar's mounts. Im gonna make a plywood box and fix it to the side of the gas can carrier. But before this, I always just put a sparkplug in my pocket and stuff a thumbwrench down in my rubber boot haha

EDIT: Hey i never noticed those posts about the pvc pipe, but now that i think about it, thats defenitely what im gonna use instead of a plywood box now! Thanks guys!

Dammit!
04-13-2009, 10:09 AM
I made a toolbox out of 6in pvc pipe about 14 inches long. I bolted a piece of angle iron along the side and mounted it where the original tool box went. I used a wingnut operated pvc cap for the opening end (you just loosen the wingnut and pull it out) and just a 6 in rubber pvc cap on the back end with a pipe clamp. Its definitly water tight and all the supplies i bought at home depot. oh and i painted it all black so it kinda hard to tell its even under there.

Post up a couple pics of it if you can.

firehart
04-13-2009, 10:18 AM
I don't carry tools on my trikes but I do have a box on my Rancher.

sandpuppi101
04-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Something I do now is tape thing's like a masterlink for my chain to the front brake cable-zip tie's in the air box and a few other thing's.

honda_atc200es
04-13-2009, 12:29 PM
My cousin had a cool set up on his quadzilla, he used pvc pipe as well and atatched it to the rear underside of the plastics, had a cap at one end and you could unscrew the other, i swear i thought that it came from the factory like that

keister
04-13-2009, 12:48 PM
We take spark plugs / plug wrench, vice grips, tow rope, and toilet paper. This stuff fits in a fanny pack or zipper on a small soft side cooler.
I have found that having the stuff on hand greatly reduces the chances of needing it.
Mostly one of the wheelers in our group still have the stock underseat tool kit as well.
Note: Vice grips will work as an emergency shift lever if needed.