PDA

View Full Version : 350x Back bearings change?

cody2
08-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Picking up a 1985 honda atc 350x soon, it just needs new wheel bearings on the back, is that something i could do myself? I know how they are and stuff but how does the bearings work on one of those old 3 wheelers, same idea as my kfx? Any pics of this area would be good thanks in advance. Also what could i expect for power from this machine? Im only paying 950 so when i post pics dont expect anything that nice.

SWIGIN
08-16-2008, 02:52 AM
axle bearings are axle bearings....if you did them on one bike you can do any bike

tanks350x
08-16-2008, 07:43 AM
All I have to say is, I hope that your swinger doesn't look like this when you get it, I didn't even bother to try to fix this one. Right to ebay I went, and got all new stuff
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll124/tankispmaximus/08d0e441.jpg
I couldn't even adjust the chain, or get the lock nut loose, so good luck

deathman53
08-16-2008, 09:18 AM
yeah, it depends how the condition is. If you can't move the carrier, don't even bother. If you can move the carrier, thats a start. One thing that some people didn't think about is if the brake nut is seized to the axle also. You know how to get out the carrier?? Once you get it out, If you have new bearings, put them in the freezer 1-2 hours atleast. Remove the seals from the carrier, heat the center of the carrier with the torch(propare) or put in on a hot plate/oven@300. Take a punch and slide the center tube to the side and hit the edges of the bearings, a few good hits and they should come out. Once out, clean the carrier. Heat the carrier back up(if it cooled down). Get those bearings from the freezer and they should drop right in, don't forget the center tube between the two. Use 2 sockets/piece of pipe and hold the bearings in place. Once everything is cool, put grease on the seals and they should go in easy.

cody2
08-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks, im going to look at it next week and i plan on inspecting every aspect of it before i make my decision. Thanks for the help though, deathman i saved your comments in a notepad file for if i bring this thing home.

SWIGIN
08-16-2008, 02:59 PM
if the carrier moves then even if the axle nut is rusted on you can just cut it off and all you need is a new nut