PDA

View Full Version : Can this be fixed?

Frankencelery
08-17-2008, 09:24 PM
The crack on my ATC90 rear fender keeps growing, and I'm starting to see some sagging. Need to fix it soon. I've looked for replacement fenders, and these don't seem to exist anymore. On a plastic fender, I would drill a hole to keep the crack from going further, but this is an old fiberglass fender, and I don't know if that trick works.

Does anybody have any experience with fixing these? I don't want to resort to zip ties on this one if I can help it....

mike from long island
08-17-2008, 09:37 PM
When you first saw the crack you should have drilled a small hole at the end of the crack to prevent it from continuing.But it is fiberglass.So go and get a fiberglass guy to fix it.Or get one of those kits and do it yourself!!.

Hoosier_Daddy
08-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Yeah, since it's fiberglass you can use bondo or that fiberglass stuff from Wal mart. Should fix it right up.

tanks350x
08-17-2008, 10:40 PM
go down to your local hardware store and pick yourself up some shoo goo, put it on the bottom side of the fenders, it drys clear and its pretty rugged stuff, plus it allows the plastic to flex also, I used it on my 350X front fender and it worked great

300rman
08-18-2008, 01:01 PM
dont use bondo. it will break off.

fiberglass it up from the underside, then use Duraglass to fill it in from the top.
sand, repaint, VIOLA! crack-be-gone.

Frankencelery
08-18-2008, 02:51 PM
I knew bondo wasn't good for structural repairs. I'll go the fiberglass route, but I'm afraid it's going to end up being a winter project, with all the other stuff going on. Can I drill a hole to keep it from worsening, or does that not work on fiberglass?

Vealmonkey
08-18-2008, 03:00 PM
The drilling the hole method is ok for a small crack, but if the crack is as big as yours and it is in a stress area, like around the seat where there is wait, drilling the hole won't help now. The only way is to repair the fiberglass. If you ride anymore on those fenders, the will crack worse. To repair the crack, besides having the fiberglass repair kit, you will have to clean and sand the top and bottom of the fenders. The bottom of the fenders is where you really want to build up the fiberglass repair the most. The top of the fenders around the crack, you will want to actually sand down some lower than the surrounding area, so when you add your fiberglass and resin, it will actually be filling in a small valley if that makes any sense. If not, once painted, the top fender repair will stick out like a sore thumb as it will be a raised area. And if you just add fiberglass over the unprepped top fender, when you go to sand the area down, you will be removing your repair which is really no good at all. If you know anyone who works at a boat repair shop, they should be familiar with repairing fiberglass if you don't think that you can handle the job. But you really need to repair those fenders, before they are at the point of being unfixable, which they are quickly approaching that point now.

sandrion
08-18-2008, 06:13 PM
my cousins done that i just got a lot of super-glue until i had time to go get some stuff to actually fix it the right way super-glue or that paint on kind in the brown bottle.:)

Hoosier_Daddy
08-18-2008, 06:34 PM
dont use bondo. it will break off.

fiberglass it up from the underside, then use Duraglass to fill it in from the top.
sand, repaint, VIOLA! crack-be-gone.
I meant that he could use Bondo brand fiberglass repair stuff that they carry at wal mart. they also have some other brand of fiberglass stuff too. Don't use regular bondo. Bondo is actually a brand name by the way.