PDA

View Full Version : need help with electric start on big red

blueflash
08-19-2008, 11:36 PM
heh guys I just bought a 1984 big red es 200, so Im not to familiar with it yet. Anyways I went mud bogging and everything was fine until I washed it off and now the electric start wont work. It isnt getting power to the starter, I have checked the under the seat fuse and its fine. Any ideas on were to start looking would be appreciated.

firehart
08-20-2008, 12:31 AM
The water pressure may have loosened one of the connections. I'd start at the starter and clean all of the connections.

userj8670
08-20-2008, 10:21 AM
take a hammer and GENTLY tap the relay. Sometimes mine acts funky and that usually fixes it. A hammer is the tool to fix anything ;)

blueflash
08-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Sorry to sound like a dip, but I am a novice when it comes to fixing stuff. Were is the relay?

ScottZJ
08-20-2008, 12:25 PM
The switch is the button you push to start the trike. Alot of times it gets rusty or full of mud that blocks the metal plates from touching. Sometimes they are so worn out they just dont work good anymore. You could get a new on/off switch off ebay with hopefully a good working starter (if you cant fix yours), or you could get a push button starter from an auto store and bypass the non-working one.

cybrman
08-20-2008, 02:32 PM
The relay is near the rear of the bike, mine is on the left side next to the battery on my 250sx. It is a small black cylinder, one end connects to the battery and the other connects to the starter. The switch on the handlebars connects the two sending power to the starter. I have a problem where there is a short in one of the wires coming from the switch and simply fiddling with them will make mine work. I would guess your problem is simliar, a short somewhere.
You can try taking a battery charger and ground to the trike frame(or get some jumper cables and use the battery already on the trike) and touching the positive to the bolt on the top of the starter (where the wire comes to from the relay).
If it turns over then you have a short somewhere. If it doesn't you have internal problems in the starter itself.
Good luck

blueflash
08-21-2008, 11:36 AM
okay, thanks I will try that this weekend. My trikes at my trailer and I will be heading up there on friday. I figure it was a short somewere because I wasnt getting power to the starter when I checked it with a ohmeter. So It was definetely somewere between the push button and the starter.

userj8670
08-21-2008, 11:49 AM
TAke a voltmeter with you and this way you can tell where your getting power and where your not. Also watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgD5zAQSPu8&feature=related in the video the guy walks out to his trike and touches his lighter to the relay (since he doesnt have a starter button) to start the trike. This should help you find its location and what it looks like. Dont worry about being a novice..i still am but i learn as i go along:)

Jim