PDA

View Full Version : price check 250r

BOB MARLIN
08-19-2008, 11:29 AM
I have a chance to buy a 1985 250r. Plastics are in decent shape but faded,aftermarket seatcover,
twist throtle, tires are basically used up,rear rims show some bad rock damage. Bike seems to be complete except for the missing heat shields because of aftermarket pipe.

What do you guys think is a fair price for someting like this?
I have pics,but don'tknow how to post them.

smvorndran
08-19-2008, 11:51 AM
$400-$900. There are many variables, but I'd expect that range with your description.

smvorndran

Hoosier_Daddy
08-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Does it run good?

BOB MARLIN
08-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Yes,
everything mecanical seems to be fine. Just mainly not as clean looking as I like.
The condition of the rear rims scares me. He also says he has got the thumb
throttle and tool kit to go with it.

ovhonda1
08-20-2008, 12:40 AM
if it runs good and the compression is good, should be 800-900 bike. check the bearings/ etc and make a low offer of 700. see what happens.

BOB MARLIN
08-20-2008, 10:40 AM
I talked to him on the phone last night. Going to look at it tonight. He said the top end has been reworked a few times but does not remember how much over size the bore is now.

How many sizes over can can you go on these things?. If it is at it's limit now
whats it cost to re-sleeve it?.

DeePa
08-20-2008, 11:04 AM
250r cylinders are readily available on their stock bore on ebay, so resleeve would be the last option in my opinion, and would probably cost 300-400 bucks for a good job.

They can be bored 8 times, up to 70mm i think?

When you go look, check out the rear axle bearings, swinger bearings, steering stem bearings, and stuff like that.

Beat up oem rims are the least of my worries. Chances are you need tires, and you might as well buy a set of rims at the same time from rockymountain, the tires come mounted on the new rims, just swap em and go.

If it runs good, mechanically sound, but doesnt look too good, id say 1300 tops.

Mike

BOB MARLIN
08-20-2008, 11:19 AM
The guy sent me some realy good pictures,I just can't get the picture posting to work for me. I think they are just to big.

I does have after market plastic on it . Is that a big deal to the value?.
I have the same fenders on my '81 and they look ok but they are no where near
as good as the oem.

Taiser
08-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Yeah the aftermarkets are not great but OEM is super expensive. I got no problem with aftermarket plastic, that's what I use when I'm running it. OEM is just for show now! :D

clong
08-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Allot of small things can bring or take value away. If it has any of the following original equipment, add value
tool box w tools
kill switch and it works
plastics and are the decals all there
bars with grips
grab bar
lgihts front and rear and they work
seat
skid plates front and rear

All these little items cost cash to replace on ebay so add those up in your head.
I would say what you described between 900 and 1100 bucks.