PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap: 1984 Honda ATC 200ES -> 1983 Honda ATC 200

joecool85
08-24-2008, 04:56 PM
I have an '84 Big Red 200ES with all kinds of issues, the frame is rusty, the rear end is screwed and the plastic is awful to name a few things. I also have an '83 ATC 200 with mint plastic, no rust (very little anyway) but an engine with zero compression that came with no oil in the crankcase (meaning there could be lots of other issues with it).

Just so everyone knows, I don't know the history on either machine, they came as a trade when I got rid of my beat up '88 Ford Ranger.

The engine on the Big Red starts easy and runs mint, can I swap the engine from the Big Red onto the ATC 200 and keep the regular chaindrive tranny? If so I'd have a running wheeler and could part out what's left over from the Big Red. :w00t:

Russell 350X
08-24-2008, 09:58 PM
I belive you can swap the motors fairly easy, you have to put a dent in the front of the frame where the starter would be.

joecool85
08-25-2008, 06:09 AM
I'll keep you guys updated on what I decide to do. Is there any way of keeping the Big Red's pullstart if I swap it? The other one is gone. Today I am going to go talk to my mechanic and see if he can weld the pinion gear to the axle on the Big Red, if he can for cheap I am going to try that. Worst case I blow the weld real quick and decide not to keep riding the Big Red and then I do the engine swap or something. No trail rides anytime soon though.