PDA

View Full Version : Broken diff?

joecool85
08-24-2008, 03:05 PM
So I got this '84 200ES Big Red as part of a trade for a Ford Ranger I got rid of, the diff was off and it had no u-joint. I'm waiting for a new u-joint to come in, courtesy of ebay. I'm working on the rear end and figured I'd give it a kero flush since it seemed to be old and the vent tubes were cut short (probably to aid in quick removal whenever the guy took the rear end off). Sure enough when I drained the gear oil there was a little water and rust bits in there. I did the kero flush and as I was rotating the axle (by hand, not mounted to the machine), it stopped rotating smoothly, then ground a little and stopped spinning the driveshaft. I removed the cover and noticed that the ring and pinion spin great and are in really good shape, but the axle isn't firmly connected to the ring gear...sometimes it spins, sometimes it doesn't. Is this something I can fix with a weld or something of that nature? I can take pics if need be.

HuntingFor1
08-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Sounds like your splines are worn out. Might can get lucky with a new axle but probably going to need the axle and a gear set too. Probably the reason he had it off to start with.

joecool85
08-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Sounds like your splines are worn out. Might can get lucky with a new axle but probably going to need the axle and a gear set too. Probably the reason he had it off to start with.

Is there any reason I can't weld the gear to the axle?

HuntingFor1
08-24-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm not real sure. It's been a while since I worked on one of these bikes to remember how the rear end goes together. I do know that you will have to take the rear differential appart to weld it so you don't burn the seals and you will have to be able to put it back together with the axle welded to the gear. So long as you can re-assemble it and the weld doesn't get in the way I don't see where you realy have anything to loose.

joecool85
08-24-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm not real sure. It's been a while since I worked on one of these bikes to remember how the rear end goes together. I do know that you will have to take the rear differential appart to weld it so you don't burn the seals and you will have to be able to put it back together with the axle welded to the gear. So long as you can re-assemble it and the weld doesn't get in the way I don't see where you realy have anything to loose.

After you take the cover off there aren't any seals in the way of where you would need to weld it, the pinion shaft comes out all the way to where the seal mounts - pull that cover, weld it and should be good to go.

I'm thinking about not bothering though, I've read that welding the axle to the wheel hub normally only lasts a few weeks to a few months then it's a problem again, I'd imagine this is the same.

joecool85
08-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Well, it needs a new rear end. The brake assembly is broken as well, part of the cast aluminum housing on the inside where the shoes mount is broken clean off. I had the axle welded to the ring gear just so I can make the thing move on it's own power (I've never had it moving on it's own and want to make sure the transmission works in all gears etc before buying another rear end). I'll keep you all updated.

Also one of the hub's splines are also stripped, I'm going to put it on the axle, drill a hole between where the axle and the hub is (removing metal from both) and screw in a metal screw, it should work enough to test the machine out. Like I said, it's going to need another rear end anyway.

I *do* know the engine runs mint, I had it running last week.

Jonpin
08-26-2008, 04:20 AM
uh oh going to do one of these "i did not do this its how i got my bike"
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/1053/pict0209ho1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/1053/pict0209ho1.fc45c6bb26.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=520&i=pict0209ho1.jpg)

joecool85
08-26-2008, 06:14 AM
uh oh going to do one of these "i did not do this its how i got my bike"

Nope, that is how I got the bike. This is my first ATV, I've had lots of other things (motorcycles, snowmobiles, mt bikes etc) but never an ATV/three wheeler. Apparently this stuff happens a lot though from the reading I've been doing.

Or did you mean when I go to sell it I'll say that? If so, again - no. I'm a very honest person and will let anyone who buys it know whats what. My brother is thinking about buying it once I get it moving on it's own power. I told him I'd let him have it for $150 since it runs well but needs tires (the current ones hold air, but are cracked pretty bad and really worn), a rear end, brake cables, a headlight and a battery to be fully functioning.

After my u-joint comes in I'll see how it goes and keep you guys updated. I'll probably post pics whether it goes good or bad.

Jonpin
08-26-2008, 01:06 PM
lol no i wasnt trying to say you going to say that to anyone i was just stating that i didnt do that

joecool85
08-27-2008, 07:25 AM
lol no i wasnt trying to say you going to say that to anyone i was just stating that i didnt do that

haha, yeah, after I posted I kinda figured that. :beer

My u-joint is suppose to come in today, so here's hoping I'll be riding this afternoon :w00t:

Jonpin
08-27-2008, 01:40 PM
haha, yeah, after I posted I kinda figured that. :beer

My u-joint is suppose to come in today, so here's hoping I'll be riding this afternoon :w00t:

Good luck to you with that

joecool85
08-27-2008, 03:42 PM
It did come in today, and looks almost new! It fits nice and tight on the drivetrain, so at least *those* splines are good. I won't be getting it together today though, gotta deal with swapping tires on my car and working on my fiance's car today. Here's hoping for tomorrow though.

Jonpin
08-27-2008, 04:02 PM
hopefuly the worn splines dont wear out the good ones it has me worried on my kicker shaft on my 350x i have a great kicker to replace the old one but the shaft splines are half gone

joecool85
08-28-2008, 06:07 AM
The only worn splines I'm dealing with are on the right side hub, luckily I have a junk hub to throw on to that side and two good hubs (one for the left, and one for the right once I replace the rear end). I got the rear end mounted last night, what a pain in the ass! But it's on there now. Later this morning I will be mounting the hubs, tires and carb - then it's time to test it carefully in my parent's field. No brakes for now so I'll be going pretty slow lol.

joecool85
08-29-2008, 08:15 AM
It rides! My brother and I rode it around my parent's field for a little over an hour yesterday. It'll go over anything! We did a few ditch crossings too, not bad if you are careful. My brother bought it off me last night, so now I need to come up with a wheeler, he's always wanted a Big Red.