PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the old dirtbike to trike conversions?

VenomRS4
08-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Back in the day, wasnt it pretty popular to convert dirtbikes to trikes? Especially when it came to racing? Im not necessarily talking about tricky dicks conversions like the Cagivas, Huskys, etc. Im more talking about KX, CR, etc 125s and 80s that were converted to trikes via kits. Ive seen them for sale before and every now and then someone on 3ww finds one somewhere. But I am under the impression that these conversions were fairly common in the early-mid 80s. I just figured there would be more survivors than there are.

Does anyone have any info? Who made the kits back then? Does anyone have one of these conversions? Id love to see some pics.

3Wheelers4Life
08-26-2008, 08:34 PM
maybe this could help you some? im not sure, but i think A+ may have made some of the conversion kits.
http://3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=79975

VenomRS4
08-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Can anyone else chimein here? I remember a while back someone found a kx125 or something in a salvage yard that had been converted to a trike. I cant seem to find the thread though.

dizasterzrfun69
08-28-2008, 03:25 PM
we believe its an 84 kx80 conversion. it is rough and needs completely restored. im planning on re-building it but i need a parts bike for it. if you search threads under my name it should come up.

Kevin

Vealmonkey
08-28-2008, 03:47 PM
It seems alot of those conversion trikes, rarely stood the test of time. Alot that used the original bike frames were heavy and kind of miserable anywhere except for the dunes. I'm sure some are still in service. I have an rd350 powered trike in pieces, but it is in an aftermarket frame. There were pictures of a "trike graveyard" out west way that had lots of neat old bike to trike conversions in it, but as far as I know, there haven't been any trikes come out of there. If they have, they haven't filtered over this way.